Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Fry and Gay Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The one bad thing about this law raising its head again is that the Legatus Lackeys are going to be brought into every discussion for "balance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Absolam wrote: »
    Didn't the government pledge the referendum on bllasphemy last year?

Many referendums on constitutional change on the horizon for Ireland
    "Pledged" yes.
    But now, according to the blasphemously named C. Pope..
    preparatory work has begun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

The guy who reported it should be arrested for wasting police time, f**king moron.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that'd be a bit strange considering the gardai decided to take it seriously at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

that'd be a bit strange considering the gardai decided to take it seriously at first.

Eh, they shelved it for two years (no doubt hoping it would be forgotten about).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was referring to their decision to take the complaint seriously and forward it to donnybrook garda station.

Will be interesting to see if all the referendum talk dies down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That's probably because the gardai public relations can only really say they're taking any allegation of a crime seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

fisgon wrote: »
    The guy who reported it should be arrested for wasting police time, f**king moron.
    Nah, the "wasting police time" charge is only relevant where you lie to the police by, e.g., reporting an "incident" that never happened, or by falsifying details to make it appear that an offence was committed where, in fact, none was.

If anybody's wasting the time of the guards here it's the Oireachtas, by enacting this law in the first place. Once the offence of blasphemy exists, it's inevitable that the guards will have to investigate complaints that the offence has been committed.

michael nugent is on the pat kenny show on newstalk this morning, some time after 10am, to discuss this.
    dunno if anyone else caught this, but the first segment was kenny talking to dermot ahern about it (ahern enacted the law) and after a break, kenny talked to nugent and a former professor of theology from maynooth (can't remember his name).
    was reasonably diverting. the former professor was a little bit insufferable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

the former professor was a little bit insufferable.
    That would have been Vincent Twomey who's a former professor of "moral theology" and an all-round hardliner.

yeah, he still hasn't gotten over father ted. he was complaining about it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Believers who post here: are you in favor of having the law on the books whether or not you think it applies to Fry in this case?

No, it's an absolutely stupid law.

In a pluralistic society, everyone gets offended by something. One religion's 'truth' is blasphemous to another religion. So such laws are dangerous to religious freedom.

Also, having such a law on the books gives legitimacy to repressive regimes which use similar laws to persecute minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    That would have been Vincent Twomey who's a former professor of "moral theology" and an all-round hardliner.

So when Dermot Ahern said that talk of a blasphemy referendum would bring out 'headbangers on both sides', he was half right ;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Garda? were unable to find a substantial number of outraged people. "For this reason the investigation has been concluded."
    So I was just thinking, I wonder how many outraged people the Gardai would have to find, in order to reopen the case?
    I'm starting to feel a bit outraged myself :D
    Worth starting a petition?

That sh!tebag Selim has already used our existing blasphemy legislation as a threat to silence our media outlets, and it worked.

We need to secularise our society fast, otherwise its deference to religion will be taken advantage of by islamists, and the 'shure isn't it grand' head in the sand attitude of most Irish people when a religion they feel comfortable with (whether they practice it or not) has undue power will turn around and suddenly a religion they are not comfortable with will use our laws and constitution to seize undue respect and power.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

recedite wrote: »
    So I was just thinking, I wonder how many outraged people the Gardai would have to find, in order to reopen the case?
    I'm starting to feel a bit outraged myself :D
    Worth starting a petition?
    "a substantial number of the adherents of that religion" is the criteria, afaik. Which I think would mean it doesn't matter how much outrage is mustered by the anti-theists their opinions won't matter, providing yet another opportunity to be upset about how once again the religious have it all their own way in this country :D

• Advertisement

"a substantial number of the adherents of that religion" is the criteria, afaik.
    Maybe, but I don't think Fry was having a go at any particular religion. His outrageous comments related mainly to the outrageous behaviours attributed to god in the old testament. Which should be a sufficiently broad net to allow those of us who are not card carrying members of any particular religion to become outraged.

Dawkins has said that he's ready to be arrested for blasphemy following his talk and we know that the last investigation was halted as the police couldn't identify any outraged individuals.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/richard-dawkins-i-want-ireland-to-repeal-its-blasphemy-law-1.3080917
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/stephen-fry-blasphemy-probe-dropped-after-garda-fail-to-find-substantial-number-of-outraged-people-35692915.html

Seems the obvious answer is for Dawkins to give his lecture, for one individual to make a complaint to the Gardai about it, then lots of other people present themselves to police as "outraged individuals" in line with the relevant legislation.

An easy ask, I'd have thought.

Which should be a sufficiently broad net to allow those of us who are not card carrying members of any particular religion to become outraged.
    Great minds think alike - far as I recall, there's no test within the law which requires that the outraged individuals are members of the sleighted religion. And certainly the investigation which resulted from our friend in Clare proceeded even after the complainant had made it clear that he was not offended himself.

The next steps, people, are clear.

Two years back, Atheist Ireland put up a petition to remove the blasphemy provision from the constitution. The petition is still live:

https://www.change.org/p/an-taoiseach-enda-kenny-td-hold-a-referendum-to-repeal-ireland-s-blasphemy-laws

Maybe, but I don't think Fry was having a go at any particular religion. His outrageous comments related mainly to the outrageous behaviours attributed to god in the old testament. Which should be a sufficiently broad net to allow those of us who are not card carrying members of any particular religion to become outraged.
    robindch wrote: »
    Great minds think alike - far as I recall, there's no test within the law which requires that the outraged individuals are members of the sleighted religion. And certainly the investigation which resulted from our friend in Clare proceeded even after the complainant had made it clear that he was not offended himself.
    The next steps, people, are clear.
    Maybe not....

(2) For the purposes of this section, a person publishes or utters blasphemous matter if—
    (a) he or she publishes or utters matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion, and
    (b) he or she intends, by the publication or utterance of the matter concerned, to cause such outrage.

On paper, most of us in this forum are catholics, and it's not like we're not allowed leave... :cool:

Would be nice to see the RCC's own draconian rules bite them in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

On paper, most of us in this forum are catholics...

Like on a census form?

Maybe not....
    As Hotblack correctly points out, according to RCC rules, I'm a catholic - as is no doubt almost everybody else who posts here in A+A.

In the context of a law enacted for the benefit of religions in Ireland, it seems eminently sensible to respect the rules of the dominant religion in Ireland.

On paper, most of us in this forum are catholics, and it's not like we're not allowed leave... :cool:
    Would be nice to see the RCC's own draconian rules bite them in the ass.
    So the idea is to arrange with a significant number of others to falsely claim to be outraged by something that doesn't bother you at all using an affiliation you vehemently repudiate as your standing, all to point out how silly someone... else is? Only in Ireland as they say :D

• Advertisement

Advertisement