Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Storm Hits Istanbul

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wow thats savage!
    But as a weather enthusiast I couldn't help but think how awesome that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Sweet Jeebus that was one angry storm, and while amazing as a fan of extreme weather my enthusiasm would fade very quickly if my car was caught out in that:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wouldn't fancy trying to go out these revolving doors !

https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/status/890903216724074496

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LoxontheRox

Holy Moley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Fairly windy alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Have we found a reporter braver than our own Teresa Mannion :D

https://twitter.com/anewscomtr/status/890624653533827072

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wow....they were some size. Darwin award has to go to the janitors!
    A bravery award to the reporter:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Be thankful that you weren't trying to fly in or out of Istanbul during that storm. At least 3 aircraft were significantly damaged by hail during the event.
    If you don't have a fear of flying, there are pictures available at AVherald.com

The worst damage is in this report http://avherald.com/h?article=4ac397e5&opt=0

Less damage, but still significant. http://avherald.com/h?article=4ac39911&opt=0

Also damaged, but no pictures of damage http://avherald.com/h?article=4ac39a76&opt=0

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I don't know the specifics but surely taking off directly into a supercell isn't the brightest of ideas? It looks like there was a microburst in this storm as well which are obviously very dangerous to aircraft, lucky things weren't a lot worse than a bit of cosmetic damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I don't know the specifics but surely taking off directly into a supercell isn't the brightest of ideas? It looks like there was a microburst in this storm as well which are obviously very dangerous to aircraft, lucky things weren't a lot worse than a bit of cosmetic damage

Was thinking along these lines too. Do the controllers not have a case to answer for dispatching into that weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Deatr

Was thinking along these lines too. Do the controllers not have a case to answer for dispatching into that weather?

All the controllers can do is advise the crew. It's a capt/crew decision to go or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Deatr wrote: »
    All the controllers can do is advise the crew. It's a capt/crew decision to go or not!

But it's the controllers who route the aircraft and IMHO should have sufficient real-time weather data to hand to influence their routing decisions accordingly.

But it's the controllers who route the aircraft and IMHO should have sufficient real-time weather data to hand to influence their routing decisions accordingly.

As you said it's your opinion. However ATC don't always have access to real time weather data, I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know they rely mostly on pireps. Ultimately it's up to the crew to decide to depart or to route through a CB! Most aircraft are equipped with weather radar and the returns they get would show up on their ND.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

From comments made on other web sites, it seems that some types and intensities of hail do not show up well or significantly on the aircraft weather radar, which seems to be a major issue, given the damage that was done by flying into this storm. All commercial aircraft carry and use weather radar, but as has been seen by the damage from this event, it's not a guarantee that there are no hazardous conditions ahead.

The information available to controllers is also likely to be restricted, and the other issue is that the volumes of traffic that operate in and out of Istanbul are such that avoiding weather can at times be tricky given the equally important requirement to avoid other air traffic.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

From comments made on other web sites, it seems that some types and intensities of hail do not show up well or significantly on the aircraft weather radar, which seems to be a major issue, given the damage that was done by flying into this storm. All commercial aircraft carry and use weather radar, but as has been seen by the damage from this event, it's not a guarantee that there are no hazardous conditions ahead.

The information available to controllers is also likely to be restricted, and the other issue is that the volumes of traffic that operate in and out of Istanbul are such that avoiding weather can at times be tricky given the equally important requirement to avoid other air traffic.

Most aircraft weather radar will only show the levels of precipitation. They don't differentiate between rain or hail. Magenta will be the worst. I've seen it a good few times over Europe this summer. Perhaps I'm being disengenious to the crew, I wasn't there. I just wanted to highlight the point that it's not just down to ATC.

Glad I wasn't there!! I've already had a thunderstorm encounter this summer.

Advertisement