Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would it cost in total to get an electric shower?

Options
  • 28-07-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Hi.

How much would it cost in total to get an electric shower? Are the electricity costs very high with quick showers about twice a week?

Do I buy a shower and pay a plumber to install it and that's it?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I would advise getting the plumber to have a look at where you want to put it first and work from there.

Perhaps a better option would be a dedicated shower company. What's your area?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Wearb wrote: »
    I would advise getting the plumber to have a look at where you want to put it first and work from there.

Perhaps a better option would be a dedicated shower company. What's your area?

Hi Wearb.

I would have thought I'd buy the shower first - then get a plumber -- thanks for the heads up. :-)

I'm near Cork City.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi Wearb.

I would have thought I'd buy the shower first - then get a plumber -- thanks for the heads up. :-)

I'm near Cork City.

The type of shower you buy affects how it is installed. (pumped non pumped) and the electrician will be as important and the plumber (more so and the electricity could kill you the water will only flood the place).

Plumber first, let them advise on the shower or type of shower..

knipex wrote: »
    The type of shower you buy affects how it is installed. (pumped non pumped) and the electrician will be as important and the plumber (more so and the electricity could kill you the water will only flood the place).

Plumber first, let them advise on the shower or type of shower..

Hi knipex.

I'd opt for a mid-range shower.

So plumber first, then buy shower - then get the electrician to coordinate with the plumber?

What would be a rough estimate price?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi knipex.

So plumber first, then buy shower - then get the electrician to coordinate with the plumber?

€750 supply and fit. Roughly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Worztron wrote:

Plumber should be able to supply & fit cheaper than you buying the shower yourself.
    Mains fed showers aren't really suitable for most parts of Ireland as our pressure is so poor. This leaves two pumped electric showers (tank fed). The mira elite qt & the triton t90sr. There are threads on boards covering both of these showers.
    The most important factor here is the electric work. Only a REC can do the electrical work and they must cert the work. I can't stress enough how important this is. Safety first

dodzy wrote: »

I suppose it's not bad given it's so handy in the long run.

Cheers dodzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Hi knipex.

How long is a piece of string ??

Is it a pumped shower or not ? fed from mains or tank ? how far is it from the board ? Does the electrician have to remove floor boards, cut the wall to run the supply cable, does he need to supply an ELCB ? Is there more than one shower ??

Running costs ?? about 10 units per hour assuming a 10kw shower so a 15 minute shower would cost you 2.5 units.

knipex wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string ??

Is it a pumped shower or not ? fed from mains or tank ? how far is it from the board ? Does the electrician have to remove floor boards, cut the wall to run the supply cable, does he need to supply an ELCB ? Is there more than one shower ??

Running costs ?? about 10 units per hour assuming a 10kw shower so a 15 minute shower would cost you 2.5 units.

The water comes from the water tank in the loft.
    What board?
    I presume bathroom tiles would need to be removed. No idea beyond that.
    ELCB?
    Just the one shower. I live in a small house. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dodzy wrote:

Agree here. This is a good guideline. Despite sterling falling the cost of showers has gone up. There's new regs on the cable used & it looks like the cable is going up 60%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I was quoted 650 ish. (Triton T90 / mira equivalent) for supply and install this week replacing a non electric shower, city prices are typically higher I'd imagine.

Advertisement