Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance 25% cheaper by pushing dates back a week

Options
  • 14-06-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I noticed on 123.ie that my car insurance quote got more and more expensive the closer it got to the renewal date so I simply pushed the start date back by 1 week and my quote dropped from 820 euro to 600 euro... couldn't believe it!

Remember, the quotes they give are only valid for 1 day so if you get a good price today It might not be there tomorrow. Unless you push the dates back further :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

if my insurance is up on June 30th are you saying put down its due on July 7th or June 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Geezy

if my insurance is up on June 30th are you saying put down its due on July 7th or June 23rd

Yep mines up on 16th so I put it back to 23rd June i.e. won't be using my car for a week. Interested to see if it works for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Could be due to the loading of existing customers that goes on, by pushing it back a week the system saw you as a new customer. Just a guess mind but anything to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

Confirmed this worked for me 9 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I asked about doing this before for the same reason and the girl told me that it's illegal to be insured by two companies at once and would nullify both policies so neither would apply if I had a claim.
    I'm not sure if that's true but I took her at her word at the time. I'd certainly check it up just in case before doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I asked about doing this before for the same reason and the girl told me that it's illegal to be insured by two companies at once and would nullify both policies so neither would apply if I had a claim.
    I'm not sure if that's true but I took her at her word at the time. I'd certainly check it up just in case before doing this.

It's actually not. I can't remember what the clause is called, something indemnity, but they would each only pay 50% of a claim.

I asked about doing this before for the same reason and the girl told me that it's illegal to be insured by two companies at once and would nullify both policies so neither would apply if I had a claim. I'm not sure if that's true but I took her at her word at the time. I'd certainly check it up just in case before doing this.

In my case I'll have no insurance for a week but luckily I won't be needing my car.

It seems like the closer your are to the date you need to be insured the higher it is.

What a difference a week makes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You can insure any asset you have a interest in as many times as you want, including your own life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Geezy wrote: »
    Yep mines up on 16th so I put it back to 23rd June i.e. won't be using my car for a week. Interested to see if it works for anyone else.

That's weird, I thought they would kick in some kind of resetting the bonus or something if you let it lapse at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Good to know, thanks...and interesting! I was told that it would be seen as an attempt to defraud so be illegal and nullify the policy. I just googled and it seems call staff in these centre often tell you it's illegal.

• Advertisement

Should have clarified that my insurance was up for renewal with Allianz. I'll be switching to 123... not the best wording on my part!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In my case I'll have no insurance for a week but luckily I won't be needing my car.

And what happens if someone steals your car from outside your front door during that week? Or decides to vandalise it? Just because you won't be physically on the road doesn't mean that your car doesn't need insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 missvicky

My insurance is up the 29th of June, after getting quotes for between €900-
    ,€1500 I went to 123.ie and got a quote for €500.Bought it there and then. Policy won't kick in until midnight on the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

bluewolf wrote:
    That's weird, I thought they would kick in some kind of resetting the bonus or something if you let it lapse at all

You have a year or 2 before your NCB is nullified. Think it's 2 but definitely not a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

True but you are only covered to the amount you insured for. If you have a 20k policy with 2 insurers, you don't get 40k, instead they both only pay out a max of 10k each.

One of the principles of insurance is that you are put back in a position no greater than you were at the time of loss. Like insuring a 2k banger for 20k doesn't get you 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I bought a policy with 123 recently and got the start date wrong on my original quote, when I went to fix it the price went up by 10%. So I just rolled it back 4 days.

I used to work in RSA on some of their online quotation websites and we'd just take the details you input and send them off to a third party rating engine that would come back with this magical premium. Fúck knows how it's spitting out figures if something as simple as starting on June 20th or 24th can have a 10% premium difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Stiofain2006

[True but you are only covered to the amount you insured for. If you have a 20k policy with 2 insurers, you don't get 40k, instead they both only pay out a max of 10k each.

One of the principles of insurance is that you are put back in a position no greater than you were at the time of loss. Like insuring a 2k banger for 20k doesn't get you 20k.]

But how does each ins co know you have a 2nd policy? I ve been paying for 2 life policies for donkeys years. When I realised a couple of years back I thought to myself that I would just leave them both in place as it would mean more money for the FAM if I go under (of course I haven't told the Mrs just in case she gets any smart ideas :)). Given that I had paid a load of premium I didn't want to walk away from one of the policies and lose all the benefit I had received up to that date. This post males me think I should cancel. Any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

[True but you are only covered to the amount you insured for. If you have a 20k policy with 2 insurers, you don't get 40k, instead they both only pay out a max of 10k each.

One of the principles of insurance is that you are put back in a position no greater than you were at the time of loss. Like insuring a 2k banger for 20k doesn't get you 20k.]

But how does each ins co know you have a 2nd policy? I ve been paying for 2 life policies for donkeys years. When I realised a couple of years back I thought to myself that I would just leave them both in place as it would mean more money for the FAM if I go under (of course I haven't told the Mrs just in case she gets any smart ideas :)). Given that I had paid a load of premium I didn't want to walk away from one of the policies and lose all the benefit I had received up to that date. This post males me think I should cancel. Any advice!

You should talk to both insurance companies

https://lion.ie/life-insurance/multiple-life-insurance-policies/

I would expect though it would be cheaper to have one large policy than two smaller ones simply because of the paperwork etc., but who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The life policies are different. They are assurance not insurance. Death is inevitable. However it may or may not happen during the the time of your policy. You can have 10 policies if you wish and all would fully pay out if pass away while they are covering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭larchielads

Should have clarified that my insurance was up for renewal with Allianz. I'll be switching to 123... not the best wording on my part!

Am I missing somethin? I don't get it. How does the other insurance company know when your insurance is up? Sure all your doing is putting dates?

Do u fill out one quote for say the 1st of June say quote is 1000euro.
    Then go back in change the date for the 8th and all of a sudden it's 750 euro, 250 quid cheaper?????

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Am I missing somethin? I don't get it. How does the other insurance company know when your insurance is up? Sure all your doing is putting dates?

They ask your renewal date.

To be honest I thinks it's just a case of the earlier you do it the better. All started when i got a quote of 690 2 weeks ago and then when i went to buy it went to 740... so I said I'd check in a day or two but it just kept going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

The closer you are to your renewal date the more expensive the policy will be. Simply, this is because it's felt the customer doesn't have time to shop around. This is why when you roll it back a week it's cheaper. Really you should just get a quote exactly one month before your policy lapses and purchase the cheapest right away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Pique wrote: »
    You have a year or 2 before your NCB is nullified. Think it's 2 but definitely not a matter of weeks.

Yeah, 2 years is correct.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Worked the same but different for me. Quoted 730 for my renewal date. Move that date further and nearer and the best I could find was 603 if I got my insurance a week earlier. They're not my best quote, but very interesting

I'm not sure.....
    My wife's policy was due for renewal today.
    I forgot to renew it until this morning.
    Original renewal was €376 full comp with Aviva directly.

Just off the phone and renewed policy.
    Paid €280 full comp for the same policy. Couldn't believe it to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lads, I think there is no bargain alert in this thread. As with all insurance, shopping around gets everyone different deals

TheDriver wrote: »
    Lads, I think there is no bargain alert in this thread. As with all insurance, shopping around gets everyone different deals

True, not really a bargain alert per say. Point I was trying to highlight was that a week difference in dates reduced my insurance by over 25%. Not necessarily shopping around.

Please feel free to move this to a more appropriate category.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭ForestFire

When you "push" you insurance date out by two weeks are you:-

Pushing the date where they ask for your renewal date (Because this is incorrect)?
    Are you telling them that you will have a break in insurance cover?

One of there "assumptions" that you agree to (In most cases) is that you do not have breaks in your insurance cover?

Have you explicitly told the new insurer about this 1 week break and still got the same quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

That's s flat out lie!! The payout would be weighted but it most certainly is not illegal.

Advertisement