Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cattle weighing scales

Options
  • 26-05-2017 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm going buying a cattle weighing scales both for my own use and bit of hire if I get it. Just looking for some advice on best one to get and what are the troublesome ones. What to look out for. Anyone know anything about connaght agri's scale. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Avoid the trays with the high sides. Cattle put their feet on all sides of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

restive wrote: »
    Avoid the trays with the high sides. Cattle put their feet on all sides of them.

I bought the scales unit for £250 of a uk company. Just have to get a platform made now. I am sure you'll find better but you wont find cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

I have tru test. Very good and strong. Make sure you get heavy duty leads

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I have tru test aswell. I bought from o'Donovan's last year but they had a deal on at time and were a couple of hundred cheaper than current price

http://www.odonovaneng.ie/product/eziweigh5i-package/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

brianb243 wrote: »
    I'm going buying a cattle weighing scales both for my own use and bit of hire if I get it. Just looking for some advice on best one to get and what are the troublesome ones. What to look out for. Anyone know anything about connaght agri's scale. Thanks

Connaght agri are grand but find the platform too small for big cattle (>700kg), hard to get them to put their four feet on the scales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Connaght agri are grand but find the platform too small for big cattle (>700kg), hard to get them to put their four feet on the scales.

What length is that Jack ,surely an 8 foot platform should do

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brianb243

Are they worth the money or do they pay for them selves? Is TAMS still available for them?

cute geoge wrote: »
    What length is that Jack ,surely an 8 foot platform should do

Think it's a 7'. Might stick two bits of 3" angle onto either end to add an extra bit of length to it. They have an 8' also for a couple of hundred extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

I've a Connaught agri one and wouldn't like it at all. They've a piss poor back up service after they get your money.

Who2 wrote: »
    I've a Connaught agri one and wouldn't like it at all. They've a piss poor back up service after they get your money.

Really that's not good. What problem had you?How long have you it?

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I have tru test aswell. I bought from o'Donovan's last year but they had a deal on at time and were a couple of hundred cheaper than current price

http://www.odonovaneng.ie/product/eziweigh5i-package/

Are they worth the money or do they pay for them selves? Is TAMS still available for them

Are they worth the money or do they pay for them selves? Is TAMS still available for them

The only thing I find it useful for is dosing. Before I would just guess the weight and give them a dose. I was usually way out with my guess.

In terms of monitoring performance I don't think it adds value for my system. I sell the weanlins here and I know which cows are producing the best calves so weighing doesn't really help in that regard. Maybe if I was finishing cattle it would be of more use where I could separate into feeding groups based on weight

I think it's one of these things, if you can afford it well no harm having one but maybe spending the money on good animal would be better in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

What do people think of the DMD scales

Really that's not good. What problem had you?How long have you it?

Five or six years, bad tray design and won't hold calibration. You could set it, check it, run a few cattle and check it again and it's way off. They are absolutaly ly pointless if they aren't accurate every time. It doesn't even stay consistantly out. It could be forty kilos out now and the next one could be eighty kilos out.

Five or six years, bad tray design and won't hold calibration. You could set it, check it, run a few cattle and check it again and it's way off. They are absolutaly ly pointless if they aren't accurate every time. It doesn't even stay consistantly out. It could be forty kilos out now and the next one could be eighty kilos out.

God I'm glad I spoke to you. They only 25 miles down the road from me so thought be handiest. Goes to show always pays to chat to someone in the know.

God I'm glad I spoke to you. They only 25 miles down the road from me so thought be handiest. Goes to show always pays to chat to someone in the know.

I've had a good look at the odonovan ones and I'd say that's what il buy if I ever did change.

Have you a calibrated weight or how do you calibrate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

The lad who weighs for us uses o donovan type, swears by it. Connachtagri seem to sell mostly crap in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    What do people think of the DMD scales

Have it, good job.
    Plus if you have any issue, their extremely helpful at the end of the phone

The only thing I find it useful for is dosing. Before I would just guess the weight and give them a dose. I was usually way out with my guess.

In terms of monitoring performance I don't think it adds value for my system. I sell the weanlins here and I know which cows are producing the best calves so weighing doesn't really help in that regard. Maybe if I was finishing cattle it would be of more use where I could separate into feeding groups based on weight

I think it's one of these things, if you can afford it well no harm having one but maybe spending the money on good animal would be better in the long run
    Monitoring is extremely useful if you're a weanling producer, it lets you see if you're on target for the sales.

Chatted a lad in the mart awhile ago, he brought 3 bulls to the sale, 2 big & 1 lesser. His trailer was out of action & a friend brought them as he had a few to sell to.
    He got €900 for 450kg for the bigger & €900 for 300kg for the lesser.
    3 fine bulls.
    If that man had a scale he wouldn't of been feeding 300kg for nothing.
    He thought the bigger were 350kg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Monitoring is extremely useful if you're a weanling producer, it lets you see if you're on target for the sales.

Chatted a lad in the mart awhile ago, he brought 3 bulls to the sale, 2 big & 1 lesser. His trailer was out of action & a friend brought them as he had a few to sell to.
    He got €900 for 450kg for the bigger & €900 for 300kg for the lesser.
    3 fine bulls.
    If that man had a scale he wouldn't of been feeding 300kg for nothing.
    He thought the bigger were 350kg

Can u explain that bit?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Have you a calibrated weight or how do you calibrate it?

I've got it sent away a fair few times and a lad that used to work with me is fairly handy. He reckons they are just muck.

I've got it sent away a fair few times and a lad that used to work with me is fairly handy. He reckons they are just muck.

Ignorant enough sort of client to deal with aswell who2. That's why I didn't buy off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I have the 8' one for the past few years, no problem with it. My crush was a balls though, uneven wall on one side and it could get caught against it. Have a new wider crush and it's far better.

Have it, good job.
    Plus if you have any issue, their extremely helpful at the end of the phone
    How long have you it. Torn between DMD and the O'Donavan one. They seem to be the only 2 advertised online.

Can u explain that bit?
    The man sold 2 bulls @ 450kg when he thought they were 350kg.
    The price he got was the same as their 300kg comrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

The man sold 2 bulls @ 450kg when he thought they were 350kg.
    The price he got was the same as their 300kg comrade.

Still makes no sense to me. Maybe just to clarify, what would he have done if he had a scales??”

Dunedin wrote: »
    Still makes no sense to me. Maybe just to clarify, what would he have done if he had a scales??”
    Weighed them regularly & sold them when they were 300-350kg

Weighed them regularly & sold them when they were 300-350kg

Obvisously the 300kg calf was superior quality though??

• Advertisement

Obvisously the 300kg calf was superior quality though??

No same quality just younger & lighter.
    The younger lad was shipped the other 2 were too heavy

Advertisement