Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Playoffs 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think most people who see LeBron's personality at face value (without all the ESPN, LeBron owned BlreacherReport.....) see him as a complete clown.

The "I've never played for a super team" just epitomizes LeBron's personality; arrogant, narcissistic, not-self aware, and he knows nobody will question him on it because if they do he'll throw a tantrum.

Its not like these are one of statements every now and again, its all the time and he loves the attention and the praise. Just earlier this week he said Tom Brady is not the GOAT because he doesn't play defense (which is a stupid argument) but it was such a back handed compliment to the argument that he is the GOAT. Any other half-humble athlete would just have said Brady is in the discussion of GOAT but i'll let others decide but LeBron is too arrogant for that.

How people don't see who LeBron really is, is bizarre to me. Look, I'm not saying LeBron is a bad guy or anything, he's just the last person in the world I'd go have a beer with because i know if i did, I'd have to spend the evening telling LeBron how awesome he is or I'll be picking up the tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Hazys wrote: »
    I think most people who see LeBron's personality at face value (without all the ESPN, LeBron owned BlreacherReport....) see him as a complete clown.

The "I've never played for a super team" just epitomizes LeBron's personality; arrogant, not-self aware, and he knows nobody will question him on it because if they do he'll throw a tantrum.

Earlier this week he said Tom Brady is not the GOAT because he doesn't play defense (which is a stupid argument)but it was such a back handed compliment to the argument that he is the GOAT. Any other half-humble athlete would just have said Brady is in the discussion of GOAT but i'll let others decide but LeBron is too arrogant for that.

How people don't see who LeBron really is, is bizarre to me. Look, I'm not saying LeBron is a bad guy or anything, he's just the last person in the world I'd go have a beer with because i know if i did, I'd have to spend the evening telling LeBron how awesome he is or I'll be picking up the tab.

It is , becuase the real reason he isn't the GOAT is because American Football is only properly played in one country which only makes up about 4.5% of the worlds population and therefore he can't possibly be considered for being the greatest sports person of all because of the localised nature of American football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It is , becuase the real reason he isn't the GOAT is because American Football is only properly played in one country which only makes up about 4.5% of the worlds population and therefore he can't possibly be considered for being the greatest sports person of all because of the localised nature of American football.

I think you are missing the point of my post, I'm not arguing for Tom Brady as GOAT there (i could go for hours on that lol). But seriously comparing the GOAT across sports is stupid, also its such american thing, do people outside the US even use the term GOAT?

Anyway, just your average team built through the draft:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,142 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/874634268240203776

All that really matters about LeBron tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Interesting watching First Take today. Talk of what's​ next for Cleveland? What's​ next for Lebron? I agree James will probably leave in 2018, but what about next season? I don't think the trade, Love for George is a good long term more for Cleveland. Yes it would make them better for a year but there's nothing stopping both James and George walking in 2018 and then Cleveland are screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

For me Lebron is one of the top 10, possiblly top 5 NBA players of all time. Number 1 belongs to Jordan. It's stupid to compare players/athletes from different spots on greatness. Jordan, Brady, Mayweather, Bolt, Phelps all undoubtedly great at their sport but you can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sam_Doyle

Totally agree that Jordan is still number one. Amazing game last night for LeBron and Durant but when I'm thinking of Jordan that was something different. The way how he used to play, unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Who'da thunk before the season started that a 73 win team, who added a former MVP in his prime, would have won the championship? This is entertaining for some of you?

Sounds like the league has found their money maker - put all the hyped players on two teams and have them play each other.

One wonders if they should just show Golden State/Cleveland playing each other all season and cancel the rest of the league.

They could probably still justify a huge TV contract and get big ratings. They could even get attendance if they just barnstormed the US with Golden State vs Cleveland games. Maybe every once in a while they could have the two teams play another team, like the Washington Generals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I think most people who see LeBron's personality at face value (without all the ESPN, LeBron owned BlreacherReport......) see him as a complete clown.

The "I've never played for a super team" just epitomizes LeBron's personality; arrogant, narcissistic, not-self aware, and he knows nobody will question him on it because if they do he'll throw a tantrum.

Its not like these are one of statements every now and again, its all the time and he loves the attention and the praise. Just earlier this week he said Tom Brady is not the GOAT because he doesn't play defense (which is a stupid argument) but it was such a back handed compliment to the argument that he is the GOAT. Any other half-humble athlete would just have said Brady is in the discussion of GOAT but i'll let others decide but LeBron is too arrogant for that.

I think that pretty much is accurate to a certain extent of course as we really don't know him. He can come across a bit arrogant, narcissistic, cry baby but it's kind of what you would expect from someone exposed to such fame at a young age.
    I always try and look at him from the point of view that he has never beat his wife, raped anyone, DUIs or anything like that, he is a pretty good role model in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Who'da thunk before the season started that a 73 win team, who added a former MVP in his prime, would have won the championship? This is entertaining for some of you?

Sounds like the league has found their money maker - put all the hyped players on two teams and have them play each other.

One wonders if they should just show Golden State/Cleveland playing each other all season and cancel the rest of the league.

They could probably still justify a huge TV contract and get big ratings. They could even get attendance if they just barnstormed the US with Golden State vs Cleveland games. Maybe every once in a while they could have the two teams play another team, like the Washington Generals.

Other teams should stop whining like little bitches and start improving their teams, no one felt sorry for Warriors when they were pathetic for years.
    They got new ownership, they drafted well, remember Curry, Thompson, Green were all drafted, Livingston was been bounced around the league like a yoyo, McGee was considered a joke until he came here
    Warriors got lucky with salary cap et to be able to land Durant but it's a testament to this organization and players they have brought here that he chose to come here.

YES, this is very entertaining for me. It won't last forever so I'll enjoy it until other teams step up.

• Advertisement

Other teams should stop whining like little bitches and start improving their teams, no one felt sorry for Warriors when they were pathetic for years.
    They got new ownership, they drafted well, remember Curry, Thompson, Green were all drafted, Livingston was been bounced around the league like a yoyo, McGee was considered a joke until he came here
    Warriors got lucky with salary cap et to be able to land Durant but it's a testament to this organization and players they have brought here that he chose to come here.

YES, this is very entertaining for me. It won't last forever so I'll enjoy it until other teams step up.

With respect, the opinion of Warriors fans on how entertaining the league is as a whole right now is kind of irrelevant. No doubt you're enjoying your dynasty - just as I'm sure Cleveland fans see the last three years rightly as a golden era.

The league as a whole is in a terrible rut. And some of the smarter GMs around the place are clearly holding fire on moves that would make them better, for they don't believe they can close the gap. That's absolutely terrible for the league as a whole from a competitiveness and entertainment standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

So when he loses it's about stats, when he wins it's all about rings? Hmmm.

I think you are missing the point of my post, I'm not arguing for Tom Brady as GOAT there (i could go for hours on that lol). But seriously comparing the GOAT across sports is stupid, also its such american thing, do people outside the US even use the term GOAT?

Anyway, just your average team built through the draft:

Not 5, not 6, not 7........

So by that logic he'd rather have poisted those numbers and lost than have posted lesser number and won? ;):rolleyes:

So when he loses it's about stats, when he wins it's all about rings? Hmmm.
    So by that logic he'd rather have poisted those numbers and lost than have posted lesser number and won? ;):rolleyes:

Last year, he lead both teams in the finals in points / assists / rebounds / steals / blocks per game. They won. This year, he became the first player in history to average a triple double across a finals series, he lost. In either case, his stats are unreal.

The point, of course, is that he is incredible in his contribution irrespective of winning or losing (he was brilliant in 2015 aswell without the help of Love or Kyrie). I don't doubt he'd rather win, I think that's clear from his emotions at the end of each of the last three finals series.

Last year, he lead both teams in the finals in points / assists / rebounds / steals / blocks per game. They won. This year, he became the first player in history to average a triple double across a finals series, he lost. In either case, his stats are unreal.

The point, of course, is that he is incredible in his contribution irrespective of winning or losing (he was brilliant in 2015 aswell without the help of Love or Kyrie). I don't doubt he'd rather win, I think that's clear from his emotions at the end of each of the last three finals series.

I'm not debating the stats (they are exceptional), but the fact is he has lost more Finals than he's won and that's actually the most important stat. If only he'd been on a super team at some stage of his career.....:rolleyes:

I didn't read this article, but the headline sums up the situation we find ourselves in nicely:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jun/05/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-finals

That article came out last week for ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Hey guys,

I've had to clean up a few posts there so this is just a quick reminder to everyone that bad language is against the charter. Please keep the language clean.

Thanks

I'm not debating the stats (they are exceptional), but the fact is he has lost more Finals than he's won and that's actually the most important stat. If only he'd been on a super team at some stage of his career.....:rolleyes:

I didn't read this article, but the headline sums up the situation we find ourselves in nicely:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jun/05/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-finals

That article came out last week for ref.

