Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 The Rings The Flame

I'm very confident that one of the main things we will see in Tokyo is the resurrection of our boxing team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

I'm very confident that one of the main things we will see in Tokyo is the resurrection of our boxing team :)

Well it will be a very new and inxperienced team. Only Brendan Irvine of the Rio team has committed to staying on for Tokyo. Joe Ward is the only other possibility as I think his dismal showing in Rio will put the brakes on any hope he had of turning professional. Joe is still only 22 so has plenty of time for a professional career.

Claire Lambe and Sinead Lynch also seem to be planning for Tokyo even tghough Lynch will be 43 by then. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So what are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I fell uncomfortable with this non-Dan sanctioned thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Dodge wrote: »
    I fell uncomfortable with this non-Dan sanctioned thread

No worries at all, I've just fixed the spelling errors in the title and we are good to go now with this thread :)

I want to apologise to everyone for being so inactive of late, I'll do my best to be more active from here on. I hope you will all stick around to follow our athletes for another Olympic campaign. Looking forward to it, let's hope it's a great Olympiad for Irish athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Bertram Allen is one to watch on the Road to Tokyo. He won two competitions (and three cars) at an event in Stockholm at the weekend

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/irish-show-jumper-bertram-allen-wins-three-cars-within-24-hours-1.2884521

He is ranked no.17 in the World at the moment according to this page

https://data.fei.org/Ranking/Search.aspx?rankingCode=S_WR

A talented rider who will only get better. Shame he missed out on Rio but he is only 21 - there will be many Olympics to come for Bertram, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's not ideal and it would normally not be a particularly good idea for any Irish born athlete to go this route but it seems she had zero chance of representing Ireland in Tokyo because of the lack of a sailing partner, so her decision is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Strazdas wrote: »
    It's not ideal and it would normally not be a particularly good idea for any Irish born athlete to go this route but it seems she had zero chance of representing Ireland in Tokyo because of the lack of a sailing partner, so her decision is understandable.

Did Sinead Jennings try to jump ship to GB despite never being able to find a suitable partner good enough to enable her to qualify for Athens and Beijing? No, she stuck at it, eventually finding a good partner and she was rewarded with an excellent 6th place in Rio.

Saskia is no better than the Kenyan Turks. Nationality seems to be something that is disposable for many modern day sportspeople.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Is any tv channel showing any of the men's handball world championships taking place at the moment? I can't get it anywhere. Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flynng

Hi guys, just wondering what sport has the opportunity to qualify the first participants in Tokyo?I know we are literally just recovering from Rio but I'm curious as to how fast somebody can nail down a qualifying spot and what sport has the privilege? Most sports allow selection right up to almost a month or six weeks but what's the earliest an athlete can guarantee a spot?

flynng wrote: »
    Hi guys, just wondering what sport has the opportunity to qualify the first participants in Tokyo?I know we are literally just recovering from Rio but I'm curious as to how fast somebody can nail down a qualifying spot and what sport has the privilege? Most sports allow selection right up to almost a month or six weeks but what's the earliest an athlete can guarantee a spot?

Though there are no official qualification systems yet released by the sporting federations, if we go on previous years then the first direct qualifiers generally come in Shooting and at the World Equestrian Games in 2018. However, the qualification for football usually is the first one to kick-off with the European qualifiers beginning this year. The qualification period in Judo will likely begin early 2018 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chloe and Sam Magee into the Semi Finals of the European Championships Mixed Doubles Badminton

https://twitter.com/chloenmagee/status/858043995238354946

http://www.the42.ie/chloe-sam-magee-european-championships-2-3365021-Apr2017/

Great achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A shame to see that Sycerika McMahon has retired from competitive swimming. Seemed destined for great things as a junior but she didn't kick on after she moved to Texas unfortunately. Best of luck to her anyway.

Disappointing not to see the Mixed Modern Pentathlon added to the Tokyo schedule this week, the event at which Natalya Coyle and Arthur Lanigan-O'Keefe have won a World Cup event.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2017/0609/881527-mixed-gender-relays-added-to-tokyo-programme/

Joe Ward says he is aiming for Tokyo
    Triple European boxing gold medallist Joe Ward has turned his back on a move to the professional ranks and will captain the Irish team at next month’s World boxing championships in Hamburg.
    He has also revealed that he will stay with the Irish boxing team for the next Olympics in 2020.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/joe-ward-turns-his-back-on-move-to-pro-boxing-and-commits-to-irish-team-for-2020-olympics-35923164.html

One of our big Tokyo 2020 prospects needs our help to keep the dream alive. Jonty has set up a crowd-funding campaign to help keep him with the horse that brought him 9th place at the Rio 2016 Olympics. If you are wanting to know a bit more about how to help out, see here....

https://www.jontyandart.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I guess we could see this girl in Tokyo in three years' time - she won gold in the 100m at the European under-20 Championships today. A huge step up from this level to the Olympics of course but fair play to her anyway.

https://twitter.com/EuroAthletics/status/888421828363997184

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

The swimming worlds start tomorrow.

Conor Ferguson
    Brendan Hyland
    Nicholas Quinn
    Shane Ryan
    Jordan Sloan
    Mona McSharry

Particularly looking forward to seeing how Mona McSharry gets on in the 100m breaststroke after her success in the recent European Junior Championships.

Even outside of the Irish interest, I think this will be a great week of action ahead. Will Peaty break the world record again? The rivalries with Mack Horton/Sun Yang and Lilly King/Yulia Efimova. Then Ledecky going for 6 golds.
    Ledecky will race every day for seven straight days, a total of 6,300 meters if all goes according to plan. That's nearly 4 miles in total, encompassing freestyle races that range from 200 meters (essentially, a sprint) to 1,500 (the grueling metric mile).

To add a little perspective, Michael Phelps put in 3,300 meters — roughly half the distance of Ledecky's program — on his way to a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics. No one is aware of a pool swimmer ever covering so much distance within the confines of a single major meet.

For anyone else, it would seem ludicrous to even consider such a daunting plan.

But Ledecky did 6,200 meters at the last world championships, two years ago in Kazan, Russia, where she won five gold medals. She's added the 4x100 free relay to her repertoire since then.

At the Rio Olympics last summer, Ledecky captured four gold medals and a silver. That must have seemed like a breeze, a mere 3,300 meters for the week since the 1,500 wasn't part of the women's program.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ap-ledecky-prepares-for-another-big-week-at-world-championships-2017-7?r=US&IR=T

Without Phelps and Lochte, there is a still a lot to look forward to.

Eurosport and BBC both showing this.

Some great swims yesterday. Love these championships

Sjostrom....wtf....some relay (FIRST) leg on the 4x100 obliterating Cate Campbell's WR!

Sun Yang took that 400 by the scruff....almost getting the WR.....

I like Steve Parry, I think it is. Very enthusiastic commentator. Works well with Andy Jameson, although Moorehouse's familiar voice missed.

Anyone catch the 10 m platform dive final? Daley.....unreal that he is still at the top...Brilliant diving. He scored higher than the Rio gold medal win.

Peaty and Sjostrom dominated their finals today..

Ireland's Shane Ryan finished 6th in his 100 back semi. Failed to make final..swan very fast in finishing only 1/10 outside his Irish record..

Super final for tomorrow night.

walshb wrote: »
    Peaty and Sjostrom dominated their finals today..

Ireland's Shane Ryan finished 6th in his 100 back semi. Failed to make final..swan very fast in finishing only 1/10 outside his Irish record..

Super final for tomorrow night.

Mona McSharry 8th in her heat with 10 in it. Over a second outside her national record.

Jordan Sloan finished last in his heat.

If you think the King/Efimova/Meilutyte rivallry was big in Rio last summer. I think it will be a even bigger race tomorrow. Efimova was .01 second outside Meilutyte's world record and after winning starting wag her finger in obvious reference to what King did last summer. For the sake of swimming, I hope King wins tomorrow.

On an Irish note, the commentators on Eurosport said Meilutyte has lost her coach to Irish swimming who is now in charge of the national programme here.

Some great swims yesterday. Love these championships

Sjostrom....wtf....some relay (FIRST) leg on the 4x100 obliterating Cate Campbell's WR!

Sun Yang took that 400 by the scruff....almost getting the WR.....

I like Steve Parry, I think it is. Very enthusiastic commentator. Works well with Andy Jameson, although Moorehouse's familiar voice missed.

Anyone catch the 10 m platform dive final? Daley.....unreal that he is still at the top...Brilliant diving. He scored higher than the Rio gold medal win.

Loving it as well. It's a great week of sport.

I don't think Sjostrom is down for the 200m freestyle which is a pity. Her against Ledecky would be epic. It was a close race in Rio.

Mona McSharry 8th in her heat with 10 in it. Over a second outside her national record.

Jordan Sloan finished last in his heat.

If you think the King/Efimova/Meilutyte rivallry was big in Rio last summer. I think it will be a even bigger race tomorrow. Efimova was .01 second outside Meilutyte's world record and after winning starting wag her finger in obvious reference to what King did last summer. For the sake of swimming, I hope King wins tomorrow.

On an Irish note, the commentators on Eurosport said Meilutyte has lost her coach to Irish swimming who is now in charge of the national programme here.

I think the 100 BS record will go tomorrow. Efimova to take it....Could be a cracking race...

The British lads in the 200 free are on fire. Duncan Scott who qualified fastest? Effortless stroke he has...

Ben Proud winning the 50 fly was brilliant. Such a down to earth likable lad.

I think the 100 BS record will go tomorrow. Efimova to take it....Could be a cracking race...

The British lads in the 200 free are on fire. Duncan Scott who qualified fastest? Effortless stroke he has...

Ben Proud winning the 50 fly was brilliant. Such a down to earth likable lad.

Definitely I would say. Likewise, I can't wait for it.

Watching the heats to the mens 50m breaststroke, Peaty breaks the WR again. And in the previous heats there was me thinking Peaty won't have it all his way after watching van der Burgh and Cordes looking so strong. Peaty's main aim he said is to eventually go under 57 secs for the 100m. Now he should have a new one, sub 26 for the 50m. I wouldn't put it past him.

Brendan Hyland just now last in his 200m butterfly heat. Well outside his Irish record.

Definitely I would say. Likewise, I can't wait for it.

Watching the heats to the mens 50m breaststroke, Peaty breaks the WR again. And in the previous heats there was me thinking Peaty won't have it all his way after watching van der Burgh and Cordes looking so strong. Peaty's main aim he said is to eventually go under 57 secs for the 100m. Now he should have a new one, sub 26 for the 50m. I wouldn't put it past him.

Brendan Hyland just now last in his 200m butterfly heat. Well outside his Irish record.

I can't think of a more dominant swimmer in one single discipline tha Peaty in the BS. Maybe Phelps in the butterfly, but not as far ahead as his rivals, plus the 200 is longer. Peaty only has 100 metres to show his dominance...

Peaty almost got the 50 BS record on the first 50 of his 100 final yesterday...

Now he gets it on the 50 BS....

Peaty went sub 26 in the semis...

Two British lads failed to medal in 200 free...

Still catching up..

• Advertisement

Great evening of finals today. Anyone watch?

Chad Le Clos takes a great 200 fly from start to finish to beat local favourite, Laszlo Cseh.

Bit of a shock for Ledecky in the 200 (her weakest distance), being hauled in and beaten by Pelegrini...Ledecky was trying to win the double quadruple with back to back WC golds in 200/400/800 and 1500..

Peaty as expected a clear winner in the 50 BS..another sub 26..double double in the WCs..

Some super action..

Advertisement