Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Market Roof/canopy?

• 05-04-2017 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Was up this way yesterday for first time on a couple of weeks.....not sure what to make of it...never realized it was going to cover the entire paved area in the 'triangular area'....in any case I supppse I should reserve judgement until it's all finished....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm wondering how are they gonna keep it clean, be nice target practice for the birdies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Stupid question.... but is all that area pedestrainised now, no driving up new st anymore?

shockwave wrote:
    Stupid question.... but is all that area pedestrainised now, no driving up new st anymore?

I don't think so but I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Sounds like a great idea, fair play to them.
    There are many such covered areas in other countries, birds are not usually a massive issue as far as I know ?
    Train stations for example are often open to the elements, therefore allowing birds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

shockwave wrote: »

There will be driving, up new street direction, one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gobo99

As far as i know the street will be one way but eventually it will be the opposite direction to what it is now, new st onto John st. Road will be realigned running down in front of the hub, ginos kazbar. Leaving predestined area in front of USA shop, baby care etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Snapped a couple of pics a little earlier
    hTuiDy8.jpg

MTpvPOf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Looking great, this will be another asset to the city's growing street scape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Say there's fire in the attic area of one of the buildings around Applemarket.

How will the fire service gain access ABOVE the canopy to put the fire down?

Will they have to break through the glazing first?
    Will there be any functional openings to fight fire in such cases?

Just a "shower thought".

• Advertisement

beazee wrote: »

Just a "shower thought".

The canopy is higher than top floor of buildings, so it's not an issue for fire fighters, plus,fire fighters aim at base of fire as you should do if ever using an extinguisher.No need to get over canopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Just a "shower thought".

Sure if you look at anything like that in the shower or elsewhere you'll come up with a problem!

Just a "shower thought".

i been informed the glazing is in fact perspex and id imagine or certainly like to think your scenario has been taken into consideration during the planning phase. id say theyd smash through it if they had to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

shockwave wrote: »

Pretty sure there doing the same with Lady Lane too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Had a look there today and was wondering what provision/plans/funding the council has in place for maintenance and upkeep. Wont take long in our damp climate for the "roof" to start getting slimy green algae or even mould spores. Hope ongoing costs like that have been factored in.

Sosurface wrote: »
    Had a look there today and was wondering what provision/plans/funding the council has in place for maintenance and upkeep. Wont take long in our damp climate for the "roof" to start getting slimy green algae or even mould spores. Hope ongoing costs like that have been factored in.

Mould spores.....have a day off so surface, its a wide open area, no danger from spores.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Max Powers wrote: »
    Mould spores.....have a day off so surface, its a wide open area, no danger from spores.
    Max Powers. Its the name that loves to hear itself. Max Powers knows everything about everything. Its Max Powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

What's the craic with john st when its finished, can cars go up it and then left as previously or is it becoming pedestrian only?

It's being paved for people not cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

It's being paved for people not cars.

How do people in spring gardens get cars into their property so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

kayevajo wrote: »
    How do people in spring gardens get cars into their property so?

Possibly they are going in and out off of Colbeck St.? Passed there recently and I'm sure the bollards were removed. I remember years ago it was open to drive in and out of.

I was under impression it will remain open to vehicles one way only so residents should have no issues except they exit up new street instead of out John street.that's what it looks like on council outline plans for urban renewal works I think.

Maybe they are going to allow vehicles down along the side that goes past the bank entrance which links to Spring Garden Alley. I have to say I'd close it to traffic as much as possible or what's the point of making it pedestrian friendly?

Maybe they are going to allow vehicles down along the side that goes past the bank entrance which links to Spring Garden Alley. I have to say I'd close it to traffic as much as possible or what's the point of making it pedestrian friendly?

Yeah, that's what looks like on drawings, down along ginos/an siopa, sharp left then up new street or down spring garden.big tv where that billboard is, close whole area off and watch Ireland win the world cup....that's the dream anyway.

Max Powers wrote:
    Yeah, that's what looks like on drawings, down along ginos/an siopa, sharp left then up new street or down spring garden.big tv where that billboard is, close whole area off and watch Ireland win the world cup....that's the dream anyway.

Big screen would be a great idea there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Is John Street to be completely pedestrianised then? This needs to happen due to high density of bars and restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The relevant bit of the plan. It's as Max says above.
    NQqMhGk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

JohnC. wrote: »
    The relevant bit of the plan. It's as Max says above.
    NQqMhGk.jpg

Isn't the orange part on that just for access for work vehicles too? In the images it's completely paved, ya couldn't have cars driving past on a paved street with no boundary with people everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Deiseen wrote: »
    Isn't the orange part on that just for access for work vehicles too? In the images it's completely paved, ya couldn't have cars driving past on a paved street with no boundary with people everywhere[/quot

I think it will be akin to the main square in Dungarvan. I.e. What you call a 'shared surface'.....pedestrians, cyclists and motorized vehicles all interacting in harmony......the theory is that the uncertainty of it all will slow down the vehicles and therefore make it safer!

Advertisement