Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDs have voted to make it compulsory to stand during the Dail prayer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

big syke wrote: »
    Separate issues.

I have no problem with having prayers before work.

I am totally against the nuns owning/operating whatever the maternity hospital.

I am anti abuse rather than anti catholic/church

No its not, the government is full of bent over jebus believing troglodytes who see nothing wrong with empowering the church, to the extent they stand for prayer in whats supposed to be a secular state run parliament.

This is the state we are in

kylith wrote: »
    Why the feck can't they just have the silence and people can pray in silence if they feel the need to, or mentally write a shopping list if they prefer. Covers all bases.

or why cant they just do their praying at home, in private???

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Tayschren wrote: »
    No its not, the government is full of bent over jebus believing troglodytes who see nothing wrong with empowering the church, to the extent they stand for prayer in whats supposed to be a secular state run parliament.

Standing for prayers before work (while also having the option of not even attending these prayers) vs giving nuns control of a maternity hospital where there would be a clear conflict of interest is of course two completely separate issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I see Sinn Fein abstained. If you thought Labour were useless and disappointing in government, just wait until SF get their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I have no problem with having prayers before work.

What about forcing other people to stand while you pray?

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »

Who is forcing anyone to stand while they pray?

They have an option not to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pherekydes wrote: »

No one is forcing anybody to do anything.

The Dail has not commenced business or proceedings. It's not work time. Not praying, why be there.

Jake1 wrote: »
    or why cant they just do their praying at home, in private???

Just out of the way all hush hush, no sight if your faith anywhere, might displease some atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Help!!!! wrote: »
    If it was to Mecca there'd be a lot more on boards in favour of it ;)

0/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

It is on their own time though :confused:

It is before work no?

Should have been a bit more specific. On their own time meant away from the institutions of the state where they should be focused on acting as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens. If they want to engage in religious practice do it somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I knew you lot would be quick to show up but Christ, at least give us a chance to respond saying this isn't the best thing ever before winding up the victim complex.

Oh wait you think I'm a bible basher? Oh dear how wrong you are lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

ScumLord wrote: »
    How is it even legal to force people to perform a religious act before work?

Less legal and more democratic I'd imagine.
    The majority of TDs want to pray and stand and reflect.
    I'm sure if you just want to stand patiently for a couple of minutes and not pray or reflect at all that no one is going to poke you with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Before your work begins, not interfering with your day at all.

It might be. I regularly arrive to work early, if I had to leave my desk and wait outside to avoid having to stand for a prayer in my office I would not be too happy. Also for people on flexi time they may start work earlier than the official start time so this would interfere with their day. It has no place in a work setting at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hopefully somebody stays sitting the first chance they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Who is forcing anyone to stand while they pray?

They have an option not to attend.
    So it's basically that Catholics can reserve the dail so they can have a prayer for themselves and non catholics have stand or stay out?

It's the hijacking of the centre of our state for a select group of people.

Is there not already some sort of chapel in the dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If it gets them to turn up everyday I'm all for it

Tayschren wrote: »

Yes the state of Ireland.

Should have been a bit more specific. On their own time meant away from the institutions of the state where they should be focused on acting as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens. If they want to engage in religious practice do it somewhere else

So once they are inside a state building they have to act as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens?

What about lunch hour?

I really fail to grasp peoples problem.

Prayers before work that are optional outside working hours??

What is the issue?

zedhead wrote: »
    It might be. I regularly arrive to work early, if I had to leave my desk and wait outside to avoid having to stand for a prayer in my office I would not be too happy. Also for people on flexi time they may start work earlier than the official start time so this would interfere with their day. It has no place in a work setting at all!

Is your desk in an empty chamber with no business there before work begins where there is literally nothing you can do but sit. It's not an office, no printing of photocopying, no nothing. It's not an office building with flexi time, it's not like someone is prevented from doing absolutely anything.

So once they are inside a state building they have to act as legislators in the interests of all Irish citizens?

What about lunch hour?

What is the issue?

The issue is that variants of "church" and "pray" are major triggers for some AH regulars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭techdiver

Anyone who thinks this is "no harm", or a good idea is nothing but a zealotous moron!

Why was this even on the agenda today? What were they trying to fix, other than to copper fasten, the close link of church and state at a time when it under the most (deserved) pressure.

Pray at ****ing home if you want to. Don't be making it an even greater part of or so called secular state institutions!

zedhead wrote: »

Are people on flexi time in your job asked to leave their desk for prayer time?

Actually does this actually affect you particular situation?

The dail does not operate flexi time.

The prayers are in the chamber before the working day.

What about lunch hour?

What is the issue?

The issue is that they are using the dail. Why don't they have a pray outside before going in

ScumLord wrote: »
    So it's basically that Catholics can reserve the dail so they can have a prayer for themselves and non catholics have stand or stay out?

It's the hijacking of the centre of our state for a select group of people.

Is there not already some sort of chapel in the dail?

Yes they have the dail for a short amount of time BEFORE THE WORKING DAY.

I am sure members of other religions can petition for some time to pray also (outside working hours).

You are being a bit OTT calling it hijacking.

techdiver wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks this is "no harm", or a good idea is nothing but a zealotous moron!

Why was this even on the agenda today? What were they trying to fix, other than to copper fasten, the close link of church and state at a time when it under the most (deserved) pressure.

Pray at ****ing home if you want to. Don't be making it an even greater part of or so called secular state institutions!

Yes, calling people who you disagree with morons is really an insightful and helpful way to debate an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Are people on flexi time in your job asked to leave their desk for prayer time?

Actually does this actually affect you particular situation?

The dail does not operate flexi time.

The prayers are in the chamber before the working day.

The response was to someone who was saying it shouldnt be an issue if it was introduced in any workplace. It hasn't been introduced in my workplace but I would of course have a huge issue if it was in any way shape or form. Apart from actual religious organisations - prayer has no place to be mandated for in a work place, especially not our government.
    If people want to pray is should be done in a way to not impact anyone else in the workplace, it is a private matter.

Yes, calling people who you disagree with morons is really an insightful and helpful way to debate an issue.

It also shows a certain level of intelligence.

The issue is that they are using the dail. Why don't they have a pray outside before going in

Why is the use of the dail an issue though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pjohnson wrote: »
    Approaching 3pm....yup its time for boards anti-catholic thread!

It's not anticatholic, it's pro separation of church and state.

• Advertisement

The other issue is that the ceann comhairle must also lead the prayer. So they will exclude people from that position if they don't want to pray. Is a shoddy piece of legislation and hopefully won't last long

Advertisement