Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

With the state of the Insurance business...

• 30-05-2017 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Just got a quote for an 00 Nissan Micro as a second run around for myself.
    ?500 for car and insurance....
    Well Aviva wouldn't touch it even though it's in my name over 30 years no claims, a broker, best they could do was ?1100. FFS.
    Never before in all my years driving have I ever heard such crap!!

So, the reason why I am here...

If I buy a classic, how much would tax and insurance likely be?
    I recall seeing some low figures a few years ago, has it changed?

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I have a vintage landrover as a second run about
    €58 tax and 3rd party €180 fully comp €350 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

thats mad. I also got a mad quote from Axa last month. Without going into details, I have over 30yrs driving experience, no claims, no points - Axa still wanted ~790 --> a broker got me cover for 455 ....

On the classic front, classic insurance has quite a few restrictions on usage and mileage in order to quality for the cheaper rates. Generally, the classic policy is for a secondary car.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just got a quote for an 00 Nissan Micro as a second run around for myself.
    ?500 for car and insurance....
    Well Aviva wouldn't touch it even though it's in my name over 30 years no claims, a broker, best they could do was ?1100. FFS.
    Never before in all my years driving have I ever heard such crap!!

So, the reason why I am here...

If I buy a classic, how much would tax and insurance likely be?
    I recall seeing some low figures a few years ago, has it changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Looks like it is clearly the better option.
    We have a daily drive as a main. Myself policy holder with wife as named driver. She has eight years driving on a full licence and yet that is not counted towards her experience in any way. Mental. So this would be a second car used as a daily run about to work mainly which is only 10 mins away.

I will now proceed along the classic route inquiry wise and come back with any further questions if there are any. :)

Even with the price of classics it's not going to be as cheap as I would like. Seems the days of a cheap (-€1000) run around are well and truely gone. :(

Wait a minute...

If wife registers the Micra in her name, even though she can't drive it as it's a manual and she only has an Auto licence. In theory I could drive it under the 'drive any car with permission' rule no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In theory I could drive it under the 'drive any car with permission' rule no?
    I think there was a conversation here before about abusing this rule. Basically it's a risky tactic.

Could you not be a named driver on her policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Wait a minute...

If wife registers the Micra in her name, even though she can't drive it as it's a manual and she only has an Auto licence. In theory I could drive it under the 'drive any car with permission' rule no?

Would the Micra not have to be insured by her first though? I could be wrong about that. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I thought that the 'insurance on cars over 15 years old' subject was done to death!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

w124man wrote: »
    I thought that the 'insurance on cars over 15 years old' subject was done to death!

Not if you just happen to own and drive a car over 15 years old .

Just to put this to bed..

In the end I bought a 02 Peugeot 206. Cheapest insurance was the €1195 quote, some of the other quotes I had nearly made me pass out. I had to take out a new insurance policy with no No Claims bonus. Was only way and cheapest (lol) way to do it.

I have come to the conclusion that there is one massive scam going on. The Government, insurance companies and car dealers are on a real piece of cake earner. The general public in the country get screwed all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have come to the conclusion that there is one massive scam going on. The Government, insurance companies and car dealers are on a real piece of cake earner. The general public in the country get screwed all the time.
    My conclusion too TBH K. IMHO there is a concerted drive(no pun) by gov/SIMI/financial institutions/manufacturers/Insurance industry to get people into new cars on finance to give the appearance of an improving economy(and swelling the coffers of SIMI members and banks) and this is impacting people's decisions.

Note the "articles" hitting the various media outlets regarding the "green" angle, the "safety" angle and the like. Not so long ago diesel was being promoted in a similar way from all sides and yet, fast forward to today and it's become the devils own juice, from the same bloody muppets. Add in the tax and insurance hikes, especially the latter(theres some "excuse" for my Babyeater 2000R to be loaded, but 1 litre Starlets are being massively loaded too) and it has become increasingly difficult and financially crazy to keep a perfectly sound automobile on the roads of Ireland. Even if the NCT(which has very tight emissions parameters, especially for petrol) passes the cars as perfectly roadworthy. What's the point of having the damned test for cars over a decade old, just come out and say they want them gone. At least be bloody honest about it.

/rant. :mad:

PS K, I'd weep tears of fcuking joy to get a 1195 quid quote. That's what I was paying two years ago. A gee hair under double that now. TPFT. That's insane. That the robbing sons of... have the bullet hard neck to ask for over a grand on an 02 206 is bloody criminal and as you said that was the "cheapest". I wish we could get motorists lobbying better in the face of this daylight robbery, but sadly the average non petrolhead tends to buy into the well promoted bullsh1t.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

For sure. Concerted effort by the insurance/simi cartel to get us out of cars that are 10 year old plus.

Yes these are the same people, with the government who drove us into scrapping cars for new diesels. Because it was 'green'.

I have had to give up my €1,809 tax barge and all.

So they chose this path with their policies. I can move down to a small economical car without a major trauma in my life. But it will be a kick in the stones for the government when I renew my tax now, and they stop getting thousands off me at tax renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need a diehard petrol head to run for election and we all need to vote for him/her.
    There are enough of us out there to get something done for us car enthusiasts and everyday motorists.
    There are no excuses, we are simply being robbed with the amount of tax and insurance we are forced to pay in this country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Apparantly 1 in 17 drivers are uninsured. This according to my mate who got rear-ended by some scrote in a jeep on the M50 with an insurance disc that didn't match his reg - before he drove off.

My mate is screwed now and the guards were not bothered to even follow up on the guy. He has to jump through a load of hoops and paperwork before they said they'd do anything.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I wish we could get motorists lobbying better in the face of this daylight robbery, but sadly the average non petrolhead tends to buy into the well promoted bullsh1t.

And unfortunately the majority of those new or newer car purchases are funded by borrowing money, be it credit union, banks or hp agreements. Another way the general public are getting shafted in their desire to keep up with the neighbours. It's a major rat race and an expensive one at that.

Happy enough with the 206 besides the expensive insurance. Couple of small things getting sorted tomorrow and hopefully some hassle freeish motoring over the next year. Put ?20 petrol in 10 days ago, hardly moved. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Apparantly 1 in 17 drivers are uninsured. This according to my mate who got rear-ended by some scrote in a jeep on the M50 with an insurance disc that didn't match his reg - before he drove off.

My mate is screwed now and the guards were not bothered to even follow up on the guy. He has to jump through a load of hoops and paperwork before they said they'd do anything.

Another case of unlawful is the easier route for some/most people. Those that try to live lawfully are shafted.

Advertisement