Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Cream

Options
  • 09-07-2017 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭

Reading Tom Crean's unsung hero's autobiography at the moment and i'd say he was one of ireland's toughest men.what a ledgend.i hope more people educate themselves about him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

Does a fine pint

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mullyboyee wrote: »
    Does a fine pint

Nice and Creamy.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

It's covered in the history Programme in primary school now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Cream.
    lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Cream.....mmmmmmm....yummy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There was a story that the Black and Tans didn't burn down the South Pole Inn when they discovered his medals and realised who he was.

Pity those cnuts didn't take the same approach with my family. They served proudly in WW1. The father my Great Grand Father was a doctor and he aided injured Volunteer men during this time.

They burnt down his home for this. My late Grandmother was wheeled out in her pram as the Officers ordered everybody outside of the house.

They removed every piece of furniture and placed it outside before torching the curtains and burning down our family homestead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

there is a site on facebook that puts up pictures and stories of him, it is a very good site, their are also collecting signatures a get a navel vessel named after him. www.facebook.com/honourtomcrean/

smurgen wrote: »
    Reading Tom Crean's unsung hero's autobiography at the moment and i'd say he was one of ireland's toughest men.what a ledgend.i hope more people educate themselves about him.

Tom Crean didn't write an autobiography.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

An Unsung Hero needs to be made into a Hollywood epic, and Michael Fassbender needs to play Crean.

Some of the greatest feats of human survival & endurance against the odds, and Crean did it multiple times.

I honestly can't believe this hasn't been made into a movie yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I doubt anyone would make a movie that concentrated primarily on Crean. There was a TV drama with Kenneth Branagh as Shackleton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shackleton_(TV_serial) Also, there may be a new Shackleton movie in the works. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/21/tom-hardy-ernest-shackleton

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great for a bit of sunburn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Or educate themselves with regards to standard grammar :P

FYI, capital I for Ireland, capital at the start of a sentence and capitals for the personal I.

EchoIndia wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would make a movie that concentrated primarily on Crean. There was a TV drama with Kenneth Branagh as Shackleton. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shackleton_(TV_serial) Also, there may be a new Shackleton movie in the works. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/oct/21/tom-hardy-ernest-shackleton

Yeah. He was very strong and great for rowing. The real story was Shackleton, an Anglo Irish man who deserves to be remembered far more here, the country of his birth. He led his men home despite all the odds and at a time when so many were turned into cannon fodder in the Somme, so his brand of heroism was largely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Imagine on his Antarctic voyage with Shackleton:

Oh look we jolly well got ourselves an "Ice Cream" over here

*insert toffish hob nob titters here*

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Absolutely epic what those men did. They should be honoured.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The man is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Op if you can go and see the play based on Tom Crean. It is really wonderful. http://www.tomcreanshow.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

An Unsung Hero needs to be made into a Hollywood epic, and Michael Fassbender needs to play Crean.

Some of the greatest feats of human survival & endurance against the odds, and Crean did it multiple times.

I honestly can't believe this hasn't been made into a movie yet.

It has been. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

SeantheMan wrote: »

Or educate themselves with regards to standard grammar :P

FYI, capital I for Ireland, capital at the start of a sentence and capitals for the personal I.

Feel better now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Yeah. He was very strong and great for rowing. The real story was Shackleton, an Anglo Irish man who deserves to be remembered far more here, the country of his birth. He led his men home despite all the odds and at a time when so many were turned into cannon fodder in the Somme, so his brand of heroism was largely ignored.

Can you tell me what exactly it is that you thin k Shackleton needs to be 'remembered far more for'?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I remember reading about Shackleton recently and it seemed he was far more Anglo than Irish, other than being born here and spending part of his childhood here he had nothing else to do with Ireland did he? It seemed like a similar story to Wilde's

I remember reading about Shackleton recently and it seemed he was far more Anglo than Irish, other than being born here and spending part of his childhood here he had nothing else to do with Ireland did he? It seemed like a similar story to Wilde's

Dulwich College at 13. I don't know enough about his early years to comment but it seems to me that Ernest was something of the oft misquoted 1st Duke of Wellington's 'being born in a stable doesn’t make you a horse'.

Not Irish in any sense that we would understand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Tom Crean didn't write an autobiography.

I never said he did.but you know that already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Dulwich College at 13. I don't know enough about his early years to comment but it seems to me that Ernest was something of the oft misquoted 1st Duke of Wellington's 'being born in a stable doesn’t make you a horse'.

Probably about as Irish as Shane Ross who despite being born and raised in Ireland speaks with a posh English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

I don't know if Shackleton's epic survival was ignored.
    It's several decades since I had a copy of "Endurance" - the story of the failed trans - Antarctic expedition, but I believe Shackleton and his crew required permission, [probably from the Admiralty], to sail to Antarctica as the war had just started - and some of the party enlisted upon their return.
    For most of Shackleton's amazing feat of survival there would have been no knowledge of what was happening to them in England - they were the only people on Antarctica and the islands they went to!
    When Shackleton and his rescue party reached the whaling port on South Georgia he was astonished to be told that the war was not over and that huge numbers were being killed.
    There was an earlier expedition by Shackleton to reach the South Pole.
    For me, this was as instructive of the man's character as the later voyage.
    Having marched 800 miles, and being nearly 60 miles from the South Pole, Shackleton made the courageous command decision to turn back - as he believed his exhausted party could not survive if they continued.
    In both expeditions achievement was important - but not at the expense of people's lives.
    He never lost a man directly under his command.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

PCeeeee wrote: »

Ah yes, the old Protestant/Quaker etc. aren't proper Irish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

indioblack wrote: »
    I don't know if Shackleton's epic survival was ignored.
    It's several decades since I had a copy of "Endurance" - the story of the failed trans - Antarctic expedition, but I believe Shackleton and his crew required permission, [probably from the Admiralty], to sail to Antarctica as the war had just started - and some of the party enlisted upon their return.
    For most of Shackleton's amazing feat of survival there would have been no knowledge of what was happening to them in England - they were the only people on Antarctica and the islands they went to!
    When Shackleton and his rescue party reached the whaling port on South Georgia he was astonished to be told that the war was not over and that huge numbers were being killed.
    There was an earlier expedition by Shackleton to reach the South Pole.
    For me, this was as instructive of the man's character as the later voyage.
    Having marched 800 miles, and being nearly 60 miles from the South Pole, Shackleton made the courageous command decision to turn back - as he believed his exhausted party could not survive if they continued.
    In both expeditions achievement was important - but not at the expense of people's lives.
    He never lost a man directly under his command.

I'll have to move onto a Shackleton book next.Hooked on the explorer tales after reading this book. How people can spend years trapped on icebegs and not want to give up in amazing to me. Also if the mods could fix the thread title I would appreciate it. Seems as if my typing skills are severely compromised after 10 Guinness.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Ah yes, the old Protestant/Quaker etc. aren't proper Irish. :D

That is not what I said. I was deliberate in forming the last sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

He's hardly "unsung"
    There are plays about him, an exhibition in Tralee museum and even a1960's supergroup, featuring Eric Clapton who dedicated their name to him.

Advertisement