Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Say hello to the the newest member of BEVOC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    Implied range of 189km, that's very good. Your speeds were low though, I don't think I could live with that. Even if I would only have to do that on the occasional longer trip. I'd be afraid I would lose my concentration.

Agreed re speed but I wanted to get some sort of numbers that are easily understood, by me!
    I had the 31 km left but no warnings, I think they start at 25 remaining
    I will do it again, at 100km/hr, from Newlands X on Saturday as we have a gig in Carlow, however will have a passenger...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Agreed re speed but I wanted to get some sort of numbers that are easily understood, by me!
    I had the 31 km left but no warnings, I think they start at 25 remaining
    I will do it again, at 100km/hr, from Newlands X on Saturday as we have a gig in Carlow, however will have a passenger...

Both use bathroom before leaving.
    Don't eat breakfast.
    Expel any gases prior to entering car.

You should make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kceire wrote: »
    Expel any gases prior to entering car.

No!

Gases are lighter than air, so they reduce the total weight of the vehicle. If you can't hold it in any longer, then make sure to expel when facing forward to enhance forward propulsion of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'll be welcome to Cork, Honda. I will be very interested in your trip write up of tomorrow.

Water John wrote: »
    You'll be welcome to Cork, Honda. I will be very interested in your trip write up of tomorrow.
    Thanks, my late mother's people are buried in Ballvourney so i have the passport!

My charging plan is to fill up in Urlingford and then top up in Fermoy, which will leave me enough to get back to Fermoy from Cobh on Thursday as there ia little enough charging in Cobh/Fota Island.
    Might be able to play a few CD's with that plan:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think there is a small charger behind some corner in the hotel.
    Know Ballyvourney well. Was at a funeral there last Sat/Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057575838/1/#post99146516

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Know Ballyvourney well. Was at a funeral there last Sat/Sun.
    There is... used it myself last year. We stayed in Fota Island resort - but the staff had no idea that they had a charger :)
    found it on an the side of some sort of store shed in the car park to the right of the main enterance

So my original plan was
    "My charging plan is to fill up in Urlingford and then top up in Fermoy, which will leave me enough to get back to Fermoy from Cobh on Thursday as there ia little enough charging in Cobh/Fota Island."

Drove 133 kms [100km/hr for 106 kms] to Ballacolla and had 31 left.
    Opening SOC was 95.5% and at Ballacolla 20%
    Ambient 13 to 16 degrees, dry, no wind.
    Took on 22kW in 28 minutes

Could have made Urlingford but this one is more accessible.

Stopped in Fermoy as planned and plugged in, took on 11kw in 13 minutes and pulled the plug as temp was just at red: 41degrees C in Leafspy.

Drove cross country rather than motorway to Fota, eventually found charge point: ICEd!
    Drove to the CP in Cobh with 10 km left and left it charge for an hour.

This morning was at the CP in Fota at 06:45 and plugged in until 16:30, its a 4.7kW, car at 98% SOC at 16:30
    Drove 149km to Ballacolla at 90 km/hr, had 26 left.
    Took on 23 kW in 31 mins and drove the last 130 km mostly at 100km/hr: 25 left at end.

Stopped in Portlaois to scope the FCP there: taxi plugged in, fully charged, e-cars showed it available, where as in Ballacolla when I plugged in it showed it unavailable pretty much straight away...
    Seems this is a problem in Gorey as well, taxi hogging the FCP all day.

Conclusion:
    Cork very doable with one stop if you have access to a non FCP at that end, so requires an overnight or else a 22kw charger.
    Day return not possible due to overheating on second FCP.
    However most enjoyable drive each way.

Next up: day trip to Carlow on Saturday.

ps Fota island CPs pic added: this is a temp location, on wall of substation, while they redo part of car park.
    3 Tesla Cps!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

So my original plan was
    "My charging plan is to fill up in Urlingford and then top up in Fermoy, which will leave me enough to get back to Fermoy from Cobh on Thursday as there ia little enough charging in Cobh/Fota Island."

Drove 133 kms [100km/hr for 106 kms] to Ballacolla and had 31 left.
    Opening SOC was 95.5% and at Ballacolla 20%
    Ambient 13 to 16 degrees, dry, no wind.
    Took on 22kW in 28 minutes

Could have made Urlingford but this one is more accessible.

Stopped in Fermoy as planned and plugged in, took on 11kw in 13 minutes and pulled the plug as temp was just at red: 41degrees C in Leafspy.

Drove cross country rather than motorway to Fota, eventually found charge point: ICEd!
    Drove to the CP in Cobh with 10 km left and left it charge for an hour.

This morning was at the CP in Fota at 06:45 and plugged in until 16:30, its a 4.7kW, car at 98% SOC at 16:30
    Drove 149km to Ballacolla at 90 km/hr, had 26 left.
    Took on 23 kW in 31 mins and drove the last 130 km mostly at 100km/hr: 25 left at end.

Stopped in Portlaois to scope the FCP there: taxi plugged in, fully charged, e-cars showed it available, where as in Ballacolla when I plugged in it showed it unavailable pretty much straight away...
    Seems this is a problem in Gorey as well, taxi hogging the FCP all day.

Conclusion:
    Cork very doable with one stop if you have access to a non FCP at that end, so requires an overnight or else a 22kw charger.
    Day return not possible due to overheating on second FCP.
    However most enjoyable drive each way.

Next up: day trip to Carlow on Saturday.

ps Fota island CPs pic added: this is a temp location, on wall of substation, while they redo part of car park.
    3 Tesla Cps!

Im surprised at the heat issues , The 30 kwh is a goo bit more sensitive to heat as the charge taper is a lot less then 24 kwh

you must have FCP charged before you left , my own experience is that while the 2kWh can handle 4 FCP sessions in a row ( or in a 12-15 day ) The 30 kWh cannot, leaving the 24 kWh paradoxically as the car that can travel further in on session !!

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    Im surprised at the heat issues , The 30 kwh is a goo bit more sensitive to heat as the charge taper is a lot less then 24 kwh

you must have FCP charged before you left , my own experience is that while the 2kWh can handle 4 FCP sessions in a row ( or in a 12-15 day ) The 30 kWh cannot, leaving the 24 kWh paradoxically as the car that can travel further in on session !!

Thanks for insights.
    Not an FCP.
    It got about 5 hrs on a 22kW in Malahide Dart station from about 08:00 and I crossed the M50 toll at 14:30 ....
    That unit pushes about 5.75 kW in a hour.
    Anyway, looks like I will need to replicate a similar mission to check it out again.:)
    [Its in Belgard now for its first service this morning so relegated to the ICE for gym trip now at 0600} :(

Ps this also explains why there are no issues, yet, with the Taxi batteries thus far on multiple daily FCPs" they are mostly 24 kW for which there is longer term data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Thanks for insights.
    Not an FCP.
    It got about 5 hrs on a 22kW in Malahide Dart station from about 08:00 and I crossed the M50 toll at 14:30 ....
    That unit pushes about 5.75 kW in a hour.
    Anyway, looks like I will need to replicate a similar mission to check it out again.:)
    [Its in Belgard now for its first service this morning so relegated to the ICE for gym trip now at 0600} :(

Cala, I bet you enjoy the silence when leaving the house at 5 in the morning :D

I have an offer of a supply and fit for the above that will also provide a REC certificate for the house and get the earth neutralisation issue resolved.

Can the Tethered cable be easily removed, if I want to implement some additional security features once they have all gone away..?
    PS
    New TCU fitted this week so now on line with the car!
    Also got the full size spare tyre so all done now, except to drive it, am clocking 1,000 kms/week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I have an offer of a supply and fit for the above that will also provide a REC certificate for the house and get the earth neutralisation issue resolved.

Can the Tethered cable be easily removed, if I want to implement some additional security features once they have all gone away..?
    PS
    New TCU fitted this week so now on line with the car!
    Also got the full size spare tyre so all done now, except to drive it, am clocking 1,000 kms/week

I had a look inside the same unit and it would be easily removed by the looks of it.

What kind of additional security are you talking about?

You could just kill the switch, or anchor the head of the unit with a mini u-lock if you wanted to.

Am looking at putting the actual unit in a box on the wall or else inside the garage with cable through the wall in a smaller box.
    Just want to know is it easy enough to remove and replace the tethered cable or is it all sealed up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Am looking at putting the actual unit in a box on the wall or else inside the garage with cable through the wall in a smaller box.
    Just want to know is it easy enough to remove and replace the tethered cable or is it all sealed up..

It is not sealed. Similar to the cable and plug of any heavy duty appliances.
    Once you open it you void the warranty though...

peposhi wrote: »

Thats what I read somewhere but not bothered.. Thanks anyway

peposhi wrote: »

It needs to be opened to install it. There is also no seal that would be broken when opened.

Got this done today.

The iPod is in the space under the cover in the "transmission shaft" in the back.

I ran a USB extension cable from the front.

Pictures at https://goo.gl/photos/Kw1ujASH94oxqCA7A

Not trying to win the Pulitzer prize for fotos so they are what they are!
    Its all pretty easy to do, am happy to answer any questions, I ran an aux cable as well while it was all stripped out.

The blue Lidl mushroom container is patented....
    Left the boot lace in for pulling through a screened unswitched power cable for a charging point back there at some point

ps: there its no front to back access on the driverside, only the passenger side

I suppose i should post up my dashcam install soon. Ive been so lazy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

So u have it always connected, charging and also feeding music to the car? All controls done via car's buttons?
    Why there? Is this the only place where you could "bury" it so it's not visible?

Mope wrote: »
    So u have it always connected, charging and also feeding music to the car? All controls done via car's buttons?
    Why there? Is this the only place where you could "bury" it so it's not visible?

Yep, its out of the way back there and easily accessed if I want to update the iPod. No room under the cups holder and did not want it exposed.
    Using aUSB for music was not great as no tracks shown.

All controls from front, on my rig the iPod menu is replicated on the screen, it is charged as well, really happy with it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Using aUSB for music was not great as no tracks shown.

I have a 16gb Micro USB in mu USB slot and it displays albums, song titles etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

kceire wrote: »
    I have a 16gb Micro USB in mu USB slot and it displays albums, song titles etc

I have a bog standard USB stick and I get all the info too.

in passing, what works with the aux?
    I tried the iPod nano, no joy, the headphone out from the phone works.

Also: whats the story with DAB radio?

I read in manual of my car (Ioniq) that not all USBs will be recognized by the car. Even the factor it being with or without cable, or with or without adapter also plays it's role.
    As for AUX I always wondered, when you plug your phone via this cable to car - does car takeover the actual playing from Phone or Phone still is pushing (generating) music as it would be some external speakers. Like, how heavy this setup would be on phone's battery?

That being said, I do not see myself using AUX when BT audio is there. Cannot wait to listen to my online radio while commuting (www.di.fm if anyone asks)

As per OP: I am finally officially member of a group with IONIQ EV in Platinum Silver which I picked up this afternoon from Fairview Hyundai.

Very busy at work to catch up with everything so no expanding on my current feelings, but they are all very much awesome :D

As per OP: I am finally officially member of a group with IONIQ EV in Platinum Silver which I picked up this afternoon from Fairview Hyundai.

Very busy at work to catch up with everything so no expanding on my current feelings, but they are all very much awesome :D

As per OP!: I believe I am the OP in this thread and the last time I looked I have a Leaf, and now I find out you are not a true believer:D

Anyway, I wish you the best with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As for AUX I always wondered, when you plug your phone via this cable to car - does car takeover the actual playing from Phone or Phone still is pushing (generating) music as it would be some external speakers. Like, how heavy this setup would be on phone's battery?

That being said, I do not see myself using AUX when BT audio is there. Cannot wait to listen to my online radio while commuting (www.di.fm if anyone asks)

AUX is the same as plugging into speakers, it is still the phone who is generating and pushing out the audio. However a good car entertainment would take that input and then boost it for the cars larger speakers, like a powered amp does.

Over all it shouldn't stress the phones battery much. I'm not sure about Android, but I know that the iPhone has very high audio playback, iPhone 6s is 50 hours for audio playback with screen off.

BTW Bluetooth gives you worse battery time then using Aux and lower sound quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

goz83 wrote:
    I suppose i should post up my dashcam install soon. Ive been so lazy

Just did mine yesterday. I was delighted that I was able to hide the wire ðŸ˜

Advertisement