Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Referendum and General Election

Options
  • 05-05-2017 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi guys

When do yous think the next referendum and genearl election will be in ireland

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Billy Reid wrote: »
    Hi guys

When do yous think the next referendum and genearl election will be in ireland
    I didn't think this govt would last a year, the first minority govt in the history of the state been propped up by FF of course who are just waiting for the opportune time/opinion poll to pull it down. Looks like it will survive into next year. Dunno know about a referendum, the 8th Amendment is much talked about these days because of the recommendation of the Citizens Assembly but FG/FF/LP are forever putting off a referendum about it since 1992 and the X case. There is of course the Assembly elections in the north, I have seen a Sinn Fein video introducing all the candidates and I have to say they have a very impressive collection of young candidates who seem to have injected a fresh air of enthusiasm into their ageing party leadership. Doubt if SF and SDLP will get the nationalist vote out as well as the Assembly elections but I suppose that depends on if the DUP, UUP and TUV poke the nationalist crocodile again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I didn't think this govt would last a year, the first minority govt in the history of the state.

Nope, the Tallaght Strategy beginning in 1987 comes to mind at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I didn't think this govt would last a year, the first minority govt in the history of the state been propped up by FF . . .
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    Nope, the Tallaght Strategy beginning in 1987 comes to mind at the very least
    I don't know where Stars and Stripes is coming from. We've had lots of minority governments. 1987 was the most recent (before the present one) but the first was in 1922 (Pro-treaty Sinn Fein had 58 seats out of 128), and in fact every government was a minority goverment until 1935, when Fianna Fail won a bye-election in Galway and converted its minority government into a majority government.

Even after that, there were more minority governments - in 1943, in 1951 and so on, right up to Garrett FitzGerald's 1981 government.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought the next referendum going to be about allowing citizens abroad to have voting rights in presidential elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭theValheru853

Personally I think that the current government should already be gone, but as long as it's supported by FF it will be here to stay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement