Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There is some improvement moving up to the 80D but not sure if it would make a lot of difference.

450D compared to 80D

The main advances would be better noise handling and an increase in fps (4 to 7)

It has video if that's important to you.

The 80D is weather sealed.

12MP to 24MP sensor - meh

Slightly heavier body too.

Rather than the Mavic Pro why not look at a Phantom 3 Std which is a bit more solid and resilient. When learning to fly is when you are likely to have an incident. Learning to fly a P3S would be a lot less cash in the air and you may be able to pick one up from someone who has upgraded. That is what I have done and have just come back from doing my Remote Pilot Course where we flew Phantom 4's and had a quick fly of an Inspire too.

The P3S is capable of getting some great aerial shots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭purple_rose

I'm looking for a camera. I have a small compact camera which isn't the best. But I'm looking for a camera that will be good for taking pictures at concerts. Most concerts don't allow professional cameras so nothing too big or fancy.

Can anybody tell me what would i be looking for to take the best shots. All i know is cameras are expensive. My budget would be around 200€ which probably isn't the best but i would consider getting it from a Chinese online shop. I have had great experience with gearbest in the past but i know nothing about their cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Folks,

I'm looking into buying a compact system camera. I want to do a little more than point and shoot. But I also dislike bulky slrs.

So something like a Sony a5000 would suit with options to add different lenses.

So any recommendations that won't break the bank.

Budget of about €300.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Neames wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm looking into buying a compact system camera. I want to do a little more than point and shoot. But I also dislike bulky slrs.

Budget of about €300.

Yea, it's a good solid choice. I've had it 2 years now and only recently feel like I'd like to upgrade a bit. The only thing it's really missing for me is a shoe to put in an external flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Neames wrote: »
    Folks,

Budget of about €300.

A micro 4/3 camera might be a better bet as they have far more lense options than the sony and the lenses are more compact too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A micro 4/3 camera might be a better bet as they have far more lense options than the sony and the lenses are more compact too.

People in Ireland seem solely focused on price and not concerned with utility.

cnocbui wrote: »
    People in Ireland seem solely focused on price and not concerned with utility.

Many people also think big camera automatically= good quality photos. This may be the case with the right lens combo but your entry level dslr with the kit lense isn't going to be near as good as a micro 4/3 camera with a nice lens

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gosull

Hi,

So I've been thinking about getting a good camera for a while now, looking for a DSLR, Canon or Nikon prefably, open to suggestions though. Willing to spend around €800, maybe a littttle bit more if I have to. The main type of pictures I will be taking are stills of people, views, but also football matches of players who will be moving around etc. Not sure if there's any other information you need to know to help suggest, if there is though just ask!

Appreciate all help and recommendations! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

gosull wrote: »
    Hi,

So I've been thinking about getting a good camera for a while now, looking for a DSLR, Canon or Nikon prefably, open to suggestions though. Willing to spend around €800, maybe a littttle bit more if I have to. The main type of pictures I will be taking are stills of people, views, but also football matches of players who will be moving around etc. Not sure if there's any other information you need to know to help suggest, if there is though just ask!

The thing you should be looking at is which lenses will suit your needs and then a body to hang off the back of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Hi,

Consider having a look at PENTAX gear. You get a shed load for your money.
    As good as if not better than Canon/Nikon.... IMHO

I've been using Pentax gear for more than 25 years :)

• Advertisement

Consider having a look at PENTAX gear. You get a shed load for your money.
    As good as if not better than Canon/Nikon.... IMHO

I've been using Pentax gear for more than 25 years :)

Except they are not really. I mean they are good cameras and offer excellent value for money but bodies and lenses from canon and nikon are more refined products.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Except they are not really. I mean they are good cameras and offer excellent value for money but bodies and lenses from canon and nikon are more refined products.

I beg to differ. Check out some of Pentax DA* glass. Far superior to anything Canon or Nikon can do in the same price range.

