Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking for Croke Park

Options
  • 25-07-2017 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Just wondering where is the nearest car park for Croke Park? Is Clonliffe College the best one to go with? Will have my grandfather with me so I don't want to have him walking too far on Sunday. Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Mandygav wrote: »
    Just wondering where is the nearest car park for Croke Park? Is Clonliffe College the best one to go with? Will have my grandfather with me so I don't want to have him walking too far on Sunday. Any help appreciated!

I go for clearys qpark. It's not too far and easy to get into.
    Could get one of those rickshaws from the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Where are your tickets for?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Closest car park is The O'Connell schools, directly behind the canal end.

But you have to walk back on the the NCR to access the stadium, but it's a short walk.

I was only in Clonliffe College once. There was only one long narrow road out of it, I don't know if that has changed. Took hours to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Would it be easier for you( all depends what part of country your coming from) to go to maynooth and get dart into dromcondra station croke park 5min walk from there and you avoid the city, They run extra trains every time a match is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Where are you coming from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Where are you sitting? I take my Dad (in his 70s) to games and it's very important that he doesnt walk far. Drumcondra station is not a viable option for him. We're season ticket holders so always have seats in the Cusack Stand and O'Connell Schools is a good option but is almost too far for him at this stage. No way could he walk from Clery's Q Park but I have used that in the past when he wasn't with me. Never used Clonliffe College so can't comment on that.

Would your dad be able to ride in a rickshaw? I havn't tried them so have no idea what they are like, but they seem safe enough. Would get you to CP in maby 5 minutes from clearys, with a very short walk then from the garda railings to the stadium.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Would your dad be able to ride in a rickshaw? I havn't tried them so have no idea what they are like, but they seem safe enough. Would get you to CP in maby 5 minutes from clearys.

They look like death traps to me but I'm a real chicken! In any case going into Croker is fine, we can get a taxi if need be, it's coming out through the post match crowds that's more of an issue. We always manage to get sorted to be fair so I try to not worry about it too much. He has a disability pass for the car now as well which has helped in other venues but doesn't do much for ya in Croke Park as they recommend Clonliffe College for parking. Can be a load of hassle but I dread the day he can't come at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This is an ongoing issue for elderly people going to matches in Dublin.

Disability parking is very very well respected in Dublin. You WILL get towed if you're in one without a pass and people know it. Not sure if it's possible, but could you park in one (for free) and try and taxi it up to the stadium? They might let the taxi up a small bit if they're human? You could look in to it.

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/on-street-disabled-parking-bay-in-dublin-city-council-area

The rickshaws are grand by the way. They'll behave appropriately if they have old people on board, and if you ask them to take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭AG123

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm coming up from the west on Sunday. We are sitting in the Hogan stand.

• Advertisement

O'Connell Schools is probably the handiest nearby car park then if you plan on coming up the quays (clonliffe college maybe better if coming from M50). Get there early and you'll be parked nearer to the gate which means you'll get out quicker after the game. 5 minutes walk to the hogan stand.

glack wrote: »
    They look like death traps to me but I'm a real chicken! In any case going into Croker is fine, we can get a taxi if need be, it's coming out through the post match crowds that's more of an issue. We always manage to get sorted to be fair so I try to not worry about it too much. He has a disability pass for the car now as well which has helped in other venues but doesn't do much for ya in Croke Park as they recommend Clonliffe College for parking. Can be a load of hassle but I dread the day he can't come at all!

I'd need to be dead to not go :)

When I get my disability pass, I'll be hiring a motorised wheelchair for the day (€50) get a wheelchair taxi to the barricades and motoring on up to the wheelchair spaces located on Level 4 in the Cusack Stand via the lifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Closest car park is The O'Connell schools, directly behind the canal end.

Is there many spaces available there. How early would you need to be to get parking there. What's it like getting out after the match. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

I think he might be like you - last year he went to every league game but missed the entire championship due to poor health and was in hospital for the finals which broke his heart. He's determined to make the matches this year which is great as I was afraid he wouldn't be willing to travel to the away games. But he made it to Ennis and Limerick so Croke Park is the next hurdle! As the saying goes, nothing beats being there!!

I missed a year due to bad health a while back too. Hated watching it on TV. Nothing like "being there". Made me appreciate it even more. Have a great day out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

My Dad's in a similar boat- but he stopped going in 2013 sadly.

I'd love to bring him to a game in Croker again but we need a way to get as near to the Cusack Stand as possible- he can't walk far at all. I'd even hazard a guess that the short walk from the barriers at Foster Terrace would be too much of a walk from him- and he'd then have to contend with the steps up to the stand also.

Of course, if anybody has any clever ideas around how to get around these obstacles I'd love to hear them.

