Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beyond Good And Evil 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Great news, I loved the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks a lot like the character design from the leaked footage and the subsequent teaser trailer a few years back:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They'll have to bundle it with the HD reissue of the original game, it's been so long since the first game came out.
    It was incredible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Still is, still plays well, even if it does feel a little stiff/awkward at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Finished it on PC for the second time not too long ago, had forgotten how good it was. I was amazed at how quickly I finished the game though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Along with HL3 and DNF, this must rank highly in the list of vaporware everyone pines for. Beyond Good & Evil 2 has been teased for so long I don't believe it genuinely exists as an active project anywhere.

Also,if I'm being equally honest, from what little I've seen of BG&E2, including the above photo, I don't like the art style that much; its just a tad too "realistic" and I preferred the bold, colourful cartoon stylings from #1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, FFVII remake and now this it looks like reviving vapourware seems to be the new videogame fad:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-04-beyond-good-and-evil-2-is-almost-definitely-in-development-but

Really glad this is getting a sequel... because that cliffhanger ending I've been hearing about keeps putting me off playing the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Play the original.

One of the best Zelda-clones of the PS2 era.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Play the original.

One of the best Zelda-clones of the PS2 era.

I know, it's on my for shame list! I played about an hour or two of it and loved it, the setting and characters are excellent. I just got distracted.

• I missed it back in the day and played the HD version a couple of years ago. Maybe it was something in it's day but I really failed to see the reason for the hype and love for it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Played it back in the day played the HD... gonna wait another year now for more non news?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Great news. What an amazing game. Really is one of the best ps2 titles.
    I'm slightly worried for the sequel tho. From one of the concept art floating around in the news it looks like that pig is a
    young pey'j... Jade was such a great character and as mentioned above the cliffhanger ending so they better not be doing a prequel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well, might as well post this here seeing as it's the most recent BGE2 thread.

It's very impressive, but really it's no more than a tech demo at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Really glad this is getting a sequel... because that cliffhanger ending I've been hearing about keeps putting me off playing the original!

Isn't this a prequel though...?

Isn't this a prequel though...?

Probably since it looks like
    Pey'j is alive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Very long bump up for this old thread, Ubisoft released some gameplay yesterday. Call me cynical but I think they might be stretching what should be a smaller project out to a huge one. I don't see why they have taken this approach as its destined to end in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree, it looks like they're trying to make a massive open world game out of a fairly linear first one. And there was something in that trailer which annoyed me, and that was the main character grabbing the dual-sword ended staff by the blade!!! Graphics are far enough now to make the image believable, but it's these small things that make the most difference these days...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just looks like yet another Ubisoft Sandbox Game tbh, cynically cashing in on the goodwill and niche fame of the title; to be fair the first BG&E game had an openness that let you explore to a small extent, but it felt more akin to Zelda than the GTA-lite Ubisoft is just churning out. Still not a fan of the art-style either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think it looks Ok. Hard to believe we've been talking about this for 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So you play as a disenfranchised baton twirler? Bit of a change.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Call me cynical but I think they might be stretching what should be a smaller project out to a huge one.

Isn't that the ubisoft formula? 6 hours of game play stretched thin across an 80 hour o poo en world?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I can't see any fans of the original being too happy with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    o poo en world?

I see what you did there…

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rob2D wrote: »

You'd be right, for me anyway.

It just doesn't feel like a Beyond Good and Evil sequel. The swearing and the chav monkey going "bang bang motherfúckers!" in the trailer put me off so much.

Don't mind swearing in games but it just feels so out of place and forced when the first game had none at all from what I remember.

Also, they mentioned multiplayer so bleh to that as well.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just looks like yet another Ubisoft Sandbox Game tbh, cynically cashing in on the goodwill and niche fame of the title; to be fair the first BG&E game had an openness that let you explore to a small extent, but it felt more akin to Zelda than the GTA-lite Ubisoft is just churning out. Still not a fan of the art-style either.
    Rob2D wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone complaining when Breath of the Wild went open-world... :p

I'm interested in if they can pull a good game out of all this tech.
    No pre-order from me, but hopefully I can get into some of the betas.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone complaining when Breath of the Wild went open-world... :p

I'm interested in if they can pull a good game out of all this tech.
    No pre-order from me, but hopefully I can get into some of the betas.

I don't have a problem with open world games, I have a problem with Ubisoft 'open world' games, which are almost aggressively based on an identical template at this stage. Breath of the Wild was what happened when you took on a stale genre (maybe even franchise?) with a fresh perspective; Ubi-sandboxes are just the very definition of cookie cutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I loved the first when it came out. But this doesn't feel like a sequel.

Apparently they're hoping to have a demo out - by late 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The meh continues, for me at least. Don't know what others make of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You're not alone in the "meh" stakes.

Advertisement