I'm guessing you've never owned a Pentax camera..?:D

Thanks for the replies; but is there any specific models from Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc that can be recommended? I really haven't a clue what specs to look for or anything like that and I definitely wouldn't know what lenses I should be looking at for the kind of pictures I would be taking. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

been looking on adverts for a used dslr... have about 200 to spend as its my first camera should I expect much for 200 or what would you suggest?

I beg to differ. Check out some of Pentax DA* glass. Far superior to anything Canon or Nikon can do in the same price range.

I'm guessing you've never owned a Pentax camera..?:D

Tbh with you I have never owned a pentax but I did take a good look at them when I was buying a few years back. There is no doubt they are excellent value for money but from what I seen nikon and canon just do things better even if you have to spend more to get the same features.

Menus, layout, lens af motor technology etc are all from a different century on the canon and nikon compared to the pentax which relies on a very loud and slightly crude sounding built in af motor and screw drive af for many of it's lenses. Even it's lenses with built in motors aren't really that quiet when compared to nikon and canons offerings which are silent.

The only major advantage I see with pentax is it's weather sealing and its range of weather sealed lenses so if you shoot a lot in the rain it might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

Standard I'm looking to buy a new camera question. I have a budget of €1300 for the body, I've no problem with buying second hand. Will be used for portrait/landscape. Ive been looking at the Sony a7ii and the Canon 5D mark iii both second hand. Has anyone any recommendations or used either of these and have any info? I understand the Sony lenses are more expensive.

Nebaw wrote: »
    Standard I'm looking to buy a new camera question. I have a budget of €1300 for the body, I've no problem with buying second hand. Will be used for portrait/landscape. Ive been looking at the Sony a7ii and the Canon 5D mark iii both second hand. Has anyone any recommendations or used either of these and have any info? I understand the Sony lenses are more expensive.

Check which lenses suit your needs most and then choose a body to go with them. Sony's lens lineup is limited and their pro lenses are very expensive. Do you need a ff camera?

Thanks for the replies; but is there any specific models from Pentax, Canon, Nikon, etc that can be recommended? I really haven't a clue what specs to look for or anything like that and I definitely wouldn't know what lenses I should be looking at for the kind of pictures I would be taking. Thanks in advance!

You can look at a new or used body. Any of the entry level DSLR's will be fine.

For landscapes you will generally want a wide lens and a tripod. The general photography of friends and family is covered by a zoom lens. Unless you are looking at something specific then the Kit Lens will be fine here. They are most commonly 18-70mm. While not a fast lens it does most general stuff. It will work for the landscapes too at the wide end.
    When doing sport shots this is where more money is required as you often need a long and fast lens. To start out a telephoto zoom will be OK. Something like a 100-300mm would work OK.

I am wondering if you actually need a DSLR at all. There are some very versatile super zoom bridge cameras available No need to change lenses etc. These will be very suited to working in Auto but will have manual modes too.

Will you be be processing the images or planning on taking them straight from the camera? This will determine if RAW capture is an issue or not, but assuming you want images directly I would be looking at these cameras instead.

Thank you for all the responses, I appreciate it!

I know most have been saying just look at the right lens and then choose the body... but, I've been looking at the Canon EOS 760D; has anyone used this before or do you currently use it? If so, would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for all the responses, I appreciate it!

I know most have been saying just look at the right lens and then choose the body... but, I've been looking at the Canon EOS 760D; has anyone used this before or do you currently use it? If so, would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
    Check the lenses that suit your needs before spending money on a body. As for the 760d it's an ok camera it's not got a great sensor in comparison to it's nikon equivalent(nor does most canon's tbh). Id have a used d7100/d7200 before one, they are both far better cameras in almost everyway.

• Advertisement

It seems like a good entry level body. The review I looked at suggests that noise starts to become visible above ISO800 but the sample shots at ISO1600 still looked OK to me.

I have not had experience with this actual body, mine are in Nikon Pro range. Not aware of either Nikon or Canon having put out a poor body.

