Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of Luas Cross City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Those numbers are nonsense. Tired cyclist? What does that event mean.

You know sometimes you aren't as fresh as a daisy? That's a state humans call "tired".
    I braked hard last week at about 25 kmph and stopped after 1 to 2 m.

I think you either don't know what 25km/h is, or what 1m is. Or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Stopping from 25km/h in 2m would require a friction factor of 1.27; an experienced cyclist can obtain a friction factor of about 0.95, assuming controlled use of both brakes, good weight distribution etc.(this is an in control no panic guy/girl)

At 0.95 ff the braking distance would be 2.58m to a stop from 25km/h. (assuming dry road surface, decent PSV of asphalt)

That is only the braking distance, the time it takes to react will vary, again with and experienced alert user significantly outperforming your typical Dublin bike cyclist. Reaction time includes the time taken to perceive the danger and the physical time required to apply the brakes.
    The range here is typically 0.5 sec to 1.0.

The total stopping distance from 25km/h for a super alert, experienced cyclist
    is 3.5m + 2.58m= 6.08m

Using 1 sec reaction time and .75 ff will give you 10.5m which is I assume what cyclecraft used.

The friction factor available between any given tire and any give surface will vary depending on speed.

Max grip between a tire and surface is at about 20 percent of tire slip, you have 100 percent at lockup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

ford2600 wrote: »
    Stopping from 25km/h in 2m would require a friction factor of 1.27; an experienced cyclist can obtain a friction factor of about 0.95, assuming controlled use of both brakes, good weight distribution etc.(this is an in control no panic guy/girl)

At 0.95 ff the braking distance would be 2.58m to a stop from 25km/h. (assuming dry road surface, decent PSV of asphalt)

That is only the braking distance, the time it takes to react will vary, again with and experienced alert user significantly outperforming your typical Dublin bike cyclist. Reaction time includes the time taken to perceive the danger and the physical time required to apply the brakes.
    The range here is typically 0.5 sec to 1.0.

The total stopping distance from 25km/h for a super alert, experienced cyclist
    is 3.5m + 2.58m= 6.08m

Using 1 sec reaction time and .75 ff will give you 10.5m which is I assume what cyclecraft used.

The friction factor available between any given tire and any give surface will vary depending on speed.

Max grip between a tire and surface is at about 20 percent of tire slip, you have 100 percent at lockup.

Yeah but they're just like facts and science and stuff, sure everyone knows that this is all about emotion....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe by '1 to 2 m' he meant '1 to 2 miles' - he didn't explicitly say it was a bike he was on, maybe it was a ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

maybe... maybe ..it was 2.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Does anyone else think a braking distance competition would be good craic? I'm tempted to do a comparison between a few of my bikes.

Its a moot point anyway. At the various points of contention, all traffic will be moving slow.

maybe... maybe ..it was 2.5

Bet you spilt the latte to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Well lads. The advert, and its incorrect information has annoyed me so much I have made a complaint to the Advertising standards agency. I'll let ye know how I get on.

Bet you spilt the latte to...

wasn't the same day your honour, but yes, even I couldn't have kept it intact that day

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    Well lads. The advert, and its incorrect information has annoyed me so much I have made a complaint to the Advertising standards agency. I'll let ye know how I get on.

Have you considered calling Joe? Such an outrage deserves no less!

Ok, I did a little test on my lunch break:

Flat road, dry tarmac, slight headwind.
    Rider + bike = 78 kg
    Brakes: hydraulic discs with 180mm rotors front, 160mm rear
    Tyres: 29er, 2.3" wide, approx 20 psi

At 30 km/hr, on my 5th attempt, I manged to stop in 4 m. It took a little practice, my first attempt was 7 m. You need to throw your weight backwards and even still the back wheel is lifting.

I don't think you would get a much better setup in terms of brakes/grip, but further practice would give further improvements, I think.

Of course reaction time is not included as I was anticipating the line on the road where I would start braking.

I may repeat this on the road bike in the wet to get a 'worst-case' number.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I know from painful experience that I emergency brake slower than a taxi. I try to keep more distance now but car brakes are more effective IMO

flatface wrote: »
    I know from painful experience that I emergency brake slower than a taxi. I try to keep more distance now but car brakes are more effective IMO

Hence the username? :P

Ok, I did a little test on my lunch break:

Flat road, dry tarmac, slight headwind.
    Rider + bike = 78 kg
    Brakes: hydraulic discs with 180mm rotors front, 160mm rear
    Tyres: 29er, 2.3" wide, approx 20 psi

At 30 km/hr, on my 5th attempt, I manged to stop in 4 m. It took a little practice, my first attempt was 7 m. You need to throw your weight backwards and even still the back wheel is lifting.

