Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Petition Numbers to remove politician?

Options
  • 07-07-2017 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

HI Guys,

I got the info i needed for the most part, so my question is now this, how many signatures would be required before notice would be taken & can gov be compelled to take action based on online petitions?

Thank You,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Online petitions aren't worth the paper they are written on.
    driverl wrote: »
    is this even possible?
    No, there is no such mechanism.

Based on the article, she is repaying AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

HI Guys,

Could i ask, if i wanted to create an online petition that people can sign, one that can be passed to the Irish Government, asking for the removal of a politician, how would i go about it?

I mean what is the best site to use, and how many signatures are required before action has to be taken or is this even possible?

SNIP

Thanks Guys.

Can you come back to us when you figure out how to deal with the recurrent topping of elections by Michael Lowry.

As for Regina, she is paying back her debts, so can I ask you to also perhaps instead cast your eyes to the same problem with deputy Barbie and his Vat woes.

But maybe first think this through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't want to debate the merits of this here, just find out how to set it up please?

In that case:

- don't express your opinions on public forums
    - don't ask questions on public forums
    - and above all else don't start petitions where you'd be expected to explain yourself

And you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 23 driverl

Victor wrote: »
    Online petitions aren't worth the paper they are written on.

No, there is no such mechanism.

Based on the article, she is repaying AIB.

HI Victor,
    Thanks for the info

Can you come back to us when you figure out how to deal with the recurrent topping of elections by Michael Lowry.

As for Regina, she is paying back her debts, so can I ask you to also perhaps instead cast your eyes to the same problem with deputy Barbie and his Vat woes.

But maybe first think this through.

HI jimmycrackcorm, many agree Michael lowry is a foul creature & a perfect example of irish politics.

The Revenue/Aib outrage is not the only driving factor many people desire this outcome.

I do appreciate your post, thanks.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    In that case:

- don't express your opinions on public forums
    - don't ask questions on public forums
    - and above all else don't start petitions where you'd be expected to explain yourself

And you'll be grand

HI Jim,
    Thanks for the post and the info

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

driverl wrote:
    I got the info i needed for the most part, so my question is now this, how many signatures would be required before notice would be taken & can gov be compelled to take action based on online petitions?

The simple answer is you can't. First of all you're talking about usurping the Democratic will expressed in elections. E.g. Lowry tops the poll every election, so let's start an online poll to have him removed, only to get reelected. Rinse and repeat.

Secondly online polls ignore the inability of a significant number of people, particularly elderly, to express their wishes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I am going to close this as this isn't what this forum is for.
    HI jimmycrackcorm, many agree Michael lowry is a foul creature & a perfect example of irish politics.

This sort of comment is unacceptable here. Please read the charter before posting again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement