Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Speaking (Cork / Limerick)

Options
  • 19-05-2017 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone
    I have an acute fear of public speaking and it consumes me during the build up to saying even a few words. 
    I have thought about toastmasters but to be honest, it seems that they dont account for someone who is very nervous and im sure that it would suit me 
    I think a good starting point would be where absolute beginners meet for an hour every week where we can give presentations to help build our confidence
    Would anyone be interested in this ?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,784 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The phobias forum can be quite quiet. You might get more of a response if you posted in the regional forums for the areas. You could even try starting your own meet up group on meet up.com.

I wish you well, it sounds like a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tommy35

Hi sunnyday1234. I would definitely still recommend Toastmasters for you. They have a number of speaking roles like timekeeper and ah counter which are perfect for those starting out and building confidence. It has personally helped me work on my anxiety and fear of public speaking. I'd use the phrase...the more fearful you are of public speaking the more you will benefit from Toastmasters. There are many clubs around the country. If you are in the Cork region I would recommend Cork Douglas Toastmasters. They meet every 2nd Wednesday and the members are a good mix of young, old, experienced and inexperienced. Very supportive members in a fun environment. See link below

toastmasterclub.org/clubdata.php?c=151

Advertisement