Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If i lose my licence i will lose my job

Options
  • 22-04-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi i am a Novice driver and i have just received 2 more points on my license which will bring me up to 8 points, as a novice driver i am only allowed 7 points any more ill be disqualified for 6 months. If i Lose my license ill lose my job. Ill start from the beginning.

The first 3 Points i got was near 2 years ago, i was stopped at a red light in town with 4 cars in front and 2 cars behind, my handbrake was on and car was in neutral, i hand my phone in a hands-free kit on the front windshield of my car, i unlocked the screen to see if i had any notifications and an unmarked garda seen as he was driving by put the blue lights on and pulled me over, i got 3 points and and €80 fine, even thought i was stopped and the phone was on a hands free kit. The same night the same Guards did 12 other people and thats just what i seen there could of been more.

The second time i got another 3 points and €80 fine this was for speeding doing 92kph in a 50kph soon. This was my own fault and i know i haven't a leg to stand on here

The Third and final time i got 2 Points and a €60 fine for not displaying my N Plates. I was sitting in a car park in town and i was facing the road, i seen the guards in front of me on the road and they for some reason looked at me and turned their car around on the road in town and drove around into the car park where i was sitting stationary, asked my to display my license and checked my insurance/tax/nct which is always up to date, after there was nothing to find on the car they decided to pull me on not displaying my N Plates, They seemed like they were in a rush and handed me back my license and said ill be getting a call later and may be getting a fine. i didn't receive a call later but got a notice in the post 2 days ago saying iv gotten 2 penalty points and a €60 fine.

I will be going to a solicitor on monday to discuss my options, If iv no license ill lose my job and income and will be unable to meet payments etc which will in turn cause hardship for others as well as myself.

Any comments are welcome
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What sort of phone was it, out of curiosity?

It is possible to drive and not get points. You just need to up your game.

I'm gonna say this because it is inevitably going to be said:
    If your licence was so important, you wouldn't have let yourself get so many points.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Hands free yet you used your hand I'm sure your Facebook notifications could have waited. Other two also your fault. Tough that it will cost you your job but might teach you a lesson. What is the solicitor going to do for you in reality? All points were merited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

92 in a 50!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Excuse my ignorance but what advice do you expect? You got caught multiple times and received multiple points....so what's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

krissiijd wrote: »
    Hi i am a Novice driver and i have just received 2 more points on my license which will bring me up to 8 points, as a novice driver i am only allowed 7 points any more ill be disqualified for 6 months. If i Lose my license ill lose my job. Ill start from the beginning.

The first 3 Points i got was near 2 years ago, i was stopped at a red light in town with 4 cars in front and 2 cars behind, my handbrake was on and car was in neutral, i hand my phone in a hands-free kit on the front windshield of my car, i unlocked the screen to see if i had any notifications and an unmarked garda seen as he was driving by put the blue lights on and pulled me over, i got 3 points and and €80 fine, even thought i was stopped and the phone was on a hands free kit. The same night the same Guards did 12 other people and thats just what i seen there could of been more.

The second time i got another 3 points and €80 fine this was for speeding doing 92kph in a 50kph soon. This was my own fault and i know i haven't a leg to stand on here

The Third and final time i got 2 Points and a €60 fine for not displaying my N Plates. I was sitting in a car park in town and i was facing the road, i seen the guards in front of me on the road and they for some reason looked at me and turned their car around on the road in town and drove around into the car park where i was sitting stationary, asked my to display my license and checked my insurance/tax/nct which is always up to date, after there was nothing to find on the car they decided to pull me on not displaying my N Plates, They seemed like they were in a rush and handed me back my license and said ill be getting a call later and may be getting a fine. i didn't receive a call later but got a notice in the post 2 days ago saying iv gotten 2 penalty points and a €60 fine.

I will be going to a solicitor on monday to discuss my options, If iv no license ill lose my job and income and will be unable to meet payments etc which will in turn cause hardship for others as well as myself.

Any comments are welcome
    Thanks

Dude, you were one point away from being disqualified and you had no N plates on your car.

If you get put off the road I don't think you can have much if any objections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I don't mean to be harsh at all, but it sounds like all of those points were given correctly, so you need to cop on a bit and drive carefully if you want to stay on the road.

The best advice I can give you really is to start job hunting so that if you do lose your license, you have a new job to fall back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Roads will be slightly safer for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I normally wouldn't comment on a thread like this but even if you don't get done for these points you will get done for something else in the near future. A ban is going to happen sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sounds like you definitely deserve it, delighted for you and society that a potential killer may be taken off the road and we are all a little safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

OP Maybe go for a profession that doesn't warrant good motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don't keep you phone in a holder , the temptation to reach out and touch us to great. Let it connect to your Bluetooth and keep it in your pocket /ag or glovebox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

"I'll lose my license, I'll lose my job."

Well maybe you'll fecking learn then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

The same night the same Guards did 12 other people and thats just what i seen there could of been more.

I always love how lines like this are thrown in like the Gardai are doing the people a disservice by stopping people who are breaking the law. I commend them for doing a good job getting 12 people.

BTW, Did you follow the Garda around for the night to see how many others were "done"?

You well deserve to lose your license. 90+ in a 50 zone would be enough to ban in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Flupping road traffic laws!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Any comments are welcome
    Thanks

Big boy games mean big boy rules.
    TBH I'm glad you've been taken off the road as it might save somebody's life and teach you a valuable lesson with regards to not driving like a moron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Newbie on boards too.... strange how it's newbies that always have these problems never to be heard from again.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

Why will you lose your job ? Can you not deliver pizzas on a bike these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

GarIT wrote: »
    Sounds like you definitely deserve it, delighted for you and society that a potential killer may be taken off the road and we are all a little safer.
    :D

Hyperbole much?

I agree that from what we've been told the OP can't have much argument with the points s/he's got (like why didn't they have the N plates up :confused:) but lets not lose the run of ourselves altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Newbie on boards too.... strange how it's newbies that always have these problems never to be heard from again.

They come looking for sympathy and someone to tell em it wasn't they're fault. The guards are out to get em and "this is what we all face now"

When they don't get it them leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

GarIT wrote: »

^^^
    At least some posters retain a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

What car are you driving? Must be a magnet for the garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Patww79 wrote: »
    Points for just unlocking the phone? Good job he didn't see someone adjusting their air con temperature.

Is adjusting aircon a penalty points offence?

Allinall wrote:
    ^^^ At least some posters retain a sense of humour.

He done 92 in a 50 zone ,he could have killed someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

99problems wrote: »
    He done 92 in a 50 zone ,he could have killed someone.

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Any comments are welcome
    Thanks

I have been driving for 8 years in a provisional, unaccompanied mostly with no plates displayed and have not got any points ever. I don't think you can be that unlucky. You must draw attention to yourself.
    The part with you just sitting in the car park I don't really believe.

kona wrote:
    Lol

kona wrote:
    Lol

Oh yeah now I agree with your point of view , ****ing moron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have been driving for 8 years in a provisional, unaccompanied mostly with no plates displayed and have not got any points ever. I don't think you can be that unlucky. You must draw attention to yourself.

:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement