Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuns to be given new hospital

Options
  • 18-04-2017 9:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is astonishing and yet completely not astonishing at the same time.

how many of the nuns are left anyway? when all the nuns die, will the order be run by a bunch of lawyers trying to guess what nuns would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Not often this happens me but I'm at a loss for words ... and saddened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The article says the interests of the state will be preserved by putting a lein on it. Why not just keep it under the ownership of the HSE? What are the possible advantages of essentially donating the property to a religious order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but the nuns have no money.
    well, if they do, let them pay the reparations first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭TheChizler

....... wrote: »
    That was true years ago, but it is it still true today? I thought the running of non-private hospitals these days was funded through the HSE and Government grants? Maybe I've missed that.

I'd still object to it being named the "National" maternity hospital when it's not going to be run and owned by the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Well, it's being built on land that the Order owns. That probably brings a reasonably substantial value to the table. And the nuns won't really own the hospital as such; they are the shareholders of the SVHG, a not for profit charitable institution which currently owns St Vincent's Hospital and University, St Michaels Hospital, and a few other bits, and the SVHG will own the company (The National Maternity Hospital at Elm Park DAC) that owns the hospital. With the HSEs interest in the hospital protected, as mentioned of course.

I'm pretty sure the ethos of the hospital won't be up to the nuns either; that will be up to the Board of the Company which owns it. That Board has nine directors; 4 nominated by SVHG, 4 by NMH, including the Master, and 1 international expert in obstetrics and gynaecology, which means the nuns in question doesn't even have majority control of hospital governance; they themselves only have 2 seats on the Board of SVHG.

Absolam wrote: »
    the nuns won't really own the hospital as such; they are the shareholders of the SVHG, a not for profit charitable institution which currently owns St Vincent's Hospital and University, St Michaels Hospital, and a few other bits, and the SVHG will own the company (The National Maternity Hospital at Elm Park DAC) that owns the hospital.
    i fail to see how they won't own it - they own the institution which owns the hospital. that makes them owners in my book.

re the value of the land - the state will be investing €300m; how much is the land worth?
    and why are we giving the hospital away to *anyone*? let alone the order.
    why not give it to siteserv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

No religious order should have anything to do with maternity care.
    I am furious the state would do this. How could anyone think this is okay.
    Feels like we are going backwards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Call me suspicious, but I'm wondering if the Ladies of Charity will receive this substantial and valuable gift from the state, then use it to settle their portion of the outstanding debt from the Institutional Redress Board?

After all, the state has said that when some of the religious outfits party to the indemnity deal handed over control of some schools they owned, that the open-market value of the unsellable school was payment-in-kind of their share of the 1.5 billion euro Redress-board indemnity bill.

Why not breath some new air into an old wheeze?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This was reported months ago, there was a public row between the two sets of nuns over it...

Life ain't always empty.

i fail to see how they won't own it - they own the institution which owns the hospital. that makes them owners in my book.
    Well, I certainly don't dispute that they own the thing that owns the thing that owns the thing, but in my book if you can't use or sell or take some sort of value out of something then your ownership of it is to most intents and purposes pretty non existent.
    re the value of the land - the state will be investing €300m; how much is the land worth?
    I've no idea how much it's worth, but I suspect the principle behind conferring ownership is based on the fact that if it's on their land the HSE would be obliged to demolish it on termination of their lease anyway? Something on the lines of you can't keep something on land you don't own. And moving a building is tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Nuns are great for running orphanages and hospitals as long as the tax assessments are fair

I've no idea how much it's worth, but I suspect the principle behind conferring ownership is based on the fact that if it's on their land the HSE would be obliged to demolish it on termination of their lease anyway? Something on the lines of you can't keep something on land you don't own. And moving a building is tricky.
    It's a pity the state don't have the power to seize land in the interests of a public good. Let's call this hypothetical action a CPO, which would also handily allow the government to deduct monies owed to them from the abuse agreement.
    I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the value of the land in question is less than the outstanding money owed by the order. Citation required for that though.

It's a pity the state don't have the power to seize land in the interests of a public good. Let's call this hypothetical action a CPO, which would also handily allow the government to deduct monies owed to them from the abuse agreement.
    I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that the value of the land in question is less than the outstanding money owed by the order. Citation required for that though.
    I imagine most of us are pretty happy that public servants can't relieve us of our land in the name of the public good; the States track record with regard to land deals isn't exactly confidence inspiring. Allowing them to simply dudect monies they claim to be owed from such deals without due process would certainly ice the cake. No, I think if the State has a case to pursue debts, it already has a full legal system at its disposal. If it's not using it, then there may well be a reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the nuns won't really own the hospital as such; they are the shareholders of the SVHG, a not for profit charitable institution which currently owns St Vincent's Hospital and University, St Michaels Hospital, and a few other bits, and the SVHG will own the company (The National Maternity Hospital at Elm Park DAC) that owns the hospital.

