Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Closed pp acc ahes ago, won money on new one but not getting paid

• 15-07-2017 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Bulling tonight. It was only 40 odd euro but I won money on handicap score bet with Carlow in the gaa and another few Bob on the horses.

I had closed my paddy power account 4 or 5 months ago.

I opened a new one today with my debit card and placed a few bets. It then asked me to verify my account. I sent them by email a pic of my passport and proof of address.

2 hours later my account was closed. Rang them up and they said even though my old account is closed it still counts as an account and having two accounts is against their terms and conditions. When I try to log into my old account it won't let me. Apparently I should have rang up and reopened my old account, how the hell was I supposed to know that! t I don't use my credit card anyways which is what my old account was associated with.

So they're not giving me my winnings.

Absolute joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Don't think there's anything you can do tbh.

They have themselves covered in their terms and conditions im sure

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Don't think there's anything you can do tbh.

They have themselves covered in their terms and conditions im sure

I'm sure they do... Still don't understand it how they can deem a closed account open, or how they can take bets before validating an account.

Lost the battle. For anyone else that's interested they group open and closed accounts as just "accounts", although they never state that anywhere.

Here's the vague t and c extract:

'where we reasonably suspect that you have opened duplicate Accounts or where we reasonably suspect that second or subsequent Accounts are under common control with your Account with a view to concealing the true worth, nature or pattern of Bets placed by you or on your behalf, even if second or subsequent Accounts are opened under different names"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The more I hear about trouble with online accounts, the more I see the advantages in walking into a shop and putting on a bet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Guffy

Did you avail of a new customer offer the second time? This is one of the reasons why

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Had same issue last year - won two election bets. Total win was about €100 - closed account because I had a dormant account last used 5 years ago.

Rarely bet, forgot I used them before. Bit stupid of them. I can see their point if two active accounts were open at same time, but one used 5 years ago and not used since?

Guffy wrote: »
    Did you avail of a new customer offer the second time? This is one of the reasons why

Nope

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Had same issue last year - won two election bets. Total win was about €100 - closed account because I had a dormant account last used 5 years ago.

Rarely bet, forgot I used them before. Bit stupid of them. I can see their point if two active accounts were open at same time, but one used 5 years ago and not used since?

You didn't get the 100 I take it

Nalz wrote: »
    You didn't get the 100 I take it

Nope - they just refunded the deposit

I find the terms and conditions too vague for what happened to us

'where we reasonably suspect that you have opened duplicate Accounts or where we reasonably suspect that second or subsequent Accounts are under common control with your Account with a view to concealing the true worth, nature or pattern of Bets placed by you or on your behalf, even if second or subsequent Accounts are opened under different names"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Online bookies don't like people opening multiple accounts because its sometimes used to get another bash at the 'free bet / free money' opening offer, it involves extra work for them in terms of reviewing & verifying that the player is who they say they are, what jurisdiction they're in, and that they're over the age of 18. The old account may have limits in place by the bookie, because of arbing, or just because the punter is too good for them, or because the punter imposed limits on themselves to stop them spending too much. The regulators who issue the various licences that the bookies operate under (Malta, Isle of Man, Gibraltar & nowadays individual EU countries as well) usually have in their rules that punters can only have one account. The upshot is that the customer service and fraud prevention teams take an inconsistent kack-handed approach sometimes and close an account they they really should leave open.

Online bookies don't like people opening multiple accounts because its sometimes used to get another bash at the 'free bet / free money' opening offer, it involves extra work for them in terms of reviewing & verifying that the player is who they say they are, what jurisdiction they're in, and that they're over the age of 18. The old account may have limits in place by the bookie, because of arbing, or just because the punter is too good for them, or because the punter imposed limits on themselves to stop them spending too much. The regulators who issue the various licences that the bookies operate under (Malta, Isle of Man, Gibraltar & nowadays individual EU countries as well) usually have in their rules that punters can only have one account. The upshot is that the customer service and fraud prevention teams take an inconsistent kack-handed approach sometimes and close an account they they really should leave open.
    Fully accepted, but a quick review which would take a few seconds would have seen that my account was dormant for 5 years. No offer was taken up, probably 4 or 5 losing bets and 1 or 2 winners.

New account (email has changed since and can barely remember last week let alone a passwrod for 5 years ago :) )

It was a small win on election (FF getting over an amount of seats) - no offer taken up. Hardly somethign to raise a flag.

Do i care? No. Because I don't bet much and I invariably lose as most punters do over time. So I see it as a long term win! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nalz wrote: »
    I find the terms and conditions too vague for what happened to us

I think that's pretty clear cut to be honest. Now if you closed your old account years ago they could probably cut you a bit of slack but I would say without getting into the rights and wrongs of it they've covered themselves there.

Collie D wrote: »
    I think that's pretty clear cut to be honest. Now if you closed your old account years ago they could probably cut you a bit of slack but I would say without getting into the rights and wrongs of it they've covered themselves there.

Fair enough, I'd still argue that ''Second or subsequent accounts under common control" is not that clear cut if one is closed.

It's not difficult to outline this exact problem in their terms, who they've failed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

My guess is that you had some kind of responsible gambling limit on your old account, like a deposit limit or something like that.

I know PP don't necessarily enforce the duplicate account rule that often unless the other account has some kind of limit, and legally they can't allow you to bypass the limit. But yeah it's just unlucky. I don't know why so many people make several accounts. It can't be that hard to simply call them up or go on live chat to double check if you have a previous account. It saves all this kind of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

The more I hear about trouble with online accounts, the more I see the advantages in walking into a shop and putting on a bet instead.

Spot on, I also like to have a copy of the bet in my hand instead of a screen shot

Advertisement