Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

paddy Jackson replacement for season?

• 02-08-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just read something on Facebook that ulster are preparing for the possibility of losing both olding and Jackson for the entire season as they deal with the charges they face, looking to draft in a new 10 - who do you think they could the jersey to? Academy player? Someone like Gareth steenson?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

:o
    michaelp97 wrote: »
    Just read something on Facebook that ulster are preparing for the possibility of losing both olding and Jackson for the entire season as they deal with the charges they face, looking to draft in a new 10 - who do you think they could the jersey to? Academy player? Someone like Gareth steenson?

Steenson won't be an option.

Here's an article on the Logan (Ulster CEO) interview.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/40796481

Rumour says they are looking at a nie signing and that they have had one name rejected by the IRFU on financial grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Ruan Pienaar perhaps at 10? Oh the folly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd love to see Ross Byrne as a starting outhalf for one of the provinces. He was an able back up in the winter months when the our 1st and 2nd choice 10's were injured.

But given that Carbery is injured and Sexton is Sexton, I doubt he'll be allowed move.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    I'd love to see Ross Byrne as a starting outhalf for one of the provinces. He was an able back up in the winter months when the our 1st and 2nd choice 10's were injured.

But given that Carbery is injured and Sexton is Sexton, I doubt he'll be allowed move.

Carbery is fit and Sexton will be back on schedule. But both will be on player welfare as they are needed by the national team. Meaning Byrne will be a regular in our 23 for the season. I'm sure he'll start his fair share too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »

As posted on the Leinster thread, Carbery's absence was estimated at 4-6 weeks by the Irish coaching team. He should be back in full training at this stage. He certainly should be fully available in a month.

I'd be on board with Byrne going north for 1-2 months to allow Ulster sign a good quality player following the completion of the domestic southern hemisphere seasons but, as Interested Observer pointed out previously, Byrne would be cup tied if Ulster played him in the ECC which would hugely devalue him for Leinster meaning, if he's to go, it would probably be for the season.

Not sure I'd be on board with that given the injury profiles of both Carbery and Sexton. But Byrne is too good to be 3rd choice at a province, in fairness. It's a waste of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    Meaning Byrne will be a regular in our 23 for the season. I'm sure he'll start his fair share too.

He'll be a regular for sections of the season when Sexton is under international protection i.e. the first month, November and the 6N. He's likely to get less game time than last season given Carbery spent a couple of months sidelined which coincided with Sexton being injured. Unless he leapfrogs Carbery (not out of the question at all), he'll be out of the 23 come the ECC matches.

I would imagine he could be looking at his number of starts cut significantly this season if Carbery remains fit (and we've a serviceable full back available). He'll probably get the two SA away games and some of the lesser opposition starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Couldn't we just merge this into the Ulster thread?

Advertisement