Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish universities spreading propaganda like in the USA/UK?

Options
  • 09-07-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I've just come from another thread where this was mentioned but decided not to go off topic and started my own.

FWIW I went to university and didn't experience much politicised content, but I didn't do Arts or anything like that.

Anyone care to share their experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing whatsoever in my day. Though one man's truth is another man's propaganda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There are LGBT societies in place and equality is a given. For some people that's propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Nope. I did fine art. There was a gender studies elective module, but I skipped it in favour of letter carving in stone.

You were allowed to pick your own marks in the gender studies module, so I was alone in the shed carving letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

The one thing I did notice is that a few of the lecturers did bash trump and complain about him but they always said this is my opinion and ppl don't have to agree with me etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Is it universities spreading propaganda or is it university students (typically one of the more radicalised and outspoken demographics in society) making their voices heard through technological advancements like social media?

The content of their arguments might be different, but is the context really that different to any student counterculture that has been prevalent around the world since the 60s? ie are students by their nature pretty politically anti-establishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Not while I was there anyway. Was in Science which tends to be quieter (not to mention smaller!), but had a fair few Arts friends and didn't particularly see anything going on either. Mind you, if I didn't agree with some poster up around the place, I'd probably have thought "sounds like bullsh*t" and then wandered off and gotten on with my life, so whatever I didn't agree with probably didn't register deeply enough to bother remembering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

In what way are US universities 'spreading propaganda' ?
    Or, is this just another Trump and his supporters' attack on anyone who challenges or disagrees with them and a constant battle against 'experts' and 'the main stream media'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭TheDavester

The 800 gender nonsnence, everyone's special, needs safe spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Or, is this just another Trump and his supporters' attack on anyone who challenges or disagrees with them and a constant battle against 'experts' and 'the main stream media'.

Well from what I've read a lot of students are being radicalised by their professors resulting in carnage and violent protests on campuses. But I'm not interested in debating US universities on this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There are too many Irish people getting too wrapped up in American right wing identity politics. All that time spent on alt-right/red pill forums and watching those creepy Youtube videos isn't going to do you any good and you don't have to start looking for "enemies" over here.

• Advertisement

University lecturers don't need to spread any propaganda these days, the students will find and follow their own "version of the truth" via the internet.
    Mostly in isolation from other students, as that is how the internet allows you to form opinions these days.
    It's when a group of students discover that there are many others on the same campus with similar opinions, that's when things could get "interesting".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Think its the other way dude. Students in the US seem to need safe spaces or stop speakers with different views from giving a talk in the college. Or have 'black only' area in Berkley university. That kind of sh*te.

Then again didnt we have that moron up in Galway uni about the Israeli speaker?

There are too many Irish people getting too wrapped up in American right wing identity politics. All that time spent on alt-right/red pill forums and watching those creepy Youtube videos isn't going to do you any good and you don't have to start looking for "enemies" over here.

The only person who seems to be identifying their enemies here is you, and you seem to have all the labels to describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

University is a place where you are exposed to other people's opinions, that includes the lecturers. The entire point of University (well lets say arts for now) is not that you take on-board whatever the prevailing opinion is, but rather that you learn how to cogently and effectively form an argument. Now I suspect the easiest way for people to do this is to simply parrot back whatever line their lecturers take, which is disappointing. But quite frankly you can teach people how to make an argument, you can't force them to be more inquisitive about common assumptions, which I suspect is where a lot of people's opinions emerge from. Take for example the issue of multiculturalism, on here its a very pressing contested issue, but most people simply don't care and will happily abide by the received wisdom on the topic.

I've no enemies at all, I'm just left baffled by the amount of Irish people so desperate to wrap themselves up in American online identity nonsense. There's even people declaring their support for the NRA now and getting in rows over US gun rights.

I've no enemies at all, I'm just left baffled by the amount of Irish people so desperate to wrap themselves up in American online identity nonsense. There's even people declaring their support for the NRA now and getting in rows over US gun rights.

Aren't you so cool and above it all.

marcus001 wrote: »
    Aren't you so cool and above it all.

Kinda. How are you? How's your day going so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Although they do have their drawbacks and are not for everyone, this is where trades are great.

You skip all of this pandering whimpy BS and jump straight into real life.

Kinda. How are you? How's your day going so far?

Pretty breezy. Sweating my balls off in the garden, what about yourself?

Working away, should be done pretty soon though and then out to enjoy the sun.

• Advertisement

Working away, should be done pretty soon though and then out to enjoy the sun.

No work on the sabbath for me :pac:

Transference?

I'd hate for all this American crap to work it's way into the Irish University system.

The NRA used to drive us insane, with their mad road plans!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I think your giving Irish students far too much credit OP, they've never been more un politicised, joining young FG is probably as radical as it gets.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think the important thing is us over here is that we take a long hard look at the cliff the US has gone over with identity politics both left and right and then we tell the muppets over here who are mimicking it that their bull**** will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have a degree in sociology but I got it a long time ago when feminism was still old school and before SJW had entered the scene.
    So it was a lot of patriarchy and society's classes but on a more sensible level than today.

We never had any of these
    hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sure who'd have time for any of that nonsense with all the drinking you'd be doing?

Sure who'd have time for any of that nonsense with all the drinking you'd be doing?

Great. That's all we need. Militant teetotalers. Want to ban alcohol cause it's offending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Great. That's all we need. Militant teetotalers. Want to ban alcohol cause it's offending them.

Don't give the ideas to some of them .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Bambi wrote: »
    I think the important thing is us over here is that we take a long hard look at the cliff the US has gone over with identity politics both left and right and then we tell the muppets over here who are mimicking it that their bull**** will not be tolerated.

I did see someone on FB rant about ending 500 years of white supremacy in ireland.

In general though it looks like this is happening outside the universities. We don't have the luxury of spending our days ranting about being oppressed in Yale while still getting a too 10% job just because we went to Yale.

Advertisement