Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

South Anne Street

IMAG0347_zpsmj8xllcp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Portmarnock

34382954785_04fa544c7d_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

A couple of spots from Tuam today
    97 Celica & 91 Golf GTI

Portmarnock

34382954785_04fa544c7d_c.jpg

Beauty, good spot.

• Advertisement

Beauty, good spot.

I thought you might like it. How is your own Carina?

Surprisingly hard to get parts for. When i had the minor i could get anything needed, but I'm even finding it hard to get a carb kit for this. New belts and water pump this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

Merc, Fiat & Carina in Greystones, Mazda in Tallaght, over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Coolock earlier today

34427200505_93cd96ab8f_k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That would be one if the last of them charades I'd imagine? Never seen many of them registered in 94 I don't think.

• Advertisement

My thoughts when I first saw it! Thought 93 was the last of them this side of the world...

That's class. I don't recognize it, I wonder if it is local

Howth

34387857406_633b40888c_c.jpg

34387879196_31f417e0f1_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Personally I think ZV registered cars and other obviously cherished cars should be omitted form this thread and it be reserved for genuine survivors still in use. There is after all a Classic Car forum for appropriate pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Isambard wrote: »
    Personally I think ZV registered cars and other obviously cherished cars should be omitted form this thread and it be reserved for genuine survivors still in use. There is after all a Classic Car forum for appropriate pictures.

Sure the topic is "What's the oldest car you saw today"
    After all. If you saw it, You saw it.
    What difference does it make>
    I see ZV cars being driven around on a regular basis.

the difference is all in my personal preference. I'd like to see a thread celebrating long serving cars that are still used for their original purpose. That's not to say I don't like to see the Classics too, I have two myself, but separating out the two categories would make both more interesting (just my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

the difference is all in my personal preference. I'd like to see a thread celebrating long serving cars that are still used for their original purpose. That's not to say I don't like to see the Classics too, I have two myself, but separating out the two categories would make both more interesting (just my opinion)

I am confused.
    As I stated above, and I am sure others do as well.
    I see ZV cars being used a lot.Possibly as a daily runabout to the shops etc.
    Is that not using them for their original purpose?

^ trifle confused too, without derailing the thread, there are cars on ZV plates which in some people's eyes do not qualify as 'classics' merely because they're 30+ y/o, subsequently there are younger cars that (IMHO) are instant classics (1st gen Audi TT immediately springs to mind).
    Bestowing classic status on a car does not boil down to limited production runs, or year of manufacture (this humble posters opinion).

anyway, here's a bit of both - a W123 on ZV plates, and a BMW on year plates (although I'd hazard the BMW is an import). The Merc is a regular, if not daily driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I hope that's not a dead fly on your camera lens tc20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Was behind a nice local 240d yesterday coming home from work. It was on whitewalls too, looked class!

0iT.jpg

• Advertisement

"on the road" to me equates to "in regular use" .

Nothing is absolute and there obviously would be a grey area between two categories, but it is only my opinion and as it is attracting no support, I'll shut up

jayo26 wrote: »
    I hope that's not a dead fly on your camera lens tc20 :)

it's a bit of grit in my 'classic' Nokia phone Jayo :) - no matter how many times I try to clean it, the damn thing keeps appearing

"on the road" to me equates to "in regular use" .

Nothing is absolute and there obviously would be a grey area between two categories, but it is only my opinion and as it is attracting no support, I'll shut up

I fully understand what you mean. I just like sharing photos though, of anything old. I like this thread too and I like how the regulars are on the same page (imo) in that everything posted is appreciated. Personally I appreciate any contributions to this thread; I never expected this thread to be so popular

Anyway, spotted in coolock recently. Minter

IMAG0361_1_zpsbskyasyp.jpg

Coolock strikes again!

34306576192_0bfacebac1_k.jpg

Out of shot are a very faded pre facelift Brava 1.4 and a 1991 Polo Fox breadvan

^ very clean Golf there Duke :cool:

here's a bit of autoshite from Bray, but its still rolling, and a valid NCT to boot!

The Golf, Polo and brava are all owned by the same person

tc20 wrote: »

Ahem! :P

tc20 wrote: »

here's a bit of autoshite from Bray, but its still rolling, and a valid NCT to boot!

[Corolla] Amazing. 5+ owners from new

It has been eligible for classic tax for two years now yet the owner is still paying full whack, so I would presume that whoever is driving it just sees it as a car and not a "classic"

• Advertisement

Ahem! :P

I can't remember a time when those cars weren't there.

I spoke to Mr Fabio in the past about my Tipo, hes a great guy

Advertisement