Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should processed meats be banned from schools and hospitals cafeterias ?

• 26-06-2017 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Should Irish hospitals and schools ban processed meats from been served in their cafeterias?

I ask the question because last week the American Medical Association’s House of Delegates adopted a resolution calling on american hospitals to provide plant-based meals choices and remove processed meats from the menus.

Should Ireland lead the way like we did with the smoking ban by banning processed meats from all hospitals and school menus.

This resolution was co-sponsored by the Medical Society of the District of Columbia and the American College of Cardiology.

The wording of the resolution was, the American Medical Association hereby call on US hospitals to improve the health of patients, staff, and visitors by (1) providing a variety of healthful food, including plant-based meals and meals that are low in fat, sodium, and added sugars, (2) eliminating processed meats from menus, and (3) providing and promoting healthful beverages.”

The resolution was co-sponsored by the Medical Society of the District of Columbia and the American College of Cardiology.

The AMA’s recommendation, to remove processed meat from menus, is supported by strong scientific evidence. The World Health Organization warns that processed meats, including hot dogs, and bacon, are “carcinogenic to humans” and there is no amount safe for consumption.

Is it time to act now and nudge people towards healthier eating by no longer supplying these foods in our schools and hospitals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At the launch of the new Children's Hospital recently, the finger food provided was wedges, cocktail sausages, mini spring rolls and chicken wings.

I'm not sure Irish institutions understand food well enough to make these changes. As a nation we've been incredibly slow to get rid of the old "any old food will do" mindset from when we were dirt poor.

Even our hipster notions are variations on greasy carbohydrates, meat and chocolate. Pulled pork, baps, and doughnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Nothing wrong with processed meats as long as like everything else, you eat in moderation and the stuff you do eat is of good quality.

Those Americans might be better concerning themselves with the relatively poor food standards and what they allow the farm animals to consume over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You'll only push it underground and into the hands of the criminal gangs.
    Prohibition will not work in the War on Rashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Processed meats are part of my culture, hands off my wiener you hippies.

What is an unprocessed meat?
    Do you take a bite out of a cow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Only a matter of time before liberals try to ban meat. And I'm not even joking.
    Smoking bans are about harming other people not harming yourself.

Do you take a bite out of a cow?

I think you might have the simple decency to kill the cow first

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do many schools actually have cafeterias in Ireland?

Mine certainly didn't.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The HSE never will ban them because processed meat is cheap and our health service is already a shambles.

Actually the Americans pretty much eat processed everything.

You see a recipe for a cake and it's like "open a box of yellow cake mix and add oil" and that's the full recipe right there. I'm subscribed to a slow cooker FB group that has lots of US members and for things like a chicken casserole they have a tin of chicken pieces, tins of vegetables and tins of stock or whatever as their recipe.

Here in Ireland we've excellent home grown meat, veg and dairy. You look at any US cook show and their butter is off-white, ours is properly yellow. I'd bet that even our chicken nuggets produced here and processed to bejaysus have more nutrition than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The World Health Organization warns that processed meats, including hot dogs, and bacon, are “carcinogenic to humans” and there is no amount safe for consumption.
    That's not true. The recommendation from WHO is "that people who eat meat should moderate the consumption of processed meat to reduce the risk of colorectal cancer" (http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/)

Also, the figures are not exactly terrifying, unless it's making up a significant part of your diet (https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/world-health-organization-says-processed-meat-causes-cancer.html):
    Eating 50 grams of processed meat every day increased the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. That’s the equivalent of about 4 strips of bacon or 1 hot dog... Overall, the lifetime risk of someone developing colon cancer is 5%. To put the numbers into perspective, the increased risk from eating the amount of processed meat in the study would raise average lifetime risk to almost 6%.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Schools should concern themselves with education first. Such as teaching the difference between been and being. In fact it would do no harm to have lessons in hospitals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's not a bad idea but the minute I sense the vegan \vegetarian finger wagging lobby, I instantly want to eat processed meat until I collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Neyite wrote: »
    The HSE never will ban them because processed meat is cheap and our health service is already a shambles.

Actually the Americans pretty much eat processed everything.

You see a recipe for a cake and it's like "open a box of yellow cake mix and add oil" and that's the full recipe right there. I'm subscribed to a slow cooker FB group that has lots of US members and for things like a chicken casserole they have a tin of chicken pieces, tins of vegetables and tins of stock or whatever as their recipe.

Here in Ireland we've excellent home grown meat, veg and dairy. You look at any US cook show and their butter is off-white, ours is properly yellow. I'd bet that even our chicken nuggets produced here and processed to bejaysus have more nutrition than theirs.

Do you make your own stock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No but the quality of food served in hospitals should improve. I've not seen any schools down here with a full canteen like we had up north serving a choice of dinners, but even then 20 to 30 years ago we only got processed foods or chips once a week.

Loads of lovely salami and chorizo would be a good improvement.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mostly, yes. Not that there is anything wrong with using a stock cube, which I do when I've no stock in the freezer.

Hardly difficult is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Jayop wrote: »
    Hardly difficult is it?

It's fairly time consuming.

I make a fair a mount if stews, and casseroles and wouldn't bother.

If I had some stock to hand from something I had cooked recently I'll use that but otherwise stick in a stock cube.

Stew is what people eat before they invented pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loads of lovely salami and chorizo would be a good improvement.

I was always lead to believe that Salami was one of the worst processed meats!

• Advertisement

I was always lead to believe that Salami was one of the worst processed meats!

I'd have no doubt about that, it's fecking lovely though. And more of a nibble thing to have whereas with a typical irish breakfast you'd have a full plate of processed meats stacked up.

I'd have no doubt about that, it's fecking lovely though. And more of a nibble thing to have whereas with a typical irish breakfast you'd have a full plate of processed meats stacked up.

The last time I had Salami I ate a packet of it! It was a lot more than a nibble.

The last time I had Salami I ate a packet of it! It was a lot more than a nibble.

lol, yeah I can fall foul to that the odd time, especially after a few beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The problem isn't what kids/people are eating in schools/hospitals .......... the problem is what kids/people are eating at home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Do many schools actually have cafeterias in Ireland?

Mine certainly didn't.

That was my first thought. What school cafeterias?

No cafeteria?
    Gee, what did you do during recess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Peregrine wrote: »
    That was my first thought. What school cafeterias?

We had a chipper van outside our school at lunchtimes. Probably would be banned now.

Given the amount of tubby kids it's probably for the best.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    No cafeteria?
    Gee, what did you do during recess?

Go down town!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What would be the point of going to a hospital if you couldn't get a decent hang sandwich?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What would be the point of going to a hospital if you couldn't get a decent hang sandwich?

To catch MRSA and get the sick benefit.

Advertisement