Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Darksiders 3

Options
  • 02-05-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

Tentatively out next year on PC, PS4 and XBone.
    You play as Fury, a mage who uses her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth. She's described as "the most unpredictable and enigmatic of the Four Horsemen". In previous Darksiders games you played as War and Death. (In the Darksiders universe the four siblings are Death, Strife, Fury and War, if you're wondering why Fury is the star of this game.)

Darksiders 3 is developed by Gunfire Games, the studio founded by the people behind original Darksiders developer Vigil Games, which went under after publisher THQ went bust. Nordic (now THQ Nordic) picked up the franchise and recently released Darksiders 1 and 2 remasters.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-02-darksiders-3-leaked-with-screenshots-and-details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Yay! Hope they get away from the loot based style of the second one. Too much acting the bollix in the menu's in that game for my liking, so much infact i only played about 3-4 hours of it

Loved the 1st game, second one was okish but really pissed me off with the direction they chose for the story in that it was parallel to the first game and didn't progress it much or at all ? Been ages since I've played it.

Actually reminds me I've the remaster of the first game sat here since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't care if they make it like 1 or 2, i absolutely adored both games. Excellent in my opinion, and any flaws were easily over looked as i got sucked into the story. Love the setting, and have been hoping for a sequel since about a month after DS2 released and i had it finished! Delighted with this news. Hope it can live up to the previous 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I was wondering why Fury was the protagonist.

Good news, enjoyed the first two but I'd rather they dropped the open world and inventory management.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yus! Loved the first two games in the series, warts and all, so delighted Nordic are investing in this with as close to the original dev team as possible. Here's hoping they're given the budget to fully realise it. Pity Joe Madureira won't be involved but at least the art style and world have been established in the previous titles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Absolutely loved the first game. Came out of no where, and had a brilliant style to it. Also had a really weighty combat system which i enjoyed. The 2nd didn't quite work for me as much, but was still a decent game. Never cleared it, so will have to go back.

Delighted they are making a new one.

I don't get the lack of love for the second one. Yeah, it was very different, but i think there was enough to it to make it just as interesting. Took a while to get used to the change, but i liked it. Suppose it was going with everyone else around that time in making the game open world, but i won't mind if it's open or closed. Either way, i believe they will do it justice.

At the time i did enjoy that it was set the same time as the first one, makes sense really, otherwise they would have had to come up with some convoluted reason as to why Strife, Fury and Death didn't help War throughout. I'd also imagine that they will continue with the same idea for 3, as at the end of 2
    you see all the Horsemen coming together if i remember correctly
    . Either way, the screenshots look good, and it sounds interesting enough! Long aul wait though!

Also, i thought i heard mention that the 3rd game would feature both Strife and Fury. They must be confident enough to be making 2 games, because if they make a flop and i never get to figure out what happened, i'll cut someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I approve of this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Brilliant news. Might see about digging out the first two again or getting them for the PS4. Both very different games but both great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'll probably be finished with Zelda just in time for this! Enjoyed both the previous games immensely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Absolutely fantastic news, love the story, characters, art and gameplay of these games.

Watching that trailer and having played both games here's my prediction.

This game similarly to Darksiders 2 is not set after the 1st game but between when war is first summoned, defeated and then tasked by the council to do their dirty work.

As seen in the trailer Fury unaware of the intricacies of the conspiracy going on thinks War betrayed the horseman and doesnt care about saving him from the council.

In the end like with how Darksiders 2 finishes
    she either sacrifices herself like Death did or dies due to something, then is brought back to life along with War, Death and potentially Strife after Darksiders 4 when the seal gets broken all the way back in Darksiders 1 which gives us the awesome final scene in the original game
    , then in a 5th game the 4 after all being betrayed and ****ed by everyone, wreak destruction on all and sunder in an awesome cluster**** of mayhem, potentially and hopefully a co-op game like vigil originally envisaged

VinLieger wrote: »
    ...potentially and hopefully a co-op game like vigil originally envisaged

All of this post, except for this part. I don't want to have to play with someone to get the best experience out of it! Leave it SP please!!!

All of this post, except for this part. I don't want to have to play with someone to get the best experience out of it! Leave it SP please!!!

Valid point, i mainly added it in as they seem to be sticking very hard to the original design vision and that was always stated as an ultimate goal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

If there is a fifth game I'd rather have coop as a separate game mode. Have single player mode be broken into four parts centred on each of the four horseman and have coop be a horde mode.Or something like borderlands where you can play the whole game in single player but can easily go coop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Collection released of the remastered 1 & 2...

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/darksiders-fury's-collection-war-and-death/cid=EP4389-CUSA05275_00-DSFURYSBUNDLEEU1

Never played these games but looking for something cheap and good after finishing Horizon. Worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

20 quid? great value! great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The bundle is a tenner on Steam at the moment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Very happy to see this series continue :)

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like it's set before or during Darksiders 1 as War was still chained by the council when Strife took the mission?

Venom wrote: »

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like it's set before or during Darksiders 1 as War was still chained by the council when Strife took the mission?

Had the same thought when I saw that earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah Darksiders. Probably the most unoriginal franchise out there that doesn't have an original idea and rips off every other popular game on the market.

Good thing that what it rips off it does well. I'm definitely up for more Darksiders and good to see the franchise didn't die with old THQ.

Venom wrote: »

Yup guessing its set between when War originally dropped, was captured and then went back to earth. Its the best explanation for why the council has him in chains and Fury seems to have no care about helping him so she thinks he betrayed the horsemen.

Doubt its set after Darksiders 1 as it would mean they are throwing away doing anything with the awesome ending from that game.

I suspect like with DS2 this game will lead into that and potentially also a DS4 IF Strife isn't already dead somehow. If Strife isn't dead his game is DS4 and then DS5 is what happens after the ending of DS1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Me sis has been praising the first one for the last few weeks and it's family shared with me on steam so I might as well give the series a go soon if Tekken doesn't consume my life.

For those that haven't tried it, to compare it, the closest in my opinion is God of War, any of them. The first DS especially, as it's slightly more linear. DS2 plays like GoW, but is open world with Borderlands levels of loot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first game is a straight up zelda clo b e with God of war combat. God of war combat isn't great but that in combination with the zelda exploration makes it a lot better than the sum of its parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

gizmo wrote: »
    Yus! Loved the first two games in the series, warts and all, so delighted Nordic are investing in this with as close to the original dev team as possible. Here's hoping they're given the budget to fully realise it. Pity Joe Madureira won't be involved but at least the art style and world have been established in the previous titles.

This news has actually killed my enthusiasm for this. Have to rely on Battle Chasers to fill that void now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

The whip lacks the umphf of the twin blades and 2 hander of the last games. Hope they do a bit more work on it in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This news has actually killed my enthusiasm for this. Have to rely on Battle Chasers to fill that void now.
    Pretty sure his departure from Vigil after Darksiders 2 was released is what led to the formation of the new studio and the Kickstarter to start working on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I had no idea he wasn't involved with Darksiders anymore. Tbh I'd be much happier if he ditched this video game nonsense and went back to a regular comic book schedule. :D He could draw a stick man and I'd be all over it.

Advertisement