Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

4:53:09 in the end. Desperately undertrained for this and found it rough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Gavlor wrote: »
    3.08, happy with that considering the marathon was longer than the majority of my training weeks

Sickens me how you do that off little training :) - super running & well done.
    Got around in 2.58.41, just shy of a PB but happy enough as i had a ropey last 10k.

Congrats - it gets that last Marathon off your back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have to be very happy with that. Despite having a big block of training messed up was going round easily on for my B target of 2:55, and with 10km to go there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that I'd be getting round comfortably on target. Legs are fine now, was sufficiently trained for the time and did nothing wrong on the day.

But... Then there was the little issue of something being miscalculated with my insulin sensitivity, possibly from a change made by the hospital a few months ago. This meant that despite doing everything the same as before, same schedule of taking gels, running at a lower intensity than previous runs so if anything less reason to be downing the gels anyway... I went into a diabetic hypo with about 5km to go. Walked through the tunnel on the Embankment picking up discarded bottles of Lucozade and in attempting to drink then mostly just sprayed them over myself. All my gels were gone at this point, and I was carrying 50% more than I've needed before anyway. Was then trying to focus the mind as best I could to look out for spectators with bags of Jelly Babies and taking handfuls at a time and trying to keep moving towards the finish line ASAP as I knew I was very close to just falling on the floor.

Finally crossed the line and, after the stopping the watch, just aimed myself straight into the arms of a waiting first aider, blurted out that I was diabetic and to get me sugar urgently and then just left it to them to deal with. About an hour later after the treatment of flapjack and several bags of jelly beans was all good as new and let go on my way.

Very happy with my performance of running and proved that I could do the time I planned no problem. Annoyed that medical problems got in the way and messed the running up.

Have GFA for next two years sorted now so that is good. Today's time isn't going to be good enough for Fast GFA though, so need to re-think about what I target in the next couple of marathons now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Anyone have any ideas as to why they delayed the Red start for 1:20 after the start of the Blue and Green.

Whilst running at about 2:53 pace for the first few miles I thought it odd that the Green 3hr pacers were ahead of us at 5km. But they get a clear run at the start and with getting a bit carried away on the downhill not completely out of range of where they should be.

Me carrying on at the same pace though and I didn't catch up with the Blue 3hr guy until 9 miles in!

On checking a few peoples results it seems that Blue and Green started at 10am, or within seconds of it. At Red we were held until 10:20 for no apparent reason and when it came to doing the countdown the announcer did 10, 9, 8 etc in about 5 seconds as he was then in a rush to get us going.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Very happy with my 3:01:18. Cramping from 10 m so had to carefully nurse my way round. Steady till about 23 miles before the fuel tank burst and my engine stuttered to the finish.

• Advertisement

Got around in 2.58.41, just shy of a PB but happy enough as i had a ropey last 10k.

Great run today and nice to meet you in pub afterwards. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/23/london-marathon-josh-griffiths-jo-pavey-british-runners

Good story here.

Edit: Well done everyone for yesterdays performances! Hopefully I will be reporting similar positive stories next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

3:02:21 for me. Got carried away in the first half, started too near the front of the pen and got swept along running with people i should have been nowhere near. Ego prevented me from slowing down though :rolleyes: getting to halfway in 1:26 tells the story of the second half! Sub 3 was the A goal but glad to get the GFA time at least, assuming they don't change the target of course

Very enjoyable event though, made all the sweeter by a fiver e/w on Wanjiru at 12/1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great event, but two gripes:

1. Why is there no water available after the finish line (just like Dublin)? There are loads of water stations on the course, but no water bar the bottle in your goodie bag after the line. I find this very strange and possibly a little bit silly.

2. What's the story with the fast GFA start? They have a section only fit to hold half the amount of people allocated to start here, which meant myself and many others were still on the grass when the race started. We walked in ahead of the rest of the red start, but I can foresee chaos here one year if the rest of the start moves forward.

Other than that, excellently organised and hugely enjoyable event. The crowds are unbelievable. It's literally rammed from start to finish 3+ deep, bar a few small sections around Millwall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

3.08, happy with that considering the marathon was longer than the majority of my training weeks

Sickens me how you do that off little training :) - super running & well done.

I'm paying for it now, hip is in bits! No other aches apart from that or else they are just being masked by the hip pain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There really needed to be some chocolate in the goody bag! I would have absolutely murdered a Mars bar...

yaboya1 wrote: »
    2. What's the story with the fast GFA start? They have a section only fit to hold half the amount of people allocated to start here, which meant myself and many others were still on the grass when the race started. We walked in ahead of the rest of the red start, but I can foresee chaos here one year if the rest of the start moves forward.
    They have the mass start well held back by marshals and tape at that point. Have been on the grass during the start a couple of times myself and has all gone smoothly before. Think they have that organised well for the space available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Ferris B wrote: »

Great run today and nice to meet you in pub afterwards. Very well done.

Likewise, really enjoyed the few beers with yourself and Peter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Likewise, really enjoyed the few beers with yourself and Peter.

Well done S, you're going well.

Anything else targeted this year?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done S, you're going well.

Anything else targeted this year?

TbL

Id like to get after the 10k and maybe a good 10M. Ive been close to 90s slower than my 10m pb the last two times ive raced it flat out which i have to say is nagging at me a bit. Hoping 10k a and 10m training will overlap a bit.

How are you feeling about your next tilt? Im still following from afar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

robinph wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas as to why they delayed the Red start for 1:20 after the start of the Blue and Green.

Whilst running at about 2:53 pace for the first few miles I thought it odd that the Green 3hr pacers were ahead of us at 5km. But they get a clear run at the start and with getting a bit carried away on the downhill not completely out of range of where they should be.

Me carrying on at the same pace though and I didn't catch up with the Blue 3hr guy until 9 miles in!

On checking a few peoples results it seems that Blue and Green started at 10am, or within seconds of it. At Red we were held until 10:20 for no apparent reason and when it came to doing the countdown the announcer did 10, 9, 8 etc in about 5 seconds as he was then in a rush to get us going.

I didn't realise that as was along way back
    This also happened in 2012 I think when the clock went blank and we started 1 min slower than the other starts. Mad that it happened again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

3:02:21 for me. Got carried away in the first half, started too near the front of the pen and got swept along running with people i should have been nowhere near. Ego prevented me from slowing down though :rolleyes: getting to halfway in 1:26 tells the story of the second half! Sub 3 was the A goal but glad to get the GFA time at least, assuming they don't change the target of course

Very enjoyable event though, made all the sweeter by a fiver e/w on Wanjiru at 12/1 ;)

I was over in Amsterdam last year and I watched it 50 times I reckon since
    He had ran 29.08 from 30/40km and I also fancied him in a big way. He really has stepped up
    He was a big outsider in Amsterdam too as his pb was 2.08 before that.
    I taped it Sunday and the commentators knew zero about him did he have a finish etc. At 24 he could be the nxt big thing. He left a 2.04 man for dead in 10 yards in Amsterdam just before 40km and put 25 seconds on him in over 2.2km
    What made you back him ?
    He will never be near that again

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Hi lads,

I am going to try run this next year. I have a good for age time from Dublin 2016. So what do I need to do. I have siblings in the North so how would I best go about applying when the gfa entry window opens. Does race pack get send to the UK address of my family, ie my "new" residence.

Cheers.

Subzero3 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I am going to try run this next year. I have a good for age time from Dublin 2016. So what do I need to do. I have siblings in the North so how would I best go about applying when the gfa entry window opens. Does race pack get send to the UK address of my family, ie my "new" residence.

Cheers.

Just make sure that you have a utility bill for your siblings address in your name, which you obviously will considering you reside there ;)
    That, along with your passport and proof of GFA is all you require.

That's it really.

Just make sure that you have a utility bill for your siblings address in your name, which you obviously will considering you reside there ;)
    That, along with your passport and proof of GFA is all you require.

That's it really.

Cheers gavlor.

Do they just need a photocopy of this bill? Or do they want original in hand.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ooter

Cheers gavlor.

Do they just need a photocopy of this bill? Or do they want original in hand.

Cheers

Send a scan of the bill with your application.

ooter wrote: »
    Send a scan of the bill with your application.

Perfect. I will definitely have my name on a bill so.

One more thing. Will I need collect race info in the post or is it via email.

Cheers

Cheers

They post acceptance letter to your U.K. Address followed by registration letter, also to your place of fixed abode in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ooter

Cheers

Magazine and registration form are posted to your UK address, you need to sign that form and take it along to the expo with some ID to get your race number.

Just to keep the discussion on the right year I've created you a new 2018 thread now for talk about next years entry methods to get started again:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103332327

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I was over in Amsterdam last year and I watched it 50 times I reckon since
    He had ran 29.08 from 30/40km and I also fancied him in a big way. He really has stepped up
    He was a big outsider in Amsterdam too as his pb was 2.08 before that.
    I taped it Sunday and the commentators knew zero about him did he have a finish etc. At 24 he could be the nxt big thing. He left a 2.04 man for dead in 10 yards in Amsterdam just before 40km and put 25 seconds on him in over 2.2km
    What made you back him ?
    He will never be near that again

I read the lets run preview of the race and saw that he'd gone from 2:09 to 2:05 last year, as well as having good half pedigree. They said his most recent half hadn't been outstanding (62 mins or so) but Rupp ran a similar time at the same race before going on to do so well at Boston. 12/1 seemed generous and the lets run article also mentioned there'd been rumours that Bekele hadn't had an amazing build up so just decided to have a punt.

Good thing i was running myself rather than being in agony watching it, especially if it looked like Bekele was going to close the gap towards the end :D

I have to be very happy with that. Despite having a big block of training messed up was going round easily on for my B target of 2:55, and with 10km to go there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that I'd be getting round comfortably on target. Legs are fine now, was sufficiently trained for the time and did nothing wrong on the day.

But... Then there was the little issue of something being miscalculated with my insulin sensitivity, possibly from a change made by the hospital a few months ago. This meant that despite doing everything the same as before, same schedule of taking gels, running at a lower intensity than previous runs so if anything less reason to be downing the gels anyway... I went into a diabetic hypo with about 5km to go. Walked through the tunnel on the Embankment picking up discarded bottles of Lucozade and in attempting to drink then mostly just sprayed them over myself. All my gels were gone at this point, and I was carrying 50% more than I've needed before anyway. Was then trying to focus the mind as best I could to look out for spectators with bags of Jelly Babies and taking handfuls at a time and trying to keep moving towards the finish line ASAP as I knew I was very close to just falling on the floor.

Finally crossed the line and, after the stopping the watch, just aimed myself straight into the arms of a waiting first aider, blurted out that I was diabetic and to get me sugar urgently and then just left it to them to deal with. About an hour later after the treatment of flapjack and several bags of jelly beans was all good as new and let go on my way.

Very happy with my performance of running and proved that I could do the time I planned no problem. Annoyed that medical problems got in the way and messed the running up.

Have GFA for next two years sorted now so that is good. Today's time isn't going to be good enough for Fast GFA though, so need to re-think about what I target in the next couple of marathons now.

Glad to see you recovered after your serious medical issues in the last 5k. Never got to meet you over weekend but I had thought at the outset that it would bookend my last marathon nicely if you paced me in London to 3 hrs having been my pacer (3:45?) at my first marathon in Dublin in 2011.

I barely saw anyone over the weekend with baby wrangling and then lying down in the medical tent for an hour using up valuable drinking time. :)

Have just been catching up on the coverage on telly and have seen myself staggering along in the background of a few different shots now. One of them even has me walking on the kerb through the tunnel on the Embankment whilst attempting to drink Lucozade.

I am now eyeing up another marathon earlier than initially planned though and will potentially go for one in June. Really not taken much out of my legs compared to normal marathoning and feels like I just had a long training run at the weekend. I need to test out some new theories regarding the medication and getting that back in order though, and another throw away marathon would be a good test for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Not the best day for me in London, got home in a disappointing 3:05:33.

Started in zone 1 in the blue start, just behind the Championship runners, so got across the line in no time and in to my running straight away. I had set the target of 2:55 so plan was to hit halfway in 87:30 and aim for even splits or better pick things up towards the end. Got through halfway in 86:30, ahead of schedule but it felt nice and relaxed but I did find it a bit on the warm side. Slightly came off pace up to mile 20 but nothing massive, but the problems hit from mile 21.

My knee/ITB, which had given me problems in the taper, started to play up and it suddenly became very difficult and quite painful to run. I pushed on as best I could but I was leaking time and people were flying past me. I lost nearly 9 minutes in the last 5 miles, my slowest mile was 24 which took an agonising 8:56, I picked things up slightly for the last two miles and enjoyed the finish stretch up the Mall. I was passed out by a guy dressed as a pink flamingo but did manage to hold of a Viking.

This is my 3rd spring marathon (Paris 2011 & London 2012, both 3:07) but I found each day to be to warm for me. It's tough training through the winter to be greeted with sunny weather on race day. The funny thing was the weather on Saturday or Monday would have been perfect but I think the knee/ITB would still be a problem.

Disappointed with the injury, it forced me to pull out of a London last year but I felt I had managed the training well this year and got through fine until the taper. I found in the last 10 days even short easy runs were causing a bit of pain so hoping to run 26 miles at full tilt was probably not realistic.

As always with London, the support and atmosphere was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Have just been catching up on the coverage on telly and have seen myself staggering along in the background of a few different shots now. One of them even has me walking on the kerb through the tunnel on the Embankment whilst attempting to drink Lucozade.

Genuinely curious - I get you said you have a very good handle on your medical condition, and you are a very experienced marathon runner, but having watched the footage back, in hindsight, do you think you should have dnf'd?

Which got you over the line: strength or pigheadedness (ie head or heart :))?

Fantastic achievement given the circumstances. As a novice, I can't imagine I'd have enough of either when the going gets that tough.

Advertisement