Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heathfield, Finglas, New-Development

Options
  • 13-04-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I am looking for some info. There's a new phase of houses been launched at Heathfield in the coming months. We are seriously thinking about buying a property here. There are 49 new 3 bedroom houses going on the market. I have heard lots of sories (all negative) about the estate however these are from people that do not actually live in the estate.
    I am hoping that I can get honest feedback from people that actually live in Heathfield. Thank you in advance, Tam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

What kind of negative stories were you hearing?

I am also considering looking at houses there. It wouldn't be my first choice though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

What kind of negative stories were you hearing?

I am also half considering looking at houses there. It wouldn't be my first though

Basically it's in West Finglas on Cappagh road, a lot of people consider that as a very off-putting area. Also you have the halting side pretty much right around the corner.

LirW wrote:
    Basically it's in West Finglas on Cappagh road, a lot of people consider that as a very off-putting area. Also you have the halting side pretty much right around the corner.

I drive by the development regularly and don't like where it's situated. Only considering it because there aren't any other new builds around for that money.

Was kind of hoping living inside the estate itself would be OK but I have my doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

From what I've heard the estate itself is supposed to be very nice and there is a good sense of community going on with lovely people. It's more the area around it that keeps a lot of people worrying. If I'd move there, I know my In-laws wouldn't come to visit because they'd be terrified, not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I drive by it semi regularly.
    It's a strange one in some ways. One of the reasons an area like West Finglas gets bad is difficulty accessing normal amenities and employment opportunities.

Heathfield is very well situated for people working in Ballycoolin (and there's alot of employment there). It's also fairly handy for Blanchardstown but you'd really need two cars as there's limited public transport and not much within walking distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FinanceDublin

I'm in Heathfield on a reasonably regular basis. It's a bit of an anomaly: it's nice, houses are nice, your neighbours would be broadly nice but it's hard to get away from the two key problems of some unruly neighbours outside the estate, and traffic issues if you're heading south towards city in morning as opposed to west to m50. You're also kind of stranded in terms of community facilities (shops, coffee shops etc) within walking distance and no sign of critical mass coming to sort that out any time soon.....

So, positives and negatives. Which is sort of reflected in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

as there's limited public transport and not much within walking distance.

I don't think it's too bad is it? 40d and one other serving Blanchardstown Centre goes by it and a number of buses serve Cappagh Hospital across the road, although where they serve I don't know.

I think it might be isolated enough from the rest of west Finglas, you won't get casual foot traffic as there's nothing to walk that direction for really, and ironically the halting site may keep the casual thug from that area. You used to get the odd caravan taken from the site and burned at the entrance, but I don't travel by it regularly enough anymore to tell if it's still an occasional thing.

ThisRegard wrote:
    I don't think it's too bad is it? 40d and one other serving Blanchardstown Centre goes by it and a number of buses serve Cappagh Hospital across the road, although where they serve I don't know.

Problem is there is little or nothing around the estate and good bit of a walk to the nearest shops. I have never actually been inside the estate but there doesn't appear to be any green areas for kids to play which would be an issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Problem is there is little or nothing around the estate and good bit of a walk to the nearest shops. I have never actually been inside the estate but there doesn't appear to be any green areas for kids to play which would be an issue.

Large green areas with playgrounds on site.

kceire wrote:
    Large green areas with playgrounds on site.

I didn't know that, thanks.

The development must be a lot bigger than it looks from the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

ThisRegard wrote: »

I think it might be isolated enough from the rest of west Finglas, you won't get casual foot traffic as there's nothing to walk that direction for really, and ironically the halting site may keep the casual thug from that area. You used to get the odd caravan taken from the site and burned at the entrance, but I don't travel by it regularly enough anymore to tell if it's still an occasional thing.

I'm sure you're right.
    I've no reason to take public transport in the area so it's probably better then my impression suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

A reminder that the OP is seeking advice from people who live in the area, not judgements from those who don't. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm from the area.
    Would I live there. Yes.
    Are the houses nice. Yes.
    Well spec'd. Yes.
    Garden and private space bigger than the norm. Yes.
    Neighbour's good. Yes. (But there's always 1, even in the posh estates).
    Good community spirit with Facebook groups and community groups. Yes.
    Do I live there. No. (Family do).

What stopped me buying. I live in the heart of finglas. I didn't like that I couldn't walk to a shop on a Saturday morning for rashers and milk :)
    The nearest shop is the tesco express at the church of announciation (Too Shops).

The whole area has changed over the last year or so. The roads outside are done. Proper junctions along Cappagh Hospital.

Bad thins are if you are commenting to town, when you leave to head south along Ratoath Road and the traffic can be bad over the new cabra bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

I pass by it regularly - there's a halting site slightly down the road, and there's a tip across from the halting site where loads of rubbish is dumped, rats galore etc. (oh and they very regularly set fire to the rubbish, so you'll need to close your windows from time to time). There's a playground up the road, which also looks like it's just a tip now.

I've never had any issues walking by the area, but I've never lived there. There's a Tesco Express not too far up the road - not on your doorstep though, but it's not really a far walk, not worth complaining about the distance - it's fine.

There was a big riot at the halting site a few years ago I think - one that even the Guards were scared to go near (and yea, I've heard it from a Guard to "watch out for the boys" around that area...).
    Google the name of roads/places in the area, to get an idea of its history - it's not far off a place that was notorious as a dumping ground for dead bodies, by criminals.