It's almost as if Basketball is a team game and the Warriors were a team who won more regular season games than any NBA team before them and then added one of the top three players in the world to their roster. The line for game 5 was 9.5 points. It's not as if the Cavs were favourites for this series.

And in any case, what I was responding to was the well worn irrelevancies about LeBron's character which, shock, isn't beyond reproach (Jordan's wasn't either). People seem to want to tie series losses back to assumptions / denigration they've made about his character - i.e. him losing a series proves he has no heart or is selfish or isn't a team player. Or something.

The valid criticism of him this year is, assuming he has a major say in roster construction, the fact that their mid season additions didn't work out (Bogut injury aside). But they made strong moves on paper - adding Deron Williams and Kyle Korver made a lot of sense. They just didn't perform well under the red hot heat that the Warriors bring to the table. I was honestly surprised how poor both were however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

The Cavs are not an great shape this off season either. No cap room so all they can do(assuming Lebron and Kyrie stay) is trade Love, which may not even be the right move, or as I heard somebody suggest Tristan Thompson.

Love for Paul George seems to be what people are latching onto but its probably wishful thinking more than realistic. I dont know what you can get for Thompson but im sure it isnt going to be groundbreaking. It will be interesting to see what the Celtics do, surely they have to roll the dice now and go after the Cavs.

Im sure the Warriors dont have any intention of changing things up but im not sure what their situation is with contracts. Surely Zaza has to go? After that Id fight to keep the other pieces intact. The Warriors only competition seems to be the Spurs and maybe the Rockets so those two will probably make moves.

New Orleans need a few Sharpshooters and they will surely be a threat to any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

am i the only that wasn't interested in these finals at all? i just can't get excited for that matchup, i really hope we're served something different next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Problem with the cabs now Is any vets looking for a rings will sign with the warriors that's what the cabs have been relying on but I can't imagine any vets turning down money to go to them any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I agree with all of that.

Other teams have to step up.

But it doesn't help when you have a superstar player making an all time weak decision to join up with an already stacked team that would have won the title anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

When LBJ comes out and said he never played for a super team its when I lost a lot of respect for him. They cantered through the playoffs.
    I think LBJ is very good but I dont think hes Kobe level never mind Jordan
    His records for finals is very very poor

Not Kobe level :pac:

His record in his finals appearances in terms of his own performances is exceptional bar the 2011 series. It's almost like Basketball is a team sport. The correct question is to ask what the lines were before each of the series he was involved in.

Hint: his teams have been favoured in three

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Great read here on Durant, settling in at the Warriors, developing throughout the season and his work for the Finals:

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/13/golden-state-warriors-kevin-durant-nba-championship-draymond-green-text

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Lebrons a fat better player than Kobe for me I think Kobe has been overrated to be honest

Great interview with KD on the Bill Simmons podcast, well worth a listen - even though I know a lot of you don't like Simmons.

And for the Curry-haters/doubters, check the +/- stats for the Finals......can't link as on mobile but read them today.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Lebrons a fat better player than Kobe for me I think Kobe has been overrated to be honest

LeBron is definitely better than Kobe (and people on here think I'm the biggest LeBron hater in the world!).

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say Kobe is over-rated though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Not Kobe level :pac:

His record in his finals appearances in terms of his own performances is exceptional bar the 2011 series. It's almost like Basketball is a team sport. The correct question is to ask what the lines were before each of the series he was involved in.

Hint: his teams have been favoured in three

So what you are saying is Dallas were favoured against him :rolleyes:
    I think hes a stat stuffer, once he got to the finals without 2 other all stars with him as well as half the best veterans in the league
    I think for a long time hes was the best but it was at the end of Kobe and before Durant, since then I dont think he has been

• Advertisement

irishman86 wrote: »
    So what you are saying is Dallas were favoured against him :rolleyes:
    I think hes a stat stuffer, once he got to the finals without 2 other all stars with him as well as half the best veterans in the league
    I think for a long time hes was the best but it was at the end of Kobe and before Durant, since then I dont think he has been

No, Miami were strongly favoured in 2011. They were favoured in 2012 and 2013 too. Every other finals series he's played he's been a dog to various degrees. He completely choked in the 2011 series, the pressure and expectation got to him. Since then? He's been exceptional consistently in Finals series and his statline in elimination games is incredible.

Casual fan narratives like "stat stuffer" mean nothing. He's not a box score darling at all, but efficiency metrics like adjusted plus minus, TPA and PER love him. His ts% this playoffs has been incredible, and his defense is obviously exceptional from the eye test perspective - the Cavs fall apart when he's off the floor.

I don't even know why I engage with this nonsense. The media in the States has a huge amount to answer for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement