Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Mercedes 190D

Options
  • 16-05-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm considering buying a 1992 190D 2liter that has come my way. It will come with a years NCT. Does anyone know what mileage these cars can get, it's for everyday use so I'm afraid of buying a guzzler. The seller says it does 500km for €50 which seems too good to be true. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭selfdiy

Should do at least 40mpg probably more. It'll be slow but reliable.

My biggest concern would be rust. Check the bottom corners of the rear window, and also all 4 jacking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭goochy

it will be so slow you will be going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Absolutely fantastic cars.

My brother currently has six of them. Incredibly slow but love driving them. Plenty still around so find the right one before you commit.

I personally wouldn't even consider the mileage as I've seen them at 400K plus. The main thing on my list would be seeing how well it's been looked after, which should be fairly obvious with a quick inspection.

Other than that, there's plenty of fans out there so buying guides/advice all over the place.

Great cars, will pick one up at some point for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I have one and I love it. They will last for ages if looked after but its the body you should be worried about. I put a 2.0 petrol diff in mine and it gets about 45 to the gallon because it cruises at lower revs. However it doesn't like motorway hills !!!

Its as slow as fcuk but I love it and it isn't rusty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

azul wrote: »
    I'm considering buying a 1992 190D 2liter that has come my way. It will come with a years NCT. Does anyone know what mileage these cars can get, it's for everyday use so I'm afraid of buying a guzzler. The seller says it does 500km for €50 which seems too good to be true. Any advice appreciated

Easily achievable. My 190D was averaging 48 mpg, which would be about 670 km on 50 Euro worth of fuel. It was manual and it wasn't that slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I used to have one of these a few years back, and while they certainly aren't fast, they are a fantastic car. Close to 50mpg should be easily achievable - it helps that they are the kind of car that discourages spirited driving. Check the floor for rust, and if it has a sunroof, check that it is not leaking, and that the drainage pipes are connected - if not, water runs down the A pillars and can cause electrical and rust nightmares. The engine in these is nearly bombproof, the gearbox not quite as much - check that it changes smoothly and doesn't slip out of gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did the 2.0D ever have an auto option here (stop laughing)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

As far as I'm aware, all the autos were 2.5 though I stand to be corrected. Certainly don't ever recall coming across a 2.0D auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

i have a 2.5 d manual easily does 52mpg and i have got 56 at one time on a long spin. very reliable cars. prefer my 123 though.:)

Yes. Every engine version could be paired with an automatic transmission as option.

What am I to laugh about here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mainly it's likely glacial rate of acceleration!

Mainly it's likely glacial rate of acceleration!
    More than enough to get you going and break any speed limit in the country anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

There's one for sale in Gorey at the moment - 2.0 diesel auto

Advertisement