Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭morritty

I'm heading in March, Picked up a canon 1300D off eBay for 300 a few months ago, thinking of getting a 10-18mm, can anyone recommend that lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Me!

It's not one that I use very often (and mostly for urban rather than rural landscapes), but when I do it gives great results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

@Signpost Did you get the 5D yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Big progressions since! Got the 5D, went out and bought a new 18-105 lense but had a ring around all the pictures so asked your man could I try it on his. Put it onto a 60D he had and took pictures perfect so not sure whats wrong with the 5D as all the other lenses are fine. At the heel of the hunt your man ended up giving me the 60D too as I'd already bought the lense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Signpost wrote: »
    Big progressions since! Got the 5D, went out and bought a new 18-105 lense but had a ring around all the pictures so asked your man could I try it on his. Put it onto a 60D he had and took pictures perfect so not sure whats wrong with the 5D as all the other lenses are fine. At the heel of the hunt your man ended up giving me the 60D too as I'd already bought the lense!

If the lens is OK on as aps-c body and your get a ring on the full frame, the lens is probably for an aps-c body

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

It's an EF-S so that's almost certainly what it is.

Pity I didnt know that before buying, lesson learned I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Pity I didnt know that before buying, lesson learned I guess!
    You will never get the full potential out of the 5d with a do it all lens anyway.

I'm going making the plunge for a flash & am thinking of this https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-speedlite-600ex-ii-rt-flashes-speedlites-and-speedlights.html
    Just wondering will it work with the 5D Mark II & the 60D?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

I'm going making the plunge for a flash & am thinking of this https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-speedlite-600ex-ii-rt-flashes-speedlites-and-speedlights.html
    Just wondering will it work with the 5D Mark II & the 60D?

There are lots of generic flash makers too. Sigma make excellent flashes and you trade off in lost features is really small (unless you're a high end user)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-EF-610-Super-Electronic-Cameras/dp/B00472OBDE

Lots of other makes then at the less than €100 level but I've less experience of those.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01GCMTOS8/ref=pd_aw_sbs_421_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SH4H7MYXBV2D3XDB9S49&dpPl=1&dpID=61CclYUkO4L

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I am looking to buy a used DSLR camera to dip my toes in to photography. I can spend around €250.
    At this price point, you can get an entry level camera that's maybe 3 to 6 years old (a Nikon D3200 for example). Or something older that was maybe a lot more advanced at the time it came out (like a D80 maybe).
    I am limiting myself to Nikon based on advice from others and familiarity for someone who is going to teach me how to use it!

What would be the better option for a beginner?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well there's loads of great cameras out there at that price. A bit old but perfect for getting started.
    If you could afford a little more I'd look at the d300 or d90 even
    Have a look here
    http://www.camerajungle.co.uk/cameras/digital-slr-cameras/nikon
    also be mindful of the shutter count..some of them have very high shutter counts which is a risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm heading to new Zealand on the trip of a lifetime in less than four months now. I don't want to have to rely on a phone to take pictures. Budget is about €300. Will be mostly scenery pics with some rugby games thrown in. Ideally something that I can upload from on the go. Will have a chromebook with me. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

athtrasna wrote: »
    I'm heading to new Zealand on the trip of a lifetime in less than four months now. I don't want to have to rely on a phone to take pictures. Budget is about €300. Will be mostly scenery pics with some rugby games thrown in. Ideally something that I can upload from on the go. Will have a chromebook with me. Any suggestions?

Presume you mean something compact, very good image quality, HD video capable, wifi enabled, built in flash?

Canon G16 would be a strong contender. I have some very nice Nikon DSLR gear which I use mostly when at home but the little G16 is always my first choice for travels and holidays.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-cameras/powershot-g16

If you look around you'll find one for around your budget in great condition. There's one on adverts now in Stillorgan with an asking price of 300 (just looked to see if any listed). Nothing to do with me but might be accessible enough for you to have a look.

http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-g16/12062186

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

+1 for the D300 if you are serious. It has the "Pro" layout and you don't waste space with all the entry level rubbish like scene modes etc. You just get the PASM.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The lens is more important than the body for the quality of the photos you'll get out of it. pretty much all the bodies at that range are more or less the same. Get a decent lens if you want good pictures - find a 2nd hand 50mm f1.8 prime lens - best value lens you can get.

CabanSail wrote: »
    +1 for the D300 if you are serious. It has the "Pro" layout and you don't waste space with all the entry level rubbish like scene modes etc. You just get the PASM.

The d300 is very long in the tooth though. The pq won't be as good as an entry level camera from years later although it's feature and build will still be better.

Zascar wrote: »
    The lens is more important than the body for the quality of the photos you'll get out of it. pretty much all the bodies at that range are more or less the same. Get a decent lens if you want good pictures - find a 2nd hand 50mm f1.8 prime lens - best value lens you can get.

This^^ although for an aps-c body the 35mm f1.8dx would suit better for everyday photography compared to the 50mm

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gosull

I already made a thread about this but got no reply unfortunately, so I'm going to try my luck here (not trying to spam just need help with this quick :D) .

Basically looking for an xxxxxxxxxx. Having trouble finding this online and in shops. I have seen it in a few places online but it was €550 and more, trying to get one for around the €450 mark max.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: This has been sorted, thank you very much. Removed name of camera as I don't want a certain someone seeing this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 paddymcg

Hey folks am looking for some advice. Want to buy a dslr. Was looking at a eos100d or a nikon 3400 with the lens kit. I know the nikon has more megapixels but which would be the better option, price of future lenses etc. Am a beginner or would I be better waiting and saving for a 750d.
    Can get a 100d with 2 lenses in argos
    18-55 and 75-300

Or nikon 3300 with 18-55 and 70-300 at 725 euro.
    Would these lenses do for a while
    Any advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

paddymcg wrote: »
    Hey folks am looking for some advice. Want to buy a dslr. Was looking at a eos100d or a nikon 3400 with the lens kit. I know the nikon has more megapixels but which would be the better option, price of future lenses etc. Am a beginner or would I be better waiting and saving for a 750d.
    18-55 and 75-300

Any advice welcome.

have you conciderd buying second hand?
    For 200 / 300 euro you can get a a decent entry level camera.
    Start off with a kit lens till you feel you know what other lenses you want to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

gosull wrote: »
    EDIT: This has been sorted, thank you very much. Removed name of camera as I don't want a certain someone seeing this :D

I think the post following yours might give the game away somehow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

18-55 and 75-300

Any advice welcome.

Forget the amount of 'megapixels'. More isn't necessarily better. It's all to do with the size of the CCD (sensor).

A bigger sensor, with less megapixels, will always give a better result than a smaller sensor with more megapixels. ;)

18-55 and 75-300

Any advice welcome.

Either would be fine for starting out, best thing to do is have a look in a camera shop and get a feel for them, the 100d is very small, some people like that others would prefer a bigger camera. I looked at both models in the end I went for an unused Nikon d5300. I was also considering Pentax but the price went up. Then there is mirror less camera and the MFT's cameras. In fairness it's hard to get a bad camera these days. What type of photography do you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paddymcg

A bit of everything. Mainly outdoor landscape and wildlife. Have a chance to get a Panasonic dmc-fz1000 at a good price new. It's a bridge camera with a 1 inch sensor. 16 optical zoom. Would mean I wouldnt need to buy any lenses for it. But dunno if it would be as good as a beginner dslr. It's suppose to be very good.

Based on that, it sounds like a DSLR would be the better option, you would ideally use a wide angle lens for landscape, and you could go either a zoom ( 200 - 500) or a long prime 500mm or 600 mm for wildlife. But it all depends on costs and how serious you intend getting, the Panasonic dmc-fz1000 might suite your needs fine. I think the zoom on that goes to 400mm equivalent and it does 4k video.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

A bit of everything. Mainly outdoor landscape and wildlife. Have a chance to get a Panasonic dmc-fz1000 at a good price new. It's a bridge camera with a 1 inch sensor. 16 optical zoom. Would mean I wouldnt need to buy any lenses for it. But dunno if it would be as good as a beginner dslr. It's suppose to be very good.

That is a 'VERY GOOD' bridge camera. If you can get a good price on it, have their arm off..!!

P.S. If you don't buy it, pass on the info. I'll buy it myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    Quick question,currently saving up for new camera will have hopefully around 1400-1600 to spend,would prefer canon as that's what I currently have.
    No need for full frame. I currently have a 50d and a canon M3 (mirrorless)
    So just looking for a good upgrade on the 50d ...it will probably be another few months before I am able to upgrade..
    One thing I need on it would be the LCD display on top..open to suggestions.
    Thanks

Advertisement