Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators

Options
  • 25-06-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Question on the use of moderators. Most of us realise that they keep down the noise level of the shot and not the supersonic crack. But which is the most dangerous to our hearing the explosion or the crack from breaking the sound barrier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Shooting moderators seems a little excessive despite their shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The shot is the more dangerous sound source I would think - it has more energy and is closer to your ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Any sound above 90db is going to cause damage to your hearing permanently. Actually anything above 85 is going to start to damage it but 90 is defiantly a nono.
    Now the majority of mods will reduce the noise by between 20-32 DB the supersonic crack is 130 and the average db for a centerfire rifle is 156db.
    So in reality it is never really 100% safe, However in school last week we had a rep in from RWS who also dose research into sound mods and he is of the opinion that although it is not 100% safe that due to the initial pressure wave being reduced and the fact that the gas is contained in the mod and that it is slowed down that yes it is still damaging to hearing but to a much lesser extent.
    It also depends on the type of mod that is being used.
    Or another factor is blowby where the gas has enough space to go past the bullet as it leaves the mod. like in the case of someone using a .30cal mod on a 6mm rifle.
    He also said that due to the fact the supersonic crack is directional that although it is loud that the sound dissipates quicker and it is not like the hot gasses coming back at a high rate from the muzzle in all directions.
    Which is obviously very bad.
    So in short the initial bang is worse but even with a mod it is never safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Any of ye know anything about shotgun mods. Namely 410 and 20gauge. Can you moderate an existing shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have hearing problems from years ago and an audiologist explained to me that it isn't a single bang that causes the problem.

The ear drum is like a drum and springs back into shape the continuous beating it gets from loud noise loosens it so that it is not as sensitive to noise particularly low noise like conversation.

So in short continuous loud noise weakens the ear drum. I'd say the only safe moderated shot is a 22lr and second any rim d ire round even with a moderated 223 if your shooting more than 1 shot wear hearing protection.

On an aside 30 years of marriage has the same affect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Any of ye know anything about shotgun mods. Namely 410 and 20gauge. Can you moderate an existing shotgun.

Yes can be done alright.BUT dont expect wonderful handling anymore,some of those converted shotguns swing like 20 ft scaffolding pipes. They are big ol contraptions in 12 GA.20 and 410 not so much but are usually just single shots based on bakial or some cheap Italian folding single shotgun design. Crowd in the UK do these
    http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Add on Shotgun Moderator

https://youtu.be/t6rJwooNsp0

Not the best source of info, but used it as a quick reference.

I came across this moderator in a gun shop in France last year. It's as big and bulky as it appears, but it does fit any single barrel multi choke shot gun. Around €400 if I can recall correctly.
    I'm not a fan of long barrels so this won't be for me, I even hate the 4 inches of extra length on my reflex rifle mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

juice1304 wrote: »
    Any sound above 90db is going to cause damage to your hearing permanently. Actually anything above 85 is going to start to damage it but 90 is defiantly a nono.
    Now the majority of mods will reduce the noise by between 20-32 DB the supersonic crack is 130 and the average db for a centerfire rifle is 156db.
    So in reality it is never really 100% safe, However in school last week we had a rep in from RWS who also dose research into sound mods and he is of the opinion that although it is not 100% safe that due to the initial pressure wave being reduced and the fact that the gas is contained in the mod and that it is slowed down that yes it is still damaging to hearing but to a much lesser extent.
    It also depends on the type of mod that is being used.
    Or another factor is blowby where the gas has enough space to go past the bullet as it leaves the mod. like in the case of someone using a .30cal mod on a 6mm rifle.
    He also said that due to the fact the supersonic crack is directional that although it is loud that the sound dissipates quicker and it is not like the hot gasses coming back at a high rate from the muzzle in all directions.
    Which is obviously very bad.
    So in short the initial bang is worse but even with a mod it is never safe.

Good thread.

I only use moderated rifles, and thought until now that I was protecting my hearing ok as a result. But after reading juice1304 and cavan shooter's comments above and other discussion of this subject elsewhere online I reckon I'll start using ear-plugs at all times when shooting from now on just to be sure. Many thanks to juice1304 and cavan shooter for their posts, and to the OP for raising this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Some interesting reading

"The chief argument used by lawmakers in relation to moderator regulation
    seems to rest with their potential misuse, as critical weapons components, by organised
    criminals and a belief that in some way or another uncontrolled access to them will lead to
    an increase in organised and/or petty crime rates.
    A comprehensive review of the pertinent literature points to the fact that this perception is
    largely ill-informed with little, if any, evidence pointing to a clear link between criminal
    activity and the use of sound moderators. The most complete and informed scientific
    enquiry to date (Clark, 2007: 44) on the criminal use of “firearms silencers” posits very
    clearly that the “data indicates that use of silenced firearms in crime is a rare occurrence,
    and is a minor problem.”
    Regardless of the evidence, lawmakers in some countries continue to perceive moderated
    firearms as more dangerous than ordinary non-moderated firearms"

https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/images/stories/committees/enrc/Invasive_Animals_on_Crown_land/10A._2016.07.19_Mr_Alvar_Dalton_attachment_1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Baikal do a hush power 12g. Can also get a mossberg 500 in .410 hushpower. No noise from it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If the gun is threaded for a choke these days you can get a silencer for it.
    ATec in the US make one,and I belive it is available in the UK/EU too.However,they are pretty expensive,[about $850]and I figure they will make handling on some guns feel like swinging a scaffolding pole.:eek:
    I belive the UK saddlery &gunroom,do or did an intergrally suppressed 12 ga O/U as well.So it is a do able project.

https://www.a-tec.no/silencers/shotgun

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement