Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jewish?

• 25-04-2017 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Are there any practising Jews in Ireland?

I noticed while filling out the census that Judaism was not available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Judaism wasn't one of the suggested categories, but in each census only the top five religions/denominations, as measured in the previous census, get suggested as options to tick. The sixth option is "other, please write in", and you can tick that box and write in "Jewish".

In the 2016 Census, 2,557 people identified as Jewish. That makes for a pretty small community but, actually, it represents an increase of nearly 30% since the 2011 Census (1,894 Jews).

The Irish Jewish community, never very large, declined steadily for most of the twentieth century, mainly due to emigration. It was generally considered that the community was too small to be self-sustaining in the long term, and many Irish Jews emigrated as young adults because they did not think it likely they could find a Jewish spouse in Ireland.

The community reached a low point in 1991 (1,581 Jews) and has been increasing since then, probably mainly due to immigration.

However, your question is about practising Jews. The census gives no information about that. You'd need to talk to people in the Jewish community in Ireland (which is concentrated in Dublin) to get a sense of whether they feel that the community is growing. Many of the newly-arrived Jews are people who have come to Ireland to study or have been posted here to work. A lot of them are young single adults and they may not all be well-connected with the Irish Jewish community or its institutions.

There are three active synagogues in Dublin, and one in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DipDab93

I suppose it makes sense.

Does that mean there are no hebrew schools here?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

There are at least two in the public eye, a T.D. and a television personality. I thought there was a small Jewish community in Dublin.?

Alan Shatter and Mario Rosenstock from Waterford?
    Thats another point.
    If the heart of the Jewish community here is in Dublin then is Mario Rosenstock's family from Dublin originally?

I was thinking Amy Huberman, that makes three then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

DipDab93 wrote: »

I'm sure i was in college with a lad who claimed he went to a Jewish school... Might have been around the Rathgar area.

Stratford National School in Rathgar, only Jewish primary school in the state.

Did there used to be a synagogue in Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Did there used to be a synagogue in Cork?

Yes,though sadly it closed it's doors around a year ago due to lack of numbers.

Are you guys Catholic etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

I am

Church of England.

ah nice to meet you! :)

Incidentally, Tottenham Hotspur is my team.............. traditionally a 'Jewish' club, famous for our 'Yids' chant.

I'll be there on Sunday against the Arse!

suppose ill have to cross the waters so haha

• Registered Users Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Hebrew school" normally refers to what in Christian circles is often called "Sunday school"; it;'s religious education (and, in Hebrew schools, instruction in the Hebrew langugage) provided to children outside the regular school system, usually at weekends.

One of the synagogues in Dublin, the Dublin Jewish Progressive Congregation in Rathgar, operates such a school on Sunday mornings.

The other synagogues in Dublin are Orthodox, and Orthodox congregations tend not to operate Hebrew schools on this model. They prefer where possible to provide religious education integrated into mainstream education. There's a Jewish national school and a Jewish secondary school co-located on the same campus in Rathgar which offer instruction in Hebrew language and the Jewish religion to their Jewish pupils. (Well, to any of their pupils, I suppose, but I suppose it's likely to be the Jewish pupils who take it up.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moonstone63

Jewish dad, catholic mum, and I am an agnostic buddhist ;)

Advertisement