Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Honey

Options
  • 11-05-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Can someone please help with advice on raw honey?
    Where can you get raw honey at a fair price in or near Nort Dublin?
    Is the honey on supermarket shelves raw?
    I saw one today that had raw mentioned on the front yet under ingredients it just said 100% pure honey. No mention of whether heated or not.
    I think most honeys say pure honey but I don't see many with any mention of 'raw'.

Comments

Not sure what you mean by 'raw'.

Most honey on the shelves in Ireland is imported, often from China or Argentina. The label usually just says 'Honey from EU and non-EU sources'. These honeys are blends, mixtures of honey from possibly many sources.

Even the well known 'Irish' brands with geographic irish names are actually imported blended honey.

The most 'raw' honey that you can get would be comb honey which is a section of the wax honey comb containing the honey.

You mention a 'fair price'. I dont know what people charge but I would think a fair price for genuine irish honey would be a lot more than unknown stuff imported in bulk from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

A lot of websites talking about the benefits of honey say to ensure the honey is raw but the word raw is rarely seen in the supermarkets. They usually say 'pure' honey.
    I presume raw means unpasteurised or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Get onto Fingal North Dublin Beekeepers Association and ask about honey. There are tonnes of beekeepers around that area so there will be tonnes of honey. It won't be cheap though.. having recently become a beekeeper in the area myself, I can tell you it is an expensive hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Ok Thanks

Advertisement