Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone posted a picture of me on Facebook...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Collie D wrote: »
    That's the second time this has been asked. Is it so unusual for someone not to want photos of themselves posted online?

No, but it's unusual to have such a violent reaction as the OP.
    Welfare or marital cheating are reasonable suspicions given the OPs anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would also be annoyed OP. Definitely ask them to take it down. It's an obnoxious thing to do - particularly if you didn't pose for a photo, so if it's unintentional then I'm sure he'll oblige. I'm as sure as I can be that no photos of me have appeared online since one around 12 years ago on bebo and I will try to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

My two cents....
    Only a picture. It's hardly bloody the end of the world.

But as others say if it bothers you that much ask them to take it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I would also be annoyed OP. Definitely ask them to take it down. It's an obnoxious thing to do - particularly if you didn't pose for a photo, so if it's unintentional then I'm sure he'll oblige. I'm as sure as I can be that no photos of me have appeared online since one around 12 years ago on bebo and I will try to keep it that way.

Ah, come on. If you're not posing for the photo then you're likely in the background of someone else's picture. If you're so sensitive about someone putting up a photo of themselves that you're in background of, maybe you should just stop leaving the house.

Different story if you're one of the main subjects of a photo that you weren't aware was being taken, of course. But those can be some of the best photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

kylith wrote: »
    Ah, come on. If you're not posing for the photo then you're likely in the background of someone else's picture. If you're so sensitive about someone putting up a photo of themselves that you're in background of, maybe you should just stop leaving the house.

Different story if you're one of the main subjects of a photo that you weren't aware was being taken, of course. But those can be some of the best photos.

I realise I'm in the minority these days but that's how I feel. I would be understanding if I ended up in the background of a pic accidentally but that's not what this sounds like. I don't attend social events so I find it easy enough to avoid pictures and I expect to be left alone by snap happy people at work.

I have found almost everyone respectful of my choice not to be photographed online. They may think I'm weird but I really don't care. Only two people ever have been difficult about it and they were arrogant, selfish people anyway so no surprise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Todd Gack wrote: »
    And how would you know how I feel or what I think based on one glib comment?

I don't. Which is why I stated so in the part of my comment which came after the bit you chose to quote. I gather you're joking, but the mentality expressed in your 'glib comment' is one that is held by a lot of folk.

It's not a dig at you, more a dig at the comment. It's something that doesn't sit right with me that in a time when we are all supposedly on board with positive mental health etc, that we* still can't accept that certain things that we find so routine cause serious distress for some folk - social media being one of those things

* by 'we' I mean humankind in general, not 'you'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Someone took my photo one time. Taxi driver turned up and told me I was on the front page of some facebook thing. Dunno. Haven't got that. Didn't concern me in the least though. It's me. Ye can see me walking down the road!

Then, it appeared in the Irish Times! Now, half the country's f**king seen me! :p I don't give a damn. It's a Fantastic photo! Really good work.

Beauty is, of course, only those as know me will know it's me. To everyone else, it'll remain some bloke. So, I don't worry about it :)

Stigura wrote: »
    Someone took my photo one time. Taxi driver turned up and told me I was on the front page of some facebook thing. Dunno. Haven't got that. Didn't concern me in the least though. It's me. Ye can see me walking down the road!

Then, it appeared in the Irish Times! Now, half the country's f**king seen me! :p I don't give a damn. It's a Fantastic photo! Really good work.

Beauty is, of course, only those as know me will know it's me. To everyone else, it'll remain some bloke. So, I don't worry about it :)

That's great and all, but the OP does mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

If you are in public space, there's not a lot you can do apart from asking the guy to take the picture down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Ruxjit, you're kind of in the same boat as Mischa Barton, of whom an ex is trying to sell a sex tape of, to the highest bidder.

Also reminiscent of Howard Hughes, whose "friends" kept bugging him to leave his hotel room/floor.

You are very different however to vampires who do not show up in photographs and cast no reflection in mirrors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Hate Facebook.. I don't understand the majority of people who are happy to share anything and everything with the world and they think I'm crazy for not having an account.

Boards is social, but nothing like Facebook. It's an anonymous discussion forum with many topics for people to read and post their opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Are you an undercover cop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Patww79 wrote: »
    Plenty of stalkers on here too. The types of perves who'll tell you something you posted about 6 months ago. Makes them work harder though.

Aye remember 6 months ago when you started a thread about hiring suits. That's the kinda perve were talking about ;)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057707712/1/#post102660382

Edit: No idea what happened to the spelling on that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

You need to get over yourself. I'm not on Facebook so if anyone posts pictures of me while I appear my name isn't there as they can't tag you if your not on Facebook. So I don't see what your problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you are in public space, there's not a lot you can do apart from asking the guy to take the picture down.

Most workplaces are not public spaces. Shops, offices, shopping centres are no public spaces, even if generally open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You are free to take a photo in a public place. You are not free to publish it.

appledrop wrote: »
    So I don't see what your problem is.

Really? You can't? But .... the OP said EXACTLY what their problem was in their first post. Did you miss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are Am Eye wrote: »

There is no law that prevents you publishing any photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

I completely agree with you OP, I'd be fooking livid. And if there is no law to prevent people posting your pic on line then what about some good manners like, 'hey Ruxjet, I've taken photo of you at work, do you mind if I post it on FB?'. At least you have a chance to give the thumbs up or down.

I was at a work mid summer BBQ this year that had a open bar so by 1.00 in the morning we were all many sheets to the wind. So we're out on the dance floor thinking we're all Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers and this stupid bint was recording people with her phone. I wanted to go over and shove it up her backside.

Nowadays you don't know what's going to end up where on line. I think it's very scary, but then I'm an old fuc ker.

CFlat wrote: »
    I completely agree with you OP, I'd be fooking livid. And if there is no law to prevent people posting your pic on line then what about some good manners like, 'hey Ruxjet, I've taken photo of you at work, do you mind if I post it on FB?'. At least you have a chance to give the thumbs up or down.

I was at a work mid summer BBQ this year that had a open bar so by 1.00 in the morning we were all many sheets to the wind. So we're out on the dance floor thinking we're all Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers and this stupid bint was recording people with her phone. I wanted to go over and shove it up her backside.

Nowadays you don't know what's going to end up where on line. I think it's very scary, but then I'm an old fuc ker.

Absolutely! 100% and as an aside to that, a secondary issue (besides the more important one of privacy) is that of the 30+ pictures these people take, the one they look best in goes right up, never mind if you're there in the background looking like the most disfigured version of yourself!

I know some of you are jesting, but it will happen (if it hasn't already somewhere) that a child will sue a parent for invasion of privacy or something mad like that, all because of a scan of them in the womb that was posted on FB or some video of them at their 1st birthday party shoving cake into their face or falling off a table. Quite a lot of children today make their FB debut before they even open their eyes. It's kind of sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

OP, is it a photo of you or is it a photo that you're in? It seems like an important distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Absolutely! 100% and as an aside to that, a secondary issue (besides the more important one of privacy) is that of the 30+ pictures these people take, the one they look best in goes right up, never mind if you're there in the background looking like the most disfigured version of yourself!

I know some of you are jesting, but it will happen (if it hasn't already somewhere) that a child will sue a parent for invasion of privacy or something mad like that, all because of a scan of them in the womb that was posted on FB or some video of them at their 1st birthday party shoving cake into their face or falling off a table. Quite a lot of children today make their FB debut before they even open their eyes. It's kind of sad.

In the occupiers home,all children under 18 are under parents consent which they give seeing as they can and as the taker of the photograph own all rights there would be zero chance a child could sue a parent for invasion of privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always find people who act like this are generally pathetic!

In the occupiers home,all children under 18 are under parents consent which they give seeing as they can and as the taker of the photograph own all rights there would be zero chance a child could sue a parent for invasion of privacy

The logical part of my brain agrees with you, but I don't know. Kids sueing McDonalds for making them fat seemed mad to me too. I'm not suggesting they would be successful claims, but I still reckon someone will try it whenever that demographic make it to 18/19

I always find people who act like this are generally pathetic!

People who act like what? People who post photos of others online or people who don't like others putting photos up of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    People who act like what? People who post photos of others online or people who don't like others putting photos up of them?

People like the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Very ignorant to post up someone else's picture without any consent sought.

Unfortunately there is a generation that gives this sort of thing not a first thought, never mind a second.

Perhapos the OP is just in the background, not the subject of the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Are Am Eye wrote: »

you've just made that up , haven't you?

https://www.digitalrights.ie/photographers-rights/
    Your Subject’s Rights

Can the subject of a photo prevent you from publishing it? Most of the caselaw in Ireland has centred on the misuse of celebrity images to imply an endorsement of a commercial good or service. This is dealt with by the courts, in general under the normal rules covering passing off. So, if the subject’s image might be worth money if used in an advertisement or as part of a product endorsement, they have a right to protect the income flowing from that, as a property right.

But what about the rest of the world, who don’t make their fortunes by assuring the world that, as Hollywood millionaires, they choose only the finest home-bottle hair-dyes to colour their hair? As the actor Gordon Kaye found out, when he was photographed by an interviewer whilst recovering from a serious head injury in hospital, there’s not much anyone can do to prevent you from publishing your photos. Provided your photographs are genuine, even if they would bring the subject down in the eyes of society, they’re not libellous.

Advertisement