RTE expect to fetch about 10 million an acre. As this is a hospital being built beside another hospital the choices are limited so you could put a price of 15 m an acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

More than a CPO is required as they would needco operation from the hospital.

I imagine most of us are pretty happy that public servants can't relieve us of our land in the name of the public good
    but they can.

actually, the RTE site would have been an interesting choice for siting the new hospital, since the land was already state owned. dunno if there's enough land at play for it though.

but they can.
    actually, the RTE site would have been an interesting choice for siting the new hospital, since the land was already state owned. dunno if there's enough land at play for it though.
    Well, no they can't. CPOs are quite a restricted way of obtaining land; they can only be used by particular bodies in particular circumstances, are subject to oversight, negotiation, appeals and compensation processes. At the end of it all the public servants don't get to relieve anyone of their land; the State ends up paying ( by and large through the nose) for it.

Much as I suspect the HSE would have had to pay RTÉ if they decided to bid on their land; I doubt the fact that they're both State bodies would have meant one would simply give it to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Much as I suspect the HSE would have had to pay RTÉ if they decided to bid on their land; I doubt the fact that they're both State bodies would have meant one would simply give it to the other.

Yes, but it's paying yourself for something so who cares what it costs.

It's like when people complain about people on the dole spending their money on cigarettes. 80% of the price of cigarettes is tax, so it only really costs the tax payer a couple of euros a pack, it would be more expensive if the social welfare recipient spent their money on a hobby like knitting

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced State bodies work that way, and I've no doubt that a heck of a lot of money would go to solicitors, assessors, and consultants in the process, but yes it's one way of looking at it I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well, no they can't. CPOs are quite a restricted way of obtaining land; they can only be used by particular bodies in particular circumstances, are subject to oversight, negotiation, appeals and compensation processes. At the end of it all the public servants don't get to relieve anyone of their land; the State ends up paying ( by and large through the nose) for it.
    CPOs are used when the state needs to compulsorily acquire land for necessary public infrastructure. So I'm pretty sure a maternity hospital qualifies for that.

As for the price of compensation, if the state only pays for the land or site value, that would be very affordable. The built facilities on site were mostly paid for already by the state, so there is a good case for excluding them from the CPO price.

all that said and done, at how many levels was 'yeah, we'll build this hospital for a third of a billion and just hand over ownership to a religious order' rubber stamped? what's harris's excuse? did he actually not know this?
    even if you could make the argument about a trust managing it, why was it *handed over* to the trust, rather than them just paying them to run it?

recedite wrote: »
    CPOs are used when the state needs to compulsorily acquire land for necessary public infrastructure. So I'm pretty sure a maternity hospital qualifies for that.
    As for the price of compensation, if the state only pays for the land or site value, that would be very affordable. The built facilities on site were mostly paid for already by the state, so there is a good case for excluding them from the CPO price.
    Given that those who actually understand the intricacies of CPOs elected not to even attempt one in this case, I think we can reasonably say that argument didn't show any merit where it matters. Since CPOs aren't exactly the topic at hand, I think it's sufficient to say that there wasn't one, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,059 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I’m coming late to this, and I’m not sure that I’m on top of all the facts, but it seems to me you could spin this one of (at least) two ways:

- “Nuns to be given new hospital”

- “Nuns provide new hospital site, for free”

The context here is that, in Irish law, there’s no distinction between (a) land, and (b) trees or crops planted in, or buildings or structures erected on, the land. The house at no. 1 Main Street is not a distinct asset, owned or capable of being owned separately from the site at no. 1 Main Street. When you build a house at no. 1 Main Street, you’re not creating a new item of property; you’re just improving or enhancing the value of an existing item of property.

Right. The opening position here is that the Elm Park site belongs to the Sisters of Charity. They bought it decades ago - at some time prior to the 1930s, I think - and from memory it served as their novitiate until they decided to relocate St. Vincent’s Hospital (which they established and ran) from its Stephen’s Green site (which they owned) to Elm Park in 1970.

As regards the new hospital, there’s a few options open to the State:

- Build it somewhere other than Elm Park. Obviously, this would require the State either to buy a suitable site, or allocate a suitable site from its existing estate, which in turn might involve rehousing/relocating any activity currently being operated on that site. So, not a cost-free alternative.

