Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Testing of Vintage and Classic Vehicles

• 19-06-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭

According to the July issue of Irish Vintage Scene

"Minister Shane Ross has said in the Dail that from 2020, all vehicles over forty years of age will be exempt from roadworthiness testing, while vehicles between thirty and forty years of age will only have to be tested every two years."

Sorry no link I just read it in the magazine which arrived today.

By the way it's a great issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Shane Ross will be long gone by then, someone else will want something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

PanhardPL wrote: »

Thanks for that link.
    I searched high and low but failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

aujopimur wrote: »
    Shane Ross will be long gone by then, someone else will want something different.

True but the RSA won't be. It's their recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It seems ok to me, the people have spoken:)
    I'm glad they have the commercial thing sorted for once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

just so i've read that right, a June 1980 500SL will be NCT exempt in 2020? Under the current system it would never be exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

If my reading is right, 1978 & 1979 cars are now due to be tested also.?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/86958/420426.jpg

Having contacted Michael Healy Rae T.D. re the matter, he offered to put down a Dail Question, when others ignored requests in the past.

The wording of the Ministers reply is pretty clear that all vehicles pre 1980 would be exempt from testing from 2020 and that amending regulations to include Commercial Vehicles would be introduced to cover the interim period, so I don't think that anyone need worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

mattroche wrote: »

Yes, but only every two years, and only until 2020, when they join the 40-year exemption.

This would probably amount to one test for most of those vehicles, but we are mid-2017 now and these proposals are still just that - proposals, so who knows when they might become law.

• Advertisement

just so i've read that right, a June 1980 500SL will be NCT exempt in 2020? Under the current system it would never be exempt?
    That's correct how I read it.

mattroche wrote: »
    No, it should continue as before plus '78 '79 commercials will be exempt also subject to amended regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Great news, as I read it my 30 yr old camper, classed as commercial for cvrt wil only need testing every two years once the regulations are amended until it is 40

duplicate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This, if implemented, could eventually save a few 80's cars from the scrapper. It'll be 4 years before the first wave of previously exempt cars drop out of the NCT but it's progress.

From 2016
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2016011300128#WRRRR02500

931. Deputy Brendan Griffin Information on Brendan Griffin Zoom on Brendan Griffin asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Information on Paschal Donohoe Zoom on Paschal Donohoe the status of a review of the national car test policy for vintage cars and trucks; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1095/16]

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport (Deputy Paschal Donohoe): Information on Paschal Donohoe Zoom on Paschal Donohoe ​Given the competing road safety priorities which my Department has had to deal with, my officials could only turn their attention to the RSA's review of the arrangements in relation to the roadworthiness testing of vintage vehicles in the latter part of 2015.

The RSA's review has now been examined by my officials and recommendations have been submitted to me for my consideration. I intend to come to a decision on this issue in the coming weeks.

I appreciate the value of the vintage and veteran vehicle movement and have reiterated on a number of occasions that none of the recommendations contained in the RSA's review would involve those who currently enjoy an exemption from compulsory testing, that is, those owners of cars and motor caravans first registered prior to 1 January 1980 and used for social and domestic purposes, being brought within the compulsory roadworthiness testing regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

There should be a one off test for all to qualify for 'vintage' status. This might give some regulation against bodged wrecks, ringers and elephants.

That's what they do in the Isle of Man

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

I guess those new proposals are a start and at least there will be a 'rolling' threshold, but it still leaves any vehicle older than 40 years scott-free to be messed about with or to be absolute unsafe basket cases on the road.

Since there is absolutely no checkpoint, the ringers will still have free reign.

Having the bi-annul test is good, as that's what some other EU countries have as well, but I still believe that there should be some form of "check" for cars between 40 and 50 years old. 

It may be a clever idea to expand the type of 'roadworthyness' checks that the NCT do on cars that are being imported to be extended to ALL cars between pre-1980 (and later when the new proposals are adapted on cars between 40 and 50 years) and have it bi-annually, same as between 30 and 40 years. Those would be rudimentary checks to ensure the car is not a total wreck and that the numbers/registration etc check out. Of course there would be a small additional charge for this type of test to the owner, but in my view this would outweigh the amount of messing that is going on now, and contribute to safety on the road.

Advertisement