If it's any consolation, you'd be in walking distance of the countries best climbing wall :) (which is a really big plus point, great place/people there)

Would I live there? Not if I want to raise kids, to be honest...
    If it's just adults moving in and (realistically, sorry...) you're ok with an increased potential of being broken into sometime (just look up crime stats), then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

One thing you may want too look into is the likelihood of a price increase after purchase. I believe the price difference between the east of finglas and the west in the previous boom was quite substantial. Nice looking house's but don't look like they will give a massive return like some will eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tamaroonz

Hi Guys, thank you for all your feedback it has provided us with some really great food for thought. I have spoken with residents that live in the area and they all supplied me with really positive feed back. I looked into 1 or 2 of the negative stories that I had heard and they actually had no truth to them. IO believe that some people for whatever reason actually enjoy spreading negativity. I take on board actual facts and have weighed all the pros and cons. I believe that this is an up and coming development and that it has a good solid sense of community. As we are moving with 2 grown children it ticks all the boxes for us. That been said nothing is set in stone and we are still keeping our eye out for other developments that we may not have previously considered. Thanks again, Tams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

Hmm, there is truth to many of the negative stories though.

The tip beside Heathfield, you can see that they burn the stuff regularly - that's only the outside view as well, trying walking down that path.

The halting site riot from a few years ago:
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/armed-gardai-at-scene-as-fight-between-rival-travellers-reignites-this-morning-30465936.html

This happened two years earlier in 2012, a previous riot involving up to 40 people - house petrol bombed in the area and everything:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/car-destroyed-and-house-bombed-in-gang-savagery-28004074.html

A little bit down the road, across the fields you see in front of the houses, is Dunsink Lane and Scribblestown Lane - the general area is notorious as a gangland dumping ground for dead bodies - one of the people dumped there was killed at Cappagh Cross, the roundabout just past Heathfield and the M50 overpass:
    http://www.herald.ie/news/ive-seen-the-infamous-killing-field-give-up-too-many-bodies-27912331.html

This is not 'spreading negativity' - you asked for critical feedback, this is all stuff even a little bit of Googling can discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tamaroonz

With regard to people spreading negativity I meant that when it is mentioned that i am interested in this estate they always reply. with a kind of "No way, really? I have heard lots about Heathfield", and when I ask for clarification I get a mish mash of 'negative stories" hence why I asked for more information as this is a big investment.

I did ask for critical feedback, from those that live within the estate. I actually live at the other end of dunsink lane in Eastwood which connects directly onto dunsink. I have seen the burning of rubbish that happens within the tip on a regular basis but it has no effect on my property. As for the riot that happened it happened near 3/4/5 years ago and it was contained to the halting site which is a distance down the road.

I did google these stories and am obviously well aware of it. I would never judge any area by stories that have happened in the surrounding areas. What I initially asked was could I get honest feedback from people that actually live in the Heathfield area. I had heard that there was trouble within the estate re;house burglaries, anti-social behaviour, undesirables etc. I am sorry that I didn't clarify my question more clearly. I do however appreciate all the feedback that I have received.

Thanks again, Tam

• Registered Users Posts: 3 focabh

I am buying a house there and would like to know if the issues people were talking about (Rats, roads and tough neighbors) are still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I don't live there but I have a buddy who does who I visit a fair bit, I live around the corner and my partner drives past on her daily commute. Road is finished and fine but here are some observations my mate has made at various points, and stuff we've noticed ourselves:

- Estate is nice, neighbours generally seem to be sound, but
    - Halting site nearby is at best a nuisance and at worst a real hazard. Anything not nailed down in the garden will go missing. Invest in a good security system as breakins don't seem to be as rare as elsewhere
    - Dogs from halting site often disrupt traffic in the morning as they roam, get lost and run around in the middle of the road (I've personally scooped three up and returned them to the site)
    - Traffic heading towards Cabra bridge is hellish in the mornings
    - Despite being next to the M50 there's no exit handy, to actually get onto the motorway you have to either cut through estates to Finglas road or head towards Mulhuddart
    - Busses are ok

My mate and his partner are happy enough because they reckon the house they got was good value for money, but I don't think I'd want o buy there if I could avoid it. THat said, the area is unlikely to deteriorate, it can only really improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 aon212

Heathfield is just not a nice place to live. Theres a lot of houses for sale there for a good reason. The environment concerning the area just isnt good for families.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

It's a shame as the location is handy enough but I wouldn't buy a house next to a halting site. The state of their sites with all the rubbish etc is an indication how they value their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aon212

Trust me its not halting sites you have to worry about,

Heathfield is its own downfall not a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JangVee

Hi! I am doing some research on how the Heathfield area is at present. My partner and I are interested in buying a house there. Reading through the previous posts, there aren't many pros stated. If you can update how's your experience in Heathfield, that would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Get your wife to take a good walk around the area and its surrounds on their own for a couple of hours around 9 or 10pm.

Thats how you get a feel for the area.

If they come back to you and say they wouldnt do it again, well then you know you are buying a house where you cant really use the area at night.

Based on that experiment over a few nice mild nights you can decide whether you want to raise a family around there.

Another way i used to check was to get that last bus back to the area and see how it felt.

Dont believe people who already live in an area. You become used to things and they never seem as bad after a while. Its how it feels for you and your family that you need to be concerned about.

Advertisement