Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering my GPUs

Options
  • 30-07-2017 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all ,

I'm adding to my mining rig and have 2 GPUs that I got , the issue is on my PSUs i've only got 6 pin slots left and no idea what cables I need to power them

The other GPUs I've been powering with the 8 pin to 6+2 & 6+2 cables that came with the two PSUs I bought. But I've no more of them left and even if I did have more I'd have no more 8 pin slots on the PSU to attach them too.

So Essentially
    • I have 2 corsair PSU , but currently using the 4 8 pin slots on those.
    • I have 2 more GPUs I want to power but I've only got 6 pin slots left on the PSU and the GPU require an 8 pin connection to power them

Is it possible to power the remaining GPUs from the 6 pin slots on the PSU ?
    And if so what cable or adapters + cables should I be buying ? I would have thought something like this but from my basic understanding I need it to be male and male rather than male and female ?

Any help at all would be massively appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First of all work out how you're running in terms of power consumption. How many of what card?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

I've got 6 1070s

Currently running 4 of them OC at 740w before i start to tweak power limits

So with two of the 850 corsairs I should have ample power. It's just I've no idea how to power them since I can't seem to find the cable to suit me

Corsair CX850M ATX Power Supply
    AC Input Rating	DC Output Rating
    AC Input: 100V - 240V	DC Output	+3.3V	+5V	+12V	-12V	+5Vsb
    Current: 12A - 6A	Max Load	25A	25A	70.8A	0.8A	3.0A
    Frequency: 47Hz - 63Hz	Maximum Combined Wattage	130W	[B]850W[/B]	9.6W	15W
    Total Power: 850W

It can provide the full whack on the 12v rail so you're safe to use it. PCI connector pins are just 12v and sense/gnd.

Splitters should be fine.

PCI-E-6-pin-to-2x-6-2-pin-6-pin-8-pin-Power-Splitter-Cable.jpg

Thank you for the advice ,

Sorry it this appears as a super dense question but what you posted above would that plug directly into the PSU ? I'm obviously a newbie to this but it looks as though I need a male 6 pin for the PSU

Or do I need a 6 pin cable to then plug into that one you posted above
    Just I'm gonna be ordering the 2 cables tonight and would hate to discover I need to order another one

Oh, its single 8P not 2x 6P on your cards? Doh. Yeah, just get whichever combination suits your requirements.

• Advertisement

Cheers but am i right in thinking that a female 6 pin like you linked above would not go into the PSU ?

It's just all the other cables I've going into my PSU are male ?

Dont touch the PSU end.

Use splitters to Y the existing connectors. So 8 pins at the GPU become 2x 8pins at the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is mining still profitable or is it slumping off?

Skerries wrote: »

About to tank.

Skerries wrote: »

It's gone worse, you've gone from a 3 month wait to recoup initial investment to now 10 months...

With eth going into POS you'll see a lot of diversity in what people will mine so massive risks / rewards with other coins

• Advertisement
Advertisement