Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post driver

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Father bought one of the first vectors back when I was in short pants and we still have it doing the rounds after 25 years. Go for one with a nylon rope and grease it regularly. Steel ropes can be lethal. Vector are thé rolls royce of thé market with major being well over priced for their offering. For value à bridgeway unit is very unrated used one for another farmer on a project. In order of preference. 1. Vector 2. Bridgeway..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Father bought one of the first vectors back when I was in short pants and we still have it doing the rounds after 25 years. Go for one with a nylon rope and grease it regularly. Steel ropes can be lethal. Vector are thé rolls royce of thé market with major being well over priced for their offering. For value à bridgeway unit is very unrated used one for another farmer on a project. In order of preference. 1. Vector 2. Bridgeway..

Sorry silghty wrong
    1. Contractor ( lad that has only 1-2 machines on sub 100hp tractors)
    2.Post driver and crowbar for a year until option 1 is replaced
    3. Vector only if option 1 is not available do not panic until year 4+ even then use the fella on the 280 HP tractor to get over the hump
    4. Hope cheap Polish option to supplement Contractor

Slava Ukrainii

Hé is looking for advice on one to purchase. By your logic hé should just sell the farm. No need for any fence maintenance and head off to thé Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Sorry silghty wrong 1. Contractor ( lad that has only 1-2 machines on sub 100hp tractors) 2.Post driver and crowbar for a year until option 1 is replaced 3. Vector only if option 1 is not available do not panic until year 4+ even then use the fella on the 280 HP tractor to get over the hump 4. Hope cheap Polish option to supplement Contractor

Looking for advice on which machine to buy his decision is made on buying one, if you think contractor is better fair enough but with the prices frs charge I'd agree that buying one is a good investment.

I would not like the post driver version that's out on the end of the jib. I say it would wreck bushes and pins and the king pin very quickly and you would flip a 3t digger very quickly with 200kg on and extended jib.

Seen a 200kg post driver for front of a tractor loader back last year. it would be handy if you had a long enough reach loader

Ryalls farm machinery in cork have a secondhand loader mounted one for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

rangler1 wrote: »
    +1
    Farmers say they have alot of fencing to do so they'll buy the post driver and sell it when they're finished......they never sell it

Snap, got it in one. Malone here, 6yo does about 200 posts a year.

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Hé is looking for advice on one to purchase. By your logic hé should just sell the farm. No need for any fence maintenance and head off to thé Sun.

As my mother used to say sell nothing but the milk and the eggs. In any thread on board advice will be given you do not have to take it. Remember that other lads will serch boards for threads like this. It is a discussion forum not just an advice clinic.

Yes every farmer needs to maintain his fences. But as farmers we are also times poor. Alot of us are part-time. Biggest mistake lads make when getting g a lad to drive posts is not enough help. To really get the benefit you need a driver, operator and yourself to pick out posts that need replacing and getting the posts for the operator. Even if you own the machine yourself on a big job you will need labour.

FRS are expensive as they come in to do complete job. But there are smaller Independent operators (getting harder to get) who will hire just themselves and the machine for the day. After you buy the machine you will have to solve the other issue. When a. Contractor is there by himself and say charging you 40/ hour the time he spends time lifting a post off a loader or checking a post is also 40/ hour work. With you checking posts and a young lad ( not a 14 year old but a good 16/17 year o!d ) driving the tractor you will drive 3 time the posts he will by himself it is all about efficiency. Extra cost is 10/ hour. FRS are a high cost operator with insurance and VAT costs etc to cover.

As a farmer everytime youthink about buying a machine you need to consider the implications from a time perspective as in how will it impact on family time etc. You have to consider will you have to upgrade your tractor and to be fair to a postdriver that will not be an issue. And finally can I spend the time elsewhere getting a higher return.

For instance if you were an Engineer, Barrister or maybe even an Accountant would you be better of spending that time at you profession rather than driving g posts. I am not saying give up farming rather just look at the other cost implications involved.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For instance if you were an Engineer, Barrister or maybe even an Accountant would you be better of spending that time at you profession rather than driving g posts. I am not saying give up farming rather just look at the other cost implications involved.

An Engineer would make his own, complete with all the safety features.:rolleyes:

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

As my mother used to say sell nothing but the milk and the eggs. In any thread on board advice will be given you do not have to take it. Remember that other lads will serch boards for threads like this. It is a discussion forum not just an advice clinic.

Yes every farmer needs to maintain his fences. But as farmers we are also times poor. Alot of us are part-time. Biggest mistake lads make when getting g a lad to drive posts is not enough help. To really get the benefit you need a driver, operator and yourself to pick out posts that need replacing and getting the posts for the operator. Even if you own the machine yourself on a big job you will need labour.

FRS are expensive as they come in to do complete job. But there are smaller Independent operators (getting harder to get) who will hire just themselves and the machine for the day. After you buy the machine you will have to solve the other issue. When a. Contractor is there by himself and say charging you 40/ hour the time he spends time lifting a post off a loader or checking a post is also 40/ hour work. With you checking posts and a young lad ( not a 14 year old but a good 16/17 year o!d ) driving the tractor you will drive 3 time the posts he will by himself it is all about efficiency. Extra cost is 10/ hour. FRS are a high cost operator with insurance and VAT costs etc to cover.

