Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting a whiskey Collection

• 18-05-2017 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi guys/girls...

I would appreciate your ideas... This is a long term project and planning to spend roughly 200 per year on one bottle... What would you buy? I will be buying at international duty free each year...

Im thinking middleton or redbreast 21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Why don't you start be mentioning which whiskeys you like and have tried?

Nobody just starts at 200 quid for their first dram.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

I like a redbreast 12, a glefiddich 12
    I also like them sweet... Jameson caskmates, makers mark...
    Im not too fond of peaty
    I've yet to try Japanese

I'm looking for womething that might appreciate in value over 20 years, or i might just drink it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Be careful of "duty free".

If you are travelling within eu there's no such thing as "duty free"

If you are travelling outside the eu then the savings are the €12 duty and the vat, so on a €60 bottle at retail here, the duty / tax free price should be about €38. However the airport shops add a little extra so it will be about €45 and put the highest comparable price they can find to make you think you are saving more.

You do get a fabulous choice in the good airport shops, but best to look at stuff you enjoy.

My own favourite is the Edradour distillery - I have 6 different full bottles from them and 12 empty or near empty ones. :)

I also have several Middleton - both full, empty and half empty. Mostly given as gifts over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

CeilingFly wrote:
    If you are travelling outside the eu then the savings are the €12 duty and the vat, so on a €60 bottle at retail here, the duty / tax free price should be about €38. However the airport shops add a little extra so it will be about €45 and put the highest comparable price they can find to make you think you are saving more.
    God bless the Irish for inventing the concept
    picachu wrote:
    I like a redbreast 12, a glefiddich 12 I also like them sweet... Jameson caskmates, makers mark... Im not too fond of peaty I've yet to try Japanese
    +1
    I see Glenfiddich are retailing certain vintages in airport dutyfrees only now? And their 15+ no longer exists after a spate of bulk sales in the US not so long ago?
    *Edit Glenlivet are..
    CeilingFly wrote:
    You do get a fabulous choice in the good airport shops, but best to look at stuff you enjoy.

I've heard in some ways you're as well saving on the E300 flights to the canaries and just buying one through your local off-licence? Then again the lad who said it to me wasn't as well travelled..
    I was over in Scotland for a mates wedding and in between we took a day or two touring the various highland distilleries, needless to say great free tours and much more reasonably priced merchandise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Airports in Germany offer good value for spirits.
    And being in the eu, there is no limit in what you can bring back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

mikeecho wrote: »
    Airports in Germany offer good value for spirits.
    And being in the eu, there is no limit in what you can bring back.

Limit is 10 litres actually.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

irish_goat wrote: »

Didnt know that.

However, i do think that Customs apply some discretion, i personally know people that make yearly trips to france and bring back wine well in excess of 90L, and they just tell customs that its for personal use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

irish_goat wrote: »

Its not a limit. Its the level that will be considered personal use without question.

There is no limit but you need to be able to show its for personal use. Hence the recommendations to bring docs about a wedding if booze cruising to France to stock up on wine for one.

Someone buying more than ten litres of premium spirits and able to prove they have a collection is unlikely to have any trouble. Come in with more than 10 €6 litres of gin from Spain and no other luggage and they have reason to assume you're selling them on!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

As per the OP it looks like you are starting a collection for investment, and not to drink it.

In my (Very Limited) experience so far the Midleton do go up in value each year and are much sought after, that should leave you with a few quid to pick a bottle or maybe two that are discontinued/limited release each year also.
    That part needs a bit of research, checking out rumors as to what is going out of production.

With lost of new entrants to the market recently it can be very hard to choose what to pick and with Jameson changing the range more regularly some of the new ones, or old ones that are finishing up may be worth picking up.

However like all investments, there is a element of risk to it.

But then, where is the fun in that - spend a few quid on some nice bottles, drink them and enjoy it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If saving for resale my advice is the most important thing is temperature stability. I lost a load of wine by storing it in the garage where it would go cold at night and raise to room temperature during the day. Didn't last a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If saving for resale my advice is the most important thing is temperature stability. I lost a load of wine by storing it in the garage where it would go cold at night and raise to room temperature during the day. Didn't last a year.

Spirits would be way, way more stable than wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 4nothing

Hi, this is a great little chat! I need to buy himself a bottle of Middleton as a gift. He's talking about starting an investment collection of one per year. So I need to know if there's anything in particular I should know/look out for and the best value place to buy it? Thanks :-)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

4nothing wrote: »
    Hi, this is a great little chat! I need to buy himself a bottle of Middleton as a gift. He's talking about starting an investment collection of one per year. So I need to know if there's anything in particular I should know/look out for and the best value place to buy it? Thanks :-)

If you've any reason to take the ferry to the UK or France, Midleton is about forty quid cheaper on board Irish Ferries than in retail here.

Quackster wrote: »
    If you've any reason to take the ferry to the UK or France, Midleton is about forty quid cheaper on board Irish Ferries than in retail here.

Walk on fares for the ferry are quite cheap.
    If you were to walk on with an empty suitcase, and buy a few bottles on board, you'd save the cost of the ticket, and then some

(Bring your own sandwiches and flask of tea to save even more :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I think if you could pick up some Paddy seven years old single potstill for between 70 and 80 euro, that would be a good buy as it is discontinued.

Advertisement