Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing in software development (GMIT)

• 31-05-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, I have a deferred place in GMIT for Computing in software development which I am planning on starting this year. I was just wondering could anybody give me a heads up on what subjects I will be covering in my first year?
    Thanks a million
    Keith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

This is what it says in the prospectus for software development:
    Year 1:
    The first year of the degree programme focuses on developing fundamental computer
    programming expertise. As such, first year students will spend most of their time in a computer
    laboratory, where they will learn about Java, web development, computer architectures, and
    computational problem solving
    Here's the prospectus: https://www.gmit.ie/sites/default/files/public/general/docs/gmitprospectus-20172018webjan17.pdf

Here is the September to December timetable last year which will give you names for the subjects. The year will be divided into groups so your day won't be that long.
    http://timetable.gmit.ie/sws1617/(S(nguu4fy2kcgiwc55sxn2ig45))/showtimetable.aspx

I don't do the course so I don't know what they actually entail. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nolo2k9

Hey man thank you so much for your reply. This has helped me a lot thank you very much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's a grand course, covers lots of what you need to know.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nolo2k9

Hi Tom
    Thank you very much for your response. I was wondering what stuff do they cover in first year so I can try get a head start at it, Ive already done a bit in Java and C. I was also wondering what kind of maths is covered in the course ?, and what are the lecturers like ?
    Thank you again man
    Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mayoman007

Hey buddy, how many hours a week study (minimum & maximum) involved in that course? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Nolo2k9 wrote: »
    Hi Tom
    Thank you very much for your response. I was wondering what stuff do they cover in first year so I can try get a head start at it, Ive already done a bit in Java and C. I was also wondering what kind of maths is covered in the course ?, and what are the lecturers like ?
    Thank you again man
    Keith

Java is the main language you focus on in 1st year. If you've done any bit in Java and C already you'll be in a good place to start.

They start right at the bottom and don't presume you have programming skills. So your first few classes will be Hello world and such stuff.

Javascript was another we did a bit on in 1st year. But all subjects start at a beginner level so you won't be given anything crazy.

There's around 20-22 hours of lectures and labs every week split out over the 5 days plus whatever time you need to do assignments and study. If you are lucky you might get a time table with Fridays off.

Anything else you want to know just ask and I'll try my best to answer.

Advertisement