Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Deasy... supposed TD, heading off to Washington

• 30-06-2017 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭

I think this merits a thread of its own, FG TD Deasy who was elected to represent the people of Waterford has been appointment as govt envoy to the US congress to work on the undocumented Irish, none of whom I assume voted for him in the last election.

He's basically feathering his nest and setting himself up for a diplomatic career as he can see the writing on the wall in terms of his position in the dail. An absolute charlatan that has abandoned his electorate in their time of need.

https://twitter.com/martinafitzg/status/880841391840088064

*i should add that I'm in no way affiliated to any party or movement, I just find it shocking that when the people of Waterford are crying out for 24/7 cardio care this joker jets off to the us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Back in the USSA, he has spent a lot of time in the States and has a load of contacts and social capital which he can draw on there, so I'm not shocked he got the gig but yes it's of no value to Waterford at all unless he is also moonlighting as an intermediary for the IDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gavlor wrote: »
    I think this merits a thread of its own, FG TD Deasy who was elected to represent the people of Waterford has been appointment as govt envoy to the US congress to work on the undocumented Irish, none of whom I assume voted for him in the last election.

Sounds like you have a pothole on your street that he isn't fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As long as he doesn't take Maura, away from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sounds like you have a pothole on your street that he isn't fixing.

Yep, a heart related pothole from 5pm- 9am and all weekend. He's our government party TD and less than 2 weeks after a man dies during the 1hr 45 minute ambulance journey to cork (because he had a heart attack outside office hours) deasy decides to pack his bags and head stateside.

Thanks for your input all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

You can be sure there will be plenty of Waterford people who are undocumented Irish in the U.S.

Also having a minster in your constituency is a privilege, it means you have a voice at cabinet meetings.

Why do people get so parochial about their TD's, yes he got voted in the represent the people of Waterford but he is a member of the Dail and the Dail represents the people of IRELAND

If every TD was the act they you want then to do NOTHING would be done on a national scale

• Advertisement

You can be sure there will be plenty of Waterford people who are undocumented Irish in the U.S.

Also having a minster in your constituency is a privilege, it means you have a voice at cabinet meetings.

Why do people get so parochial about their TD's, yes he got voted in the represent the people of Waterford but he is a member of the Dail and the Dail represents the people of IRELAND

If every TD was the act they you want then to do NOTHING would be done on a national scale

If that was the case we'd not have local constituencies, all politics is local.

Over 300,000 people directly impacted by the lack of 24/7 cardio care in the south east. This isn't a pothole fixing, phone box painting parish pump issue.

Parish>county>regional>national.

You're right, it's not national but it's not far off it.

Edit: that's the point, he's nowhere near a ministerial position so he's jumping ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

He's an absolute disgrace, he treats the constituency he is supposed to serve as an aside, he actually seems to treat his constituency with contempt!! It must be terrible to actually have to talk to normal working people every few years to get ready elected, it acts says an awful lot about the people who vote for him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

You can be sure there will be plenty of Waterford people who are illegal Irish in the U.S.

Fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Is there a by election now or does he keep his seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

That's incredibly simplistic Benny, surely you know how politics works instead of a dream land of fairness etc.

We have lost our only govt TD,(halligan is more of a hindrance to our cause)I was hoping when fg said they would reward John deasy in other ways,I was thinking they'll sort out the SDZ funding, now it's just an extended holiday for deasy, he's out of the way and won't be fighting for what is desperately needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

How did people vote this man back in so many times. His work with PAC was decent but I would've expected that he'd eventually put his head above the parapet for Waterford by now. Why is the quality of candidate always so poor in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Brian Hayes did something similar, hightailed it off to Europe after being elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

why do we call them undocumented irish??

they are f*&king illegal immigrants....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd have thought he'd get a Junior Ministry. Always struck me as someone of ability and with Enda Kenny gone and his long running feud against him, he'd be promoted.
    Perhaps this was the trade off but not going to do much for his loyal voters

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

I suspect this is how the conversation went . Leo says "John you've delivered a fg seat since year dot and done **** all for Waterford but you got your neighbours taps fixed. As Thankyou for ****ing Waterford up the ass for all these years and for not demanding that the south east and Waterford should have a TD ... Here's a plum job as a Thankyou ... And shir Waterford people will think your great and special." And we can. **** em up the ass again at the next election because they'll believe you must be a very important person to get a job in Washington ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goochy

As long as Maura doesn't go , she's in vip or rsvp in a swimsuit and looks very well !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Landed a juicy gig over there you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Gardner

Fine Gael TD John Deasy is to retire from politics at the next election, the Irish Independent can reveal.

The Government's envoy to Washington said he wanted to leave before he was "too old to start something".

It means the Deasy name will not be on the ballot paper in Waterford for the first time in half a century. John Deasy won his first Dáil election in 2002, taking over from his father Austin, who once served as minister for agriculture.

"My father left on his terms and I'm leaving on mine. That's one of the most important things in politics," Mr Deasy said.

He told Taoiseach Leo Varadkar of his decision last March but said he wanted to keep the situation out of the public eye due to his ongoing work in the United States.

"Next year will mark 30 years working in politics," the 51-year-old said. "I started working in the US senate in 1990. I've other interests. I felt for years that if I don't leave now I'll be too old to start something."

Mr Deasy has been unhappy with Fine Gael's constituency operation for some time and alleged earlier this year that bullying claims were not being dealt with.

The in-fighting even resulted in a motion of no confidence in the TD being passed last June after it was tabled by the brother of his party colleague Senator Paudie Coffey.

However, Mr Deasy, who is married to RTÉ presenter Maura Derrane, said local disputes were not a factor.

"Internal politics of Waterford has been quite nasty and personal over the last 20 years. The irony is it's been a blessing in many ways," he said.

"The personal criticism has only served to harden my core and if the people who are dishing it out spent half the time coming up with ideas I probably wouldn't be re-elected as many times as I was."

Mr Deasy is to continue in his role as Washington envoy until an election is called. The envoy position was created by Leo Varadkar but Mr Deasy told the Irish Independent whoever leads the next government should continue with the posting.

"The one thing I've learned is that US political figures expect and prefer to deal with elected politicians. That's not a criticism, just a reality," he said.

Asked what was the highlight of his 17 years in the Dáil, Mr Deasy cited his work on getting handguns banned in 2008.

He added: "The Dáil has changed a lot in recent years. As Irish politics has splintered, what has always been a precarious profession has become chronically uncertain.

"People are looking over their shoulder for an election all the time. That instability is only going to get worse."

Mr Coffey will be on the Fine Gael ticket for the next election. Mr Deasy is backing Councillor Liam Brazil as a running mate who could retain the seat for the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Landed a juicy gig over there you'd imagine.

And during that time he had probably the highest attendance levels among the Waterford TDs in the Dail.

hardybuck wrote: »

And during that time he had probably the highest attendance levels among the Waterford TDs in the Dail.

Anything to back that up?

Absolutely, it's all publicly accessible information.

Follow this link and you're looking for the second one down about the Deputies: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/publications/?q=&topic%5B%5D=record-of-attendance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

hardybuck wrote: »

Are you signed in automatically when your on government duty that takes you away from the dail?

debok wrote: »
    Are you signed in automatically when your on government duty that takes you away from the dail?

Was just about to ask that question. There’s no way he was home for that length of time given how much time he is required to spend in Washington as US special envoy.

debok wrote: »

I'm not sure - you'd have to check that.

I have seen him attending the Oireachtas Committees he's a member of in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Dexpat

He should have gone a long time ago. Can't believe he was elected last time.

He seemed to have no interest in Waterford people or its issues at a critical time when we needed a government TD to fight for us.

Being a 'public representative' for Waterford seems to have been a stepping stone. He can now wipe us off his shoes as he moves on to 'better things'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Asked what was the highlight of his career of 30 years in politics, answer: "getting handguns banned in 2008". Think that sums Deasy up. Complete waste of a Dail seat. I'm glad he has to step down under a cloud. Absolute twat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

BBM77 wrote: »
    Asked what was the highlight of his career of 30 years in politics, answer: "getting handguns banned in 2008". Think that sums Deasy up. Complete waste of a Dail seat. I'm glad he has to step down under a cloud. Absolute twat!
    And that done nothing about the handguns criminals had and still have. He took the handguns of law abiding people that jumped through hoops to be allowed have one yet he cribbed when he was told not to smoke in the Dail.Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Advertisement