Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too old to take up BJJ

• 10-07-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am 35 years of age, and I have been thinking of taking up BJJ as a hobby, fitness and also self defence.

I have no matial arts experience whatsoever, bit anxious about starting at my age. Would I be too old starting now?

I have been looking up different types of martial arts and BJJ is the one that appeals to me the most.

I'd appreciate any advice or help.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was listening to a podcast the other day with Nick Brooks, a UK BJJ instructor. He was in his late 30s when he started BJJ and he's a 2nd degree black belt under Roger Gracie now.

There's no reason you can't start in your 30s. You can probably get away with more in your teens and 20s because of the resilience of the body at that age, but it's still no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

I'm 30, I'm 6'3 and 17st. I started 2 years ago and have lost 4 stone, doubled my stamina, tripled my general fitness, become much happier, less stressed, less anger and temper, learned that size and strength don't mean as much as I thought and have just generally had lots of fun.

I go up and for 2 hours I forget anything happening outside the gyms walls.

I cannot recommend BJJ enough. It can be daunting at the start but don't just try one class. Try for one month and see. You need multiple classes to get a proper feel for it!

As I type I'm getting ready to head up to class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for all the replies, I think I am going to give it a try. Putting on a lot of weight recently and I really want to try BJJ.

I suffer a lot with stress so that sounds good that it may relieve that!

Could anyone recommend any BJJ places to try north dublin area/ city centre? Or where would be best for beginners?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

bri007 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, I think I am going to give it a try. Putting on a lot of weight recently and I really want to try BJJ.

Could anyone recommend any BJJ places to try north dublin area/ city centre? Or where would be best for beginners?

Thanks

https://www.junglebjjdublin.com/ are offer 2 weeks free trial cant go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

I'm out in Ashbourne in Gracie Barra but Team Ryano is in finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

There is a bjj place beside my crossfit gym. It's called red branch ju jitsu. The guys are dead sound and I did one or two sessions myself as a beginner and they were great. Just didn't have to keep it up with crossfit. Check it out. Location is fair view so perfect for north Dublin/city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Dave 101 wrote: »
    https://www.junglebjjdublin.com/ are offer 2 weeks free trial cant go wrong

Can confirm about Jungle BJJ, a great gym. Love training there.

Also can confim 35 isnt too old. I started in march 2016, at the ripe old age of 36.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Too old for what?

-to win the worlds? probably too far gone yeah

- to get fitter, stronger, learn a new skill and meet new people? definitely not! enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I started BJJ aged 34 with 2 busted knees and I am still doing it 6 years later... you're not too old to take it up.

You may not have the flexibility of the younger lads and recovery will take longer but as you progress you work with a game to suit your limitations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Yes, you are too old and infirm. Stick to watersports. Because you are so old.

PS. I am 31. You old f*ck. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Richy06 wrote: »
    Yes, you are too old and infirm. Stick to watersports. Because you are so old.

PS. I am 31. You old f*ck. ;-)

Your only 31?!............
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

Thanks

A new beginners course just started last week at Royal Grappling Academy, Mondays and Thursdays from 6-7pm ;

Ballycoolin Industrial Estate, Blanchardstown.

https://royalgrapplingacademy.com/

Give it try if you have not started elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Hi, I am 35 years of age, . . . .
    Would I be too old starting now?

No

Advertisement