It seems the kit lens is often a Canon EF 24-105mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM which looks like a good all round piece of glass.

CabanSail wrote: »
    It seems like a good entry level body. The review I looked at suggests that noise starts to become visible above ISO800 but the sample shots at ISO1600 still looked OK to me.

I have not had experience with this actual body, mine are in Nikon Pro range. Not aware of either Nikon or Canon having put out a poor body.

It seems the kit lens is often a Canon EF 24-105mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS STM which looks like a good all round piece of glass.

They haven't really it's just canon's in house sensor lags behind nikons toshiba and sony sourced sensors in terms of noise, massively in terms of dynamic range and also in image quality.

Having looked at RAW images from both I do not see that difference. Then I am not really into pixel peeping.

Over the years Nikon & Canon have played leapfrog with the quality of their flagship products. Let's face it the specs on some of the entry level bodies now far exceed those of the pro bodies a decade ago. What is probably more important to me is the ergonomics of the body and things like robust build and weatherproofing.

Having good glass is more important than the body to sit on the back in most cases. The big thing that I have seen change over time is the improvement in PP capability.

The body I would like is one which does not pander to the perceived appearance of the image at the time of shooting. The file would be completely linear. Nothing done to the data once it was exposed, just stored. It would be assuming that the job of the camera is just capture and not a final product. This will not happen as the manufacturers want the cashed up punters who think that spending more on gear will improve their images and buy a pro body mainly for status and prestige.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

CabanSail wrote: »
    The body I would like is one which does not pander to the perceived appearance of the image at the time of shooting. The file would be completely linear. Nothing done to the data once it was exposed, just stored. It would be assuming that the job of the camera is just capture and not a final product.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-A-Pinhole-Camera/

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Check the lenses that suit your needs before spending money on a body. As for the 760d it's an ok camera it's not got a great sensor in comparison to it's nikon equivalent(nor does most canon's tbh). Id have a used d7100/d7200 before one, they are both far better cameras in almost everyway.

Thank you I'll take a look at those two and I'll try learn a bit more about what lenses would suit me.

One more thing; Is there much difference between the D7100 and the D7200 apart from the latter being a bit more expensive? :p

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thank you I'll take a look at those two and I'll try learn a bit more about what lenses would suit me.

One more thing; Is there much difference between the D7100 and the D7200 apart from the latter being a bit more expensive? :p

Thanks again!

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/photography-video-capture/cameras/nikon-d7200-vs-d7100-8-key-differences-you-need-to-know-1320825

Thanks again!

The d7200 has an improved sensor and doesn't suffer from any banding issues like the d7100 did when processing some raw files. The rest of the differences aren't really major, if I got a good deal on a d7100 I wouldn't hesitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thanks again!

Hey, I have owned both and for a good while they were my two main bodies. D7100 was a great second body but I just know I reached for the D7200 every time. Now that may be psychological (why reach for the older body) but I do feel it handled low light better. The images that came out in low light conditions were just cleaner.

Also, (and this may have been down to the lens I usually had on each body but...) I felt the D7200 was just that fraction faster on the autofocus.

Only other things you might notice would be the difference in dynamic range and faster buffer. Oh and wireless if you need it... I never use it.

So, basically... if this is a walkabout camera, just for fun/family/holidays then go for the for the D7100 (actually I'd be recommending go Fuji for that but I digress) but if you want to squeeze every stop out of your system for low light or need that extra uumpf for autofocus, then go for the D7200.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Hey,

Unfortunately my Canon 1200D, kit lens and nifty fifty were all robbed recently (long story)

I want to push on with a better body/lens combo as began to feel limited by 1200d. Any suggestions? Canon body would be preference and a wide enough lens (preferably with IS for video) for around 750 max? (student life, can't justify higher for a hobby)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

I want to push on with a better body/lens combo as began to feel limited by 1200d.

What was the limits you found with the 1200D?

It is often the Kit Lens which becomes limiting rather than the body.

Advertisement