Is there many spaces available there. How early would you need to be to get parking there. What's it like getting out after the match. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

300/400? Time wise, it can vary from game to game as some counties seem to bring more parkers there than others. For traffic reasons we'd always be at least 2 hours early anyway so I've never had any problems. Afterwards, getting to your car as quickly as possible is key! Generally a full car with me so someone will head quickly for the car to get it moving in the traffic asap. Can get caught there for a while if you hang about in the stadium after the game. 5 minutes makes a huge difference!

frankled wrote: »

I'd love to bring him to a game in Croker again but we need a way to get as near to the Cusack Stand as possible- he can't walk far at all. I'd even hazard a guess that the short walk from the barriers at Foster Terrace would be too much of a walk from him- and he'd then have to contend with the steps up to the stand also.

Of course, if anybody has any clever ideas around how to get around these obstacles I'd love to hear them.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for my rented motorised wheelchair idea posted above.

https://crokepark.ie/stadium/facilities/accessibility

Well I've heard that with a disability pass they'll let you drive to the gate to drop someone off but then you have to move your car and find parking so you'd need a second person with you. Haven't tried this myself though and I think it depends on the friendliness of the stewards/gardai at the end of the road. For the steps, you can go into the premium level entrance and take the lift to level 3 - this I have used when on crutches. Getting in isnt the problem, getting out is!!!

Sounds like a perfect candidate for my motorised wheelchair idea posted above.

Can be tricky to get your hands on wheelchair tickets - very limited supply.

• Advertisement

Can be tricky to get your hands on wheelchair tickets - very limited supply.

Then I pity them when I have to arrive with an ordinary ticket in my motorised transport ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm coming up from the west on Sunday. We are sitting in the Hogan stand.

Clonliffe College would have the shortest walk to the Hogan entrance. Be prepared to have to wait for the crowds to clear off the roads before you will be let out of the car park at the end of the second game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the garda at Quinns pub will let taxis down Clonliffe road if they have a reduced mobility person on board
    shouldn't be a huge issue once the garda understands the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Well I've heard that with a disability pass they'll let you drive to the gate to drop someone off but then you have to move your car and find parking so you'd need a second person with you. Haven't tried this myself though and I think it depends on the friendliness of the stewards/gardai at the end of the road. For the steps, you can go into the premium level entrance and take the lift to level 3 - this I have used when on crutches. Getting in isnt the problem, getting out is!!!

That's exactly it, you really are dependent on the leniency of others for the plan to work or not. I'll have a think about it- it's definitely helpful knowing that the lift is available for those without premium tickets.
    Sounds like a perfect candidate for my rented motorised wheelchair idea posted above.

Could be- I'll have to try for a disabled ticket for him when I can. Do they definitely let in people with mobility scooters?

Could be- I'll have to try for a disabled ticket for him when I can. Do they definitely let in people with mobility scooters?

No different to a wheelchair. But ring them and ask to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Mountjoy Square area has a bit of parking also. A handy walk to the Hogan Stand from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Are the clampers strict on sundays about the maximum stay? Most areas are 2 hrs but parking tag allows u to pay for 3 hours. Dont want to get clamped tomorrow. Hope to park on botanic avenue or may millmount ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

pajoguy wrote: »
    Are the clampers strict on sundays about the maximum stay? Most areas are 2 hrs but parking tag allows u to pay for 3 hours. Dont want to get clamped tomorrow. Hope to park on botanic avenue or may millmount ave.

God love ye lads from beyond the pale. Pay parking is 7am to 7pm Monday to saturday. Sunday free parking all day only not in red zones.

Free parking around croke park on a Sunday is Philipsburg avenue, Fitzgibbon street, mountjoy sq and the Northside of Dorset street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Folks as someone who lives in ballybough right behind croker I can high advise against using that clonlife road carpark.
    If you park there be warned, getting out is an absolute nightmare. You'll spend over an hour in traffic on clonlife, then once out of clonlife you'll be stuck in drumcondra.

I walked down clonlife an hour after the match today and it was absolutely packed on the drumcondra bound side all the way to the end of clonlife.

To add, drumcondra train station is also a nightmare on a big match day, the quest to get in there after a match stretch around the block.

Best thing is to park in the Q carpark on Marlboro Street or the cineworld carpark on parnell Street and take a taxi up as close as possible if you are elderly /not able to walk the distance.

Trust me on this I'm well experienced with it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

God love ye lads from beyond the pale. Pay parking is 7am to 7pm Monday to saturday. Sunday free parking all day only not in red zones.

Free parking around croke park on a Sunday is Philipsburg avenue, Fitzgibbon street, mountjoy sq and the Northside of Dorset street.

If you have to pay on street and it Will only give you a ticket up to 2 or 3 hours duration then buy 2 tickets at the same time and put both in the window together. This shows the clampers you have paid for 4 or 6 hours and it is an unspoken fact that they are told not to clamp vehicles that do this on a GAA day in croker.

Advertisement