Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gasworks site.

• 15-12-2016 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Passed here earlier,saw a bit of work going on. Is the new carpark finally going ahead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Unbelievable that this site has remained vacant for 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

iseegirls wrote: »

Don't forget the flour mills!!!

Par for the course in this region!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Common across all of Ireland, cork has derelict sites down by its docks for decades too.Dublin O'Connell street old cinema site which had been demolished and empty for as long as can remember.all of these sites have issues which stalled anything happening, ownership issues, semi states pulling out of what they promised economics, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

iseegirls wrote: »

Ah no. It is par for the course for sites with contaminated ground, and as has been said, other issues. It is nothing particular to the region. Would you buy land to build a house on that engineers have told you that the ground is contaminated or has legal issues associated with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Looks very close to opening. All the markings done, signs and pay machines installed. Same price as Millers Marsh. €1 per hour. Minimum 50c (half hour) and €3.60 for the day.

KgZioM2.jpg

JohnC. wrote: »
    Looks very close to opening. All the markings done, signs and pay machines installed. Same price as Millers Marsh. €1 per hour. Minimum 50c (half hour) and €3.60 for the day.

KgZioM2.jpg

Nice one John, was wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Deiseen

KgZioM2.jpg

€3.60 a day is unbelievable value. Surely this place will be full every day! I wonder what people will complain about now instead of parking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd complain about how there are three large carparks almost side by side Millers Marsh, Gasworks, Bolton Street.
    I know the Gasworks site is a particular challenge due to the horrors of town gas pollution but something more imaginative should have been possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

I'd complain about how there are three large carparks almost side by side Millers Marsh, Gasworks, Bolton Street.
    I know the Gasworks site is a particular challenge due to the horrors of town gas pollution but something more imaginative should have been possible.

Site was for sale for years with no takers.

• Advertisement

Wasn't thinking of private enterprise - something owned by and for the city was what I had in mind. Vaguely.

Wasn't thinking of private enterprise - something owned by and for the city was what I had in mind. Vaguely.

Like........?

I noticed posters up for Daytripper, which is being held in there this year. Probably hold a fair bit more than Bolton Street?

I noticed posters up for Daytripper, which is being held in there this year. Probably hold a fair bit more than Bolton Street?

They could nearly have an adjacent three stage festival - Bolton Street, Gasworks, Millers Marsh! Obviously the latter would be for a tall thin group.

Any idea when car park open.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Jesus lads, if they would build something on that site you would complain about lack of parking spaces...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Max Powers wrote: »
    Any idea when car park open.

Opened today

20108597_10154909941054423_6192171249858575268_n.jpg?oh=9d60d377e2178aeda649678a26d5702f&oe=5A07DD0F

20155670_10154909946689423_4281843334460060798_n.jpg?oh=e8b5c5a2889ebc2ad460d833a268fa4c&oe=59FC4250

20228327_10154909946694423_517235748907340376_n.jpg?oh=b05ed0b032d3b55cca086d522695845e&oe=5A0924E2

20140171_10154909946864423_1537809982509561933_n.jpg?oh=f04f8576cb93894ccd033145fd342b96&oe=5A02B388

20228364_10154909946869423_8155655098397368719_n.jpg?oh=173a3cf9c459c53df458ba3c99b469ee&oe=5A0D0C83

20155801_10154909946874423_6397791085757290956_n.jpg?oh=abf17ad3d814376b8384c6e00aa4ba7c&oe=59F6167A

It’s amazing how some new tarmac has tidied the whole area up.

BBM77 wrote: »
    It’s amazing how some new tarmac has tidied the whole area up.

+ the clean up and excavation of the polluted soil, flood protection and 2 bridges

+ the clean up and excavation of the polluted soil, flood protection and 2 bridges

Jees pedantic or what! I know there was more to it.

• Advertisement

Okay someone tell me why parking starts at 8.30 am in Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's free outside the hours on the sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Free after 18:30 on Friday is great, everywhere else is charged until 21:00. I have to say I thought paid parking started at 9:00am, that will tell you how long it is since I left my car in town!

How can you get here from the bridge if you avoid the quay? Can you drive down the Apple market? Or do you have to come down Bunkers hill and drive in the Mall? I've looked at the map, but I'm still not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Free after 18:30 on Friday is great, everywhere else is charged until 21:00. I have to say I thought paid parking started at 9:00am, that will tell you how long it is since I left my car in town!

How can you get here from the bridge if you avoid the quay? Can you drive down the Apple market? Or do you have to come down Bunkers hill and drive in the Mall? I've looked at the map, but I'm still not sure.

Go up bridge street across the glen onto ballybricken over to mayors walk down newgate street across to castle street left on the manor right down johns street and left and the car park is on your right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ah, Castle street is still two way, brilliant.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Jees pedantic or what! I know there was more to it.

Sorry bbm, didn't mean to be, there are morons out there who think that's all involved though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ye get an extra 30 mins free if you speak Irish :D

I pass it most days, but only noticed a couple of days ago that they may have done a whoopsie. Anyone else spot what's wrong here?

0yK6NPQ.jpg
    Try swinging that flood gate closed with that railing there

I hope that gate slides, maybe they realise it and just said, in flood, we'll have to bring spanner for barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

slide id imagine, hard to tell from picture

I pass it most days, but only noticed a couple of days ago that they may have done a whoopsie. Anyone else spot what's wrong here?

[IMG]http ://i.imgur.com/0yK6NPQ.jpg[/IMG]
    Try swinging that flood gate closed with that railing there

It will be a sliding gate when finished I expect ..... but what consideration was given to full access on that bridge ....... steps?

It will be a sliding gate when finished I expect ..... but what consideration was given to full access on that bridge ....... steps?

Is there wheelchair access on vehicle exit side, probably is John street side too,.agree its not ideal but changing a bridge like that to wheelchair accessible might have been very difficult/too costly.I don't know, its a small bridge with very little room to ramp down on street side, 1:12 is the rate I think, if its half metre to crest, unlikely to have 6m to play with, could put a brand new flat bridge there but I think most that would cause complaint too.

Is there wheelchair access on vehicle exit side, probably is John street side too,.agree its not ideal but changing a bridge like that to wheelchair accessible might have been very difficult/too costly.I don't know, its a small bridge with very little room to ramp down on street side, 1:12 is the rate I think, if its half metre to crest, unlikely to have 6m to play with, could put a brand new flat bridge there but I think most that would cause complaint too.

It could have been accommodated if it was decided to do so. ;)

I am disappointed it was not.

The gate doesn't slide. There's great big hinges on it, on the other end.

The gate doesn't slide. There's great big hinges on it, on the other end.

I cannot imagine using the locking mechanisms on the left of the gate as pictured, if the gate is hinged, as when the gate is closed they would be then on the bridge side and inaccessible.

• Advertisement

It could have been accommodated if it was decided to do so. ;)

I am disappointed it was not.

With the old bridge, how?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Whilst new parking facilities in the city are a good thing (as they will bring business and shoppers in) surface car parks in the heart of a city do depress me - why not a muli-story car park and develop the rest of the site for high quality mixed tenure housing?

Surface car parks were all over inner city Dublin in the 1980s and it was seen as a sign of how derelict and run down the city had become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Whilst new parking facilities in the city are a good thing (as they will bring business and shoppers in) surface car parks in the heart of a city do depress me - why not a muli-story car park and develop the rest of the site for high quality mixed tenure housing?

Surface car parks were all over inner city Dublin in the 1980s and it was seen as a sign of how derelict and run down the city had become.

The car parks on the Quay are just a pure waste. How do we allow defilement of such an impressive waterfront?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The car parks on the Quay are just a pure waste. How do we allow defilement of such an impressive waterfront?

Because the people who own them are coining it and have no intention of giving them up.

Where does that money magically appear from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Where does that money magically appear from?

Our pampered local TDs bloated wages and expenses budget? Just a thought. The majority of councillers in Waterford are just cruising for the pension, I know this from bitter experience, 2 of them in particular they love the perks, the free meals and the wages but they have absolutely no interest in Waterford and the people of Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Our pampered local TDs bloated wages and expenses budget? Just a thought. The majority of councillers in Waterford are just cruising for the pension, I know this from bitter experience, 2 of them in particular they love the perks, the free meals and the wages but they have absolutely no interest in Waterford and the people of Waterford.

Just two ?

A few councillors/tds wages/expenses does not get anywhere near building this pie in the sky stuff mentioned.a bit of realism here lads wouldn't go astray.

A few councillors/tds wages/expenses does not get anywhere near building this pie in the sky stuff mentioned.a bit of realism here lads wouldn't go astray.

Realism! On here!?! You need to get realistic max boy!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

TBH I wouldn't consider a simple multi-storey car park with apartments in a regional city in a wealthy country in the year 2017 to be "pie in the sky."

Or are expectations for Waterford really that low? :(

TBH I wouldn't consider a simple multi-storey car park with apartments in a regional city in a wealthy country in the year 2017 to be "pie in the sky."

No, but totally unrealistic comments on public money appearing for such ventures is pie in the sky.

It is when you are expecting the council to build it. If the council went ahead and started spending millions on ventures like this then they could end up bankrupt within months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Deiseen wrote: »
    It is when you are expecting the council to build it. If the council went ahead and started spending millions on ventures like this then they could end up bankrupt within months.

How about we form a bank, lend the money to the council, let them default and wait for the bailout? Everyone's a winner!

Oh yes, I nearly forgot to mention - nobody goes to jail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No, but totally unrealistic comments on public money appearing for such ventures is pie in the sky.

But a cut in their wages WOULD free up a significant amount of money surely you can see that?

Would it be significant?

• Advertisement
Advertisement