- Buy a site at Elm Park from the Sister of Charity. It has been suggested that they could CPO the site. Possibly, but that wouldn’t necessarily be cheaper than buying it by negotiation in the usual way. Either would cost a large amount of money, given the size and location of the site.

- Take a long lease of a site at Elm Park from the Sisters of Charity. At the end of the lease, if not renewed, the site with the hospital buildings on it would revert to the landlord, but a fifty-year old hospital building (or whatever) wouldn’t necessarily be a substantial enhancement to the value of the site - it would be obsolete, aged and in need of renovation or (more probably) demolition and replacement. So that wouldn’t represent a huge gift to the landlord, really. What would be a benefit to the landlord (and therefore a cost to the State) would be the rent paid on the site during the term of the lease, more than the value of the hospital buildings on the expiry of the lease.

- What seems to be actually happening: build a hospital on the site in return for the owner’s commitment to allow the site to be used to operate a hospital. As far as site cost goes, this is the cheapest arrangement for the State, since you don’t pay anything at all up front to acquire the site and you don’t pay any rent to occupy it; you get the use of it for free, and the site owner forgoes the sale or rental proceeds they could get from selling the site or letting it to another tenant. Instead the site owner gets any enhancement to the value of the site which comes from having a hospital building on it, but it only gets that value when the state vacates the site and ceases to operate a hospital there. As already noted, depending on how far off that day is, that’s not a terribly valuable right, and and its present value is certainly very small.

We can see this by imagining whether any commercial property developer would enter into a similar deal - provide a large site in Dublin 4 at no upfront cost and for no rent, and allow a hospital to be built on it, in return for the enhancement to the site value which would come from having a vacant hospital on it when the arrangement comes to an end. We can’t imagine a commercial developer entering into any such deal, can we? Which strongly suggests that, from the State’s point of view, this is a pretty good deal. They’re not doing this to confer some enormous advantage on the nuns, but to secure a considerable advantage for the taxpayers. It’s likely the cheapest way for the State to build the hospital.

Of course, much depends on the particular terms of the agreement under which the Sisters of Charity will allow the hospital to be conducted on the site. How long does it run for? Under what circumstances, and on what terms, can it be terminated? As we don’t know the answer to questions like these, we can’t say for sure how good or bad a deal this is from either party’s point of view. But it’s not obviously a bad deal from the State’s point of view, financially speaking.

The point has been made that the Sisters of Charity have an outstanding liability to the redress scheme. It’s a fair point, but it cuts both ways. The nuns could easily have approached this on the basis that they would provide the site rent-free, in return for their liability under the redress agreement being reduced each year by the market rental value of the site, or some such deal. As it is, it seems (from what has been reported) that they provide the site for free, and still retain their full liability under the redress agreement. So, again, this is not an obviously bad deal from the State’s point of view.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

https://twitter.com/morningireland/status/854961412900143104

In the clip they mention that Harris stated the nuns will have "no role in the provision of healthcare".

Which is contradicted by a statement by Sister Agnes of the order who will sit on the board (mentioned by one of the people in the clip).

Haven't been able to find any source to examine what she said, but it seems the nuns and the minister have different views on the role of the nuns in the hospital.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,059 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Haven't seen what either of them said, but I suspect the distinction that is being made is between the provision of healthcare, which can only be done by doctors, nurses and similar licensed practitioners (and it's not proposed that any of these will be nuns) and the operation of a hospital, which is what the board will do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Buy a site at Elm Park from the Sister of Charity. It has been suggested that they could CPO the site. Possibly, but that wouldn’t necessarily be cheaper than buying it by negotiation in the usual way. Either would cost a large amount of money, given the size and location of the site.

A large amount of money, but what percentage of the total project cost? Basically the nuns are being gifted the difference, albeit with constraints such that they can't do much with it in the short term. Surely either directly purchasing or issuing a CPO for the site and then paying the order the amount involved less the amount they owe the state through the redress scheme would make far more sense for the taxpayer.

I think the bigger issue is whether the public want to see the clergy involved in large institutions like this going forward, where the bulk of the reaction I'm hearing seems not.

i would be very curious what would happen when abortion (in whatever circumstance) is legalised; how would the sisters react to such acts being carried out on their property? are the guarantees enough to prevent them from interfering in that?

how would you feel being a pregnant woman going to give birth in the 'national' maternity hospital knowing it's owned by a catholic order?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In twenty years time or less, there will be no nuns left in Ireland, unless they import them. What happens when the order own the hospital but has no members?
    Do the sky fairies own it?

Advertisement