I don't think you would get a much better setup in terms of brakes/grip, but further practice would give further improvements, I think.

Of course reaction time is not included as I was anticipating the line on the road where I would start braking.

I may repeat this on the road bike in the wet to get a 'worst-case' number.

Friction factor of 0.884, which is pretty decent.

Really hard to get to 0.95; where you doing a manual abs or had you full lockup?

Front didn't lock (but according to your graph must have been slipping to some degree), back did but it was lifting off the ground anyway. I guess if I got my weight further back the front would lock too.

There's probably a few large sources of error in my measurement, the biggest being the exact location where I first applied the brakes. A slo-mo video would probably be useful for recording that.

Friction factor of 0.884, which is pretty decent.

How do you calculate this?

How do you calculate this?

On phone so forgive notation.

For where vehicle brakes to a stop

Initial velocity squared = 2.(f)(g)(d)

Where f is dimensionless friction factor
    g iso gravitational constant 9.81
    d is skid distance

Velocity is in m/s BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

On phone so forgive notation.

For where vehicle brakes to a stop

Initial velocity squared = 2.(f)(g)(d)

Where f is dimensionless friction factor
    g iso gravitational constant 9.81
    d is skid distance

Velocity is in m/s BTW!

Here is a calculator and background

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/crstp.html

So the Luas travels at around 20 kmph around junctions with pedestrians and vehicles. We can assume it will continue to do so around the contentious junctions of the Cross City extension.

Bikes have an average speed of 12 kmph, but lets say a median speed of 17 kmph in the city center.

What have the stopping distances mentioned got to do with anything, in this context ?

• Advertisement

Sticky bottle has an article about how often people on bikes make the Luas do emergency stops. Not all that often, all things considered.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/luas-reveals-number-incidents-cyclists-drivers-pedestrians/

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Sticky bottle has an article about how often people on bikes make the Luas do emergency stops. Not all that often, all things considered.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/luas-reveals-number-incidents-cyclists-drivers-pedestrians/

That's a good write up, the messages between the three campaigns have been very much skewed against the least hazardous and dangerous mode of transport. If they really wanted to combat luas collisions, hold ups and emergency brakes they would continually run sponsored advertisement for motorists.

All things considered, its what you might expect. Cyclists are a small portion of traffic in the city center, compared with vehicles and pedestrians, including at points of intersection with the Luas.

I'd bet their percentage of incidents is broadly in line with their population percentage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so is it just me who didn't really see a fault with the video?
    they tackled the three main categories of road user who might interact with the luas. what's the implication - that because cyclists are the third most likely to be hit, that it shouldn't be addressed?

so is it just me who didn't really see a fault with the video?
    they tackled the three main categories of road user who might interact with the luas. what's the implication - that because cyclists are the third most likely to be hit, that it shouldn't be addressed?

Did you read the article?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Funnily enough, cycling is more important, not just than the Luas, but than rail in total, according to recent data. 50% higher modal share.
    https://twitter.com/HanneyDP/status/881529097666654209

That's nationally. Not sure what restricting focus to Dublin would do: both rail and cycling would be a bigger proportion.

Well, I need wonder no longer. More people carried by bike than rail in Dublin.
    Census 2016 results show that that 54,009 people put cycling down as their main mode of transport to work and education, while 50,970 people use Luas, Dart, and Commuter Rail.
    Those cycling amount to 7.1% of residents commuters, while all types of rail commuters account for 6.7%.

http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/30/more-residents-commute-by-bicycle-than-by-luas-and-dart-in-dublin-city-and-suburbs/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

What width tyre would you need to be safe on the tracks?

I'm thinking of throwing a fat tyre on the front just to stop supermaning over the handle bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cant find the spec, its 1435mm (Standard Gauge) but thats the internal measurement.

At a guess 45mm+ would be ok. They're still slippy c*nts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Or you could slow down and turn your handlebars toward a right angle when crossing the tracks? You'll lose momentum and it will lead to an increased journey time, but you won't fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Or you could slow down and turn your handlebars toward a right angle when crossing the tracks? You'll lose momentum and it will lead to an increased journey time, but you won't fall.

Try that in three columns of traffic with a Dublin Bus on your heel and let us know how you get on.

Safe crossings are not possible due to the failure of a design.

Advertisement