Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WW1 & WW2 Medals

• 03-08-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to the information given on another forum on boards recently, I was able to get lots of information about my great grandfather and his military service

In the past few days my aunt unearthed a great find in her attic, his campaign medals from WWI, thought I'd share them with the forum

From left to right

1. The British War Medal, 1914-18 (Established on 26th July 1919), also known as 'Squeak’
    2. The Allied Victory Medal, also known as 'Wilfred'
    3. 1939-1946 The Emergency Service Medal - Local Security Forces (Na Caomhnoiri Aitiula)
    4. The 1914-15 Star, established in December 1918, also known as 'Pip'
    5. War Medal 1939-1945 (belonged to my great uncle who was at Dunkirk and was lost on the ss Lancastria)
    6. The Allied Victory Medal, also known as 'Wilfred' (not sure why there are 2 of them)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think you forgot the picture?

Sounds great though, a nice find and family historical significance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eddhorse wrote: »
    I think you forgot the picture?

Sounds great though, a nice find and family historical significance.

oops sorry

Pic now attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

the medal you have as the 1914-1915 star is actually the 1914 star or mons star as it was know, a more rarer medal than the 1914-1915 star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dolittle wrote: »
    the medal you have as the 1914-1915 star is actually the 1914 star or mons star as it was know, a more rarer medal than the 1914-1915 star

Great thanks for spotting this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

Look at the rims of the British War and Victory medals, they will be named.

The two Victory medals are to two different soldiers.

Stephen

• Advertisement
Advertisement