Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question re Sinn Féin

Options
  • 09-06-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Maybe I'm being naïve, but I'm really hoping I can ask this question without it turning into some sort of argument, and I'm really asking out of curiosity, I'm not trolling!

So, I'm not very political but I do listen to the news occasionally. I heard today that Sinn Féin won 7 seats in the British Elections, but they won't be taking them. I vaguely remember this policy from doing history back in my school days, but I'll admit I wasn't aware it was still in place.

I'm also vaguely aware that here in Ireland, Sinn Féin have said something like they won't form any government unless they're in it on their own, or the majority party or something like that (like I said, I'm only vaguely aware of it).

So my question(s) is, exactly what are Sinn Féin's reasons for these two policies? Personally it seems a bit weird that you'd vote for someone who isn't going to take their seat, or you'd vote for someone who isn't going to join with others to form a Government, but I presume Sinn Féín have well known reasons for these polices and I'm just wondering what they are?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

They don't see the British parliament as having legitimate authority to rule over the 6 counties so it's a protest vote

Wasn't aware they had that policy in respect of the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Regarding the first one.

An Irish political party has no more business deciding issues for Britain than Britain's Parliament has for deciding any part of Ireland. It is also what their voters have endorsed them to do. The SDLP over the last 40 years are a screaming example of why Abstentionism is practical as well.

The 2nd is not a policy, what was said they did not see the point in being a mudguard party who had no influence in on the Govt. They are willing and ready to talk and have made that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

They say they are sticking it to the man, but the reality is they don't want to step up to the plate. They prefer to just bang the table and make noise, and make fools out of people.

Fantasy economics that would actually devastate people's lives if pursued for long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

myshirt wrote: »
    They say they are sticking it to the man, but the reality is they don't want to step up to the plate. They prefer to just bang the table and make noise, and make fools out of people.

Fantasy economics that would actually devastate people's lives if pursued for long enough.

That sounds like the sort of blather we had from the Progressive Democrats.

A party that over saw whole sale corruption, the greatest property crash on record, a record speed of collapse for a modern economy, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Great, thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement