Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does 'Being Progressive' mean to you?

Options
  • 29-07-2017 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Friends of mine throw around the word progressive with regards to society. I think, in essence they mean fairness. However, I've noticed that those who talk about progressiveness, are primarily left wing. I know of one person who identifies as kind of a social justice warrior who preaches (usually from the high stool). If you say anything remotely to the right of Stalin, your labeled a sexist/bigot/etc. As an objective and rational person who is politically in the centre, these types of virtue signalers annoy the ****e out of me. I think that these types use this type of social outrage because of their own deep seated guilt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

lufties wrote: »
    Friends of mine throw around the word progressive with regards to society. I think, in essence they mean fairness. However, I've noticed that those who talk about progressiveness, are primarily left wing. I know of one person who identifies as kind of a social justice warrior who preaches (usually from the high stool). If you say anything remotely to the right of Stalin, your labeled a sexist/bigot/etc. As an objective and rational person who is politically in the centre, these types of virtue signalers annoy the ****e out of me. I think that these types use this type of social outrage because of their own deep seated guilt.

Most " progressives " are actually " regressive " they do not want to have a conversation only to preach. They are right, everyone who has a different opinion is wrong & will " shut you down " because you must be a fascist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Progressive means following the line laid down for you by others!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Progressive means following the line laid down for you by others!
    For me, progressive means a good healthcare system, not paying for services twice (via general taxation), better labour laws, better family laws, better drug laws.
    However, it seems that this term has been hi-jacked by guilt ridden people who like to take the moral high ground and virtue signal. Even a lad I went to school with. One night I made a throwaway comment about feminism having told women that its good to have kids in their late 30s. You'd swear I pissed in his pint! He said it was a sexist remark. I never bothered with the ****er again after that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If this thread is going to be an excuse to have a go at progressives then I'm locking it. I'm giving it a chance for now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't question mod warnings on thread please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I would understand socially progressive as accepting everyone, especially minorities, for the way they are and trying to listen to their concerns and address them and move toward a more integrated society in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Thomas__

What does 'Being Progressive' mean to you

To work out, support and follow developed policies for improvements for and from within the society with as much balance as possible to give as many people a fair share in benefit and responsibility. It is future orientated and when looking to the past, set out to avoid past mistakes and to righten those committed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

To try alter or change policies to benefit all not just minorities

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Back in the day "progressive" meant socially conscious and concerned about equal rights. Meanings have changed for many political terms since the advent of social media though, and now, just as "right wing" has come to mean anyone who expresses a view that immigration should be anything other than completely uncontrolled, "progressive" has come to mean holding the view that straight white males are the epitome of evil and any behaviour whatsoever, no matter how violent, misogynistic, obnoxious, or illegal by anyone who isn't a white straight male is above reproach.

Final warning, if people want to rant then go somewhere else.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's a vague enough word, that you can refer to anybody who agrees with your point of view as "progressive" !
    It tends to mean somebody who might have referred to themself as "liberal" in the past, but agrees with controls to compel peopel to be liberal, Therefore "liberal" is not really suitable word anymore - therefore progressive is used.
    That's my understanding at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I would understand socially progressive as accepting everyone, especially minorities, for the way they are and trying to listen to their concerns and address them and move toward a more integrated society in the future.

More of a communist stance so!

Get everyone thinking the same & to hell with individualism?

not necessarily, we can still have a society that encourages individualism, of which i truly agree with, but to make sure its a society of inclusivity.

i find it odd and some what disturbing that some, some how think theres a limit of ideologies available to us such as neoliberalism and marxism etc.

Wanderer78 wrote: »

not necessarily, we can still have a society that encourages individualism, of which i truly agree with, but to make sure its a society of inclusivity.

i find it odd and some what disturbing that some, some how think theres a limit of ideologies available to us such as neoliberalism and marxism etc.
    The reason I've asked about being progressive, is that it seems to be synonomous with cultural Marxism. The moderator has explicitly said to not have a go at 'progressives', very ironic and speaks volumes, considering the question being asked in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

To me it means progress, wanting the world to move on, attitudes, policies, laws...for better or worse.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    To me it means progress, wanting the world to move on, attitudes, policies, laws...for better or worse.
    True, I guess though one person's progressive is another's regressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

It's selling an undefined concept, IMO. Allowing abortion in the state would be progressive to some. Then we'd our own Progressive Democrats. Thatcher might have thought herself progressive, possibly Bertie too. Not to forget the whole concept of New Labour in Britain.
    Generally it's a broad term for a new forward way of looking at things, but it's in the eye of the beholder IMO.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

"Progressive" is the opposite of "conservative".

A conservative is someone who wants to keep things as they are; someone who resists change. A progressive is someone who welcomes change (aka "progress").

In a political context, conservatives tend, in broad brush strokes, to be the "haves". It's a concept that is readily associated with privilege. If you have an inherent advantage in life, it's unsurprising that you want to keep things as they are. If you don't have the same advantages, it's unsurprising that you'd want things to change.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "Progressive" is the opposite of "conservative".

A conservative is someone who wants to keep things as they are; someone who resists change. A progressive is someone who welcomes change (aka "progress").

In a political context, conservatives tend, in broad brush strokes, to be the "haves". It's a concept that is readily associated with privilege. If you have an inherent advantage in life, it's unsurprising that you want to keep things as they are. If you don't have the same advantages, it's unsurprising that you'd want things to change.

ive always liked ha-joon chang's use of the term 'kicking away the ladder';)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

It's to me about giving control of the means of production to make goods & products to the people who produce them through their own labour. Creating a classless society.

• Advertisement

It's to me about giving control of the means of production to make goods & products to the people who produce them through their own labour. Creating a classless society.

Is that anarchy or libertarianism?

lufties wrote:

Is there a difference?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If this thread is going to be an excuse to have a go at progressives then I'm locking it. I'm giving it a chance for now.
    Final warning, if people want to rant then go somewhere else.
    The reason I've asked about being progressive, is that it seems to be synonomous with cultural Marxism. The moderator has explicitly said to not have a go at 'progressives', very ironic and speaks volumes, considering the question being asked in the thread?

Mod note:

And there we have it. OP despite several warnings you insisted on using this thread as a way to have a go at people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement