Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail - waiting to pounce...

• 09-07-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Like a mischief of rats waiting in the long grass, Fianna Fail are waiting to pounce.
    The next blip that Fine Gael have, FF will go in, and like the scum that they are, will pull the plug on the current government and then get an election called.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Is there any difference between FF/FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Donal55 wrote: »
    Is there any difference between FF/FG?

While FG might some guiding ideology, sense of duty and principles. Fianna Fail have nothing. In the last recession we saw the craven way in which they handed the keys of country over the Troika. They acted like absolute scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Waiting to pounce.......... and waiting....... and waiting

Polls arent moving enough for them to be confident enough to try something yet.
    But give FG enough rope and they will surely hang themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The FG principles of which are bandied about seem no more than a drive to increase the size of the state in terms of oversight and regulation so as to benefit the professional classes that support them. Political theory 101*. Not that FF, Lab would do otherwise, in other than a different appeal to cloak their self interest.

* Bad Behaviour is Good Politics - Smith and Mesquita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

jetsonx wrote: »
    While FG might some guiding ideology, sense of duty and principles. Fianna Fail have nothing. In the last recession we saw the craven way in which they handed the keys of country over the Troika. They acted like absolute scum.

Just look at the AGs move to Appeal Judge.
    No sign of any sense of duty or principle there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They damaged her. She'll always get seen as a flawed candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they wont surpass FG. I read a piece by Willie O'Dea in the paper earlier, all ready looking to hike all forms of welfare again. The be everything to everyone party. If an election is held, FG will win more seats than them. I think with the damage they have done, nobody trusts them with the economy, I dont anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they wont surpass FG. I read a piece by Willie O'Dea in the paper earlier, all ready looking to hike all forms of welfare again. The be everything to everyone party. If an election is held, FG will win more seats than them. I think with the damage they have done, nobody trusts them with the economy, I dont anyway.

But as the far left (aaa, pbp, Richard, Paul, Ruth) and the entitlement brigade have shown it's not about the economy it's "what can you do for me?

We had a local ff councillor on radio complaining that Leo had suggested those who work would benefit more in the next budget than those on welfare.

Too many people, imo, only look at decisions that directly impact them and not the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I am expecting FG under Leo to be a lot more professional and wordly than it has been. Based on the start he has made he is not being locked away in cotton wool in a cupboard under the advise of 'handlers'. This has plagued FG leaders since Garret at least.

Instead he has been out there sticking it to the opposition so far at least. This gets the core vote for FG inspired and bodes well for a fair bounce back to reclaim so much of the ground that should never have been lost in the last general election.

IF it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am still disgusted with FF over their stance on water charges. Vote chasing spinless money wasting gombeens. But they're definitely waiting for their chance, sharpening their knives and making a hundred little cuts. To date though they have nothing. And FG definitely on a rising wave with Leo, will be a while before they can be taken down.

• Advertisement

I am still disgusted with FF over their stance on water charges. Vote chasing spinless money wasting gombeens. But they're definitely waiting for their chance, sharpening their knives and making a hundred little cuts. To date though they have nothing. And FG definitely on a rising wave with Leo, will be a while before they can be taken down.
    you have to be somewhat populist in politics, but FF populism is reckless to the extreme. I also think the hundreds of thousands of hardworking have had enough of the wont pay brigade etc.
    We had a local ff councillor on radio complaining that Leo had suggested those who work would benefit more in the next budget than those on welfare.
    to hell with them. FG wont get a single vote from welfare. Id call it as it is. Far too much time and sympathy here is given to those who do nothing but put their hand out and complain... How about they improve their own situation instead of waiting around for budget time and riding on the backs of the hard working?
    last budget those on welfare with their fiver increase, received more of an increase in welfare, than a worker on the average industrial wage received in the usc cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Vote chasing spinless money wasting gombeens.

That description is so apt. It encapsulates the DNA of Fianna Fail so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Owryan wrote: »
    But as the far left (aaa, pbp, Richard, Paul, Ruth) and the entitlement brigade have shown it's not about the economy it's "what can you do for me?

Too many people, imo, only look at decisions that directly impact them and not the bigger picture.