As a farmer everytime youthink about buying a machine you need to consider the implications from a time perspective as in how will it impact on family time etc. You have to consider will you have to upgrade your tractor and to be fair to a postdriver that will not be an issue. And finally can I spend the time elsewhere getting a higher return.

How much are FRS?

An Engineer would make his own, complete with all the safety features.:rolleyes:

No he would not he would design his own. Then to protect his insurance cover he would over specify the steel , ram hoses etc. Them when he had his design costed he decide it was too expensive to go into production and hire FRS.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

A decent barrister would be able to get the neighbour to do the bloody fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I do not like sitting in my office at 7pm on a sunny June evening. I do not however mind spending time outside :P work life balance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That's a work/work balance, Lakill !
    Fortunately some work is more enjoyable than others :D

I do not like sitting in my office at 7pm on a sunny June evening. I do not however mind spending time outside :P work life balance

Cannot drive posts on my land in June, it a March job as ground gets too hard for crowbar to find the path for the posts. Summer evenings are for GAA and a wander down across the field to look at the stock if I am not moving them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,368 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Your never in your bloody office at 7pm of any month

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jollyone

Looked at 2 post drivers at the weekend. A vector and Malone .

Got prices of a few . (based on toplink with check valve, tilt and external controls)

Malone €2900
    Vector €3690
    Rainbow €2900
    Major €3300/3500 (not confirmed yet)
    Kentec €3000

So any feedback on any of the above?

I used a Malone one pervious but its 10/12 years ago and was controlled in the tractor and no tilt. Know a lad who bought a kentec recently in autumn 2016 and finish was poor, he sent it back to them

Have a look at Kentec again.
    Very similar to vector at an economical price. Paint work ?? I don't know.
    May he repainted it for him ?
    A lot of them around Nenagh and they are very well received there.
    They make good stuff from what I see .

Jollyone wrote: »
    Have a look at Kentec again.
    Very similar to vector at an economical price. Paint work ?? I don't know.
    May he repainted it for him ?
    A lot of them around Nenagh and they are very well received there.
    They make good stuff from what I see .

Kentec seems to do a heavy and light model. Light model similar to Malone major etc .
    Heavy model similar to more expensive vector.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Belmac now make have postdrivers. Reasonable prices. Anyone have one?

- Price for straight post driver €1,600 incl VAT
    - Price for side tilt post driver €2,850 incl VAT

https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/post-drivers/16180656

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Try Kentec .
    He does heavy (like vector 420 kg hammer)
    And light type ( belmac bridgeway major etc 380 kg Hammer)
    On done deal

Try Kentec .
    He does heavy (like vector 420 kg hammer)
    And light type ( belmac bridgeway major etc 380 kg Hammer)
    On done deal

A complete pig of a man the day I phoned him. And I knew a lad who had just bought the heavy duty one and it was pricy enough and the paint work was a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Buy a Malone. I drive stakes with a digger on my own farm but a friend bought one and it is a great job. He's very happy with it.

Buy a Malone. I drive stakes with a digger on my own farm but a friend bought one and it is a great job. He's very happy with it.

I bought a Malone :D. €2900 . bought it end of March, got it real early April and very happy with it

Very unfair to say that .
    Seemed to be very fair anytime I spoke to him. Did they repaint it?
    I know people with his machines that had other machines previously.
    You are entitled to your opinion I suppose. But I wonder I just wonder..

A complete pig of a man the day I phoned him. And I knew a lad who had just bought the heavy duty one and it was pricy enough and the paint work was a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Very unfair to say that .
    Seemed to be very fair anytime I spoke to him. Did they repaint it?
    I know people with his machines that had other machines previously.
    You are entitled to your opinion I suppose. But I wonder I just wonder..

Did you buy off him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did you buy off him ?

I've a feeling if he did it was a case of only transferring the money from the farm account to the engineering company account!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

Did anyone ever price a cross? Was impressed with one I used before. They're on chains rather than a ram. Good heavy weight on them and can be worked off the front of a telehandler too.
    There don't seem to be many second hands out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭deise toffee

I see Belmac now make have postdrivers. Reasonable prices. Anyone have one?

- Price for straight post driver €1,600 incl VAT
    - Price for side tilt post driver €2,850 incl VAT

https://www.donedeal.ie/otherfarmmachinery-for-sale/post-drivers/16180656
    I have the side tilt belmac with two years.Bought new for €2550.Very useful around the farm.Probably not the best quality make to buy,the cage/guard constructed from very cheap material started to crack after a few months.Had to weld angle iron onto it to strengthen it.Plenty power in hammer though and can't fault it apart from that.Have drive a lot of stakes with it!

6 years on "Try Kentec" is a reoccurring theme for that poster.

Not connected to them but have dealt with them without any problems , that's all .

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did you buy off him ?

Yes

Advertisement