With their 4% support? They are used, like Murphy as regards Irish Water, as the political bogeyman.
    Like FF before them warned if we voted Labour we'd have the IMF at the door, supporters of the conservative Fine Gael point to Murphy. They're reluctant to point too much at their political partners Fianna Fail for the moment. No doubt they'll be the worst shower in the world come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

For a party who's mantra was to live in the present and to spend spend spend, I'm suspicious of Fianna Fáil's insistence that the government set aside several billion for a rainy day fund.
    I can't help but feel that FF plan on being in power after the next election and suddenly declaring it a rainy day, spending the money Fine Gael built up to garner more votes.

They would oppose most ideas, for the sake of it. I now rate ff opinion as much as I do the likes of Paul Murphy etc...

They would oppose most ideas, for the sake of it. I now rate ff opinion as much as I do the likes of Paul Murphy etc...

For different reasons I assume? To be fair Murphy never committed fraud against the state or caused two financial crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭flutered

Waiting to pounce.......... and waiting....... and waiting

Polls arent moving enough for them to be confident enough to try something yet.
    But give FG enough rope and they will surely hang themselves.
    simples, either of them two partys cannot afford to go to the country, they are like most in ireland, skint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭flutered

its hard to put murphy in the same box as ff, at least he has principles, has never caused ire.com untold grief

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

jetsonx wrote: »
    Like a mischief of rats waiting in the long grass, Fianna Fail are waiting to pounce.
    The next blip that Fine Gael have, FF will go in, and like the scum that they are, will pull the plug on the current government and then get an election called.

What do you think?

Do you think politicians operate in a vacuum? If FF returns to power it will be because Irish voters decide to go with them. There is no magic involved.

Most likely FF will return to power because despite everything they do represent the views and aspirations of a very very significant percentage of Irish voters, there is no realist alternative for those voters and to do otherwise would require Irish voters to accept their role in this sad affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

No difference between FF or FG imo. Two disgusting organisations who put party before country time and again.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Do you think politicians operate in a vacuum? If FF returns to power it will be because Irish voters decide to go with them. There is no magic involved.

Most likely FF will return to power because despite everything they do represent the views and aspirations of a very very significant percentage of Irish voters, there is no realist alternative for those voters and to do otherwise would require Irish voters to accept their role in this sad affair.

I partially agree but there's no excuse. People should stand by their choice. Complaining about lack of options or deriding choices they don't like is apologist tack. If you vote Fianna Fail that's on you. Be amusing to see the bare face cheek of Fine Gael slagging them off on how they are all of a sudden not fit to govern come election time.

No difference between FF or FG imo. Two disgusting organisations who put party before country time and again.
    don't agree. I don't rate either highly, but FF care about nothing other than buying power. Fg want power but aren't as populist in trying to buy everyone off, which was a big part of the problem last time round...

don't agree. I don't rate either highly, but FF care about nothing other than buying power. Fg want power but aren't as populist in trying to buy everyone off, which was a big part of the problem last time round...

I use to think FF were just better than FG at populism but in the last two terms it's just that they are one track. They are too arrogant to be even seen to address the needs of anyone not on their guest list come fund raising time IMO. The likes of Kenny and now Leo with his low grade politics just shows them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

The fact that a couple of years after the big crash that Willy is still speaking for them in the paper is part of whats holding them back.

Willy is part of Berties old gang, they havent cleared out the old crew at all really.
    New faces needed.

I dont even know if its new faces. Id never vote for them. There is a line and they crossed it, they would cross it again. They are simply too reckless. Their plan of throwing hard working peoples money at everything and never actually addressing anything isnt good enough...

they want to raise the oap by E5 per week, I read an article yesterday saying the OAP numbers are ballooning and will increase at a rapid rate (There are going to be major issues with funding the state pension). Welfare should be frozen for years! This will be seen as drastic here, anywhere else would probably take an axe to it!
    Mr O'Dea is credited with forcing the Government into hiking pensions by €5 in last year's budget, although Mr Varadkar then insisted the rise must be matched for other social welfare recipients.
    laughable. Hoping renua with their new tax policy policy win a few seats. Ive really had enough of this "we are all in this together" bull****. The pensioners with their free travel pass, no mortgage, no dependants, very generous state pension and perks. They are only pandered too because how many of them come out and vote...

Advertisement