Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wim Hof Method - Breathing Techniques

Options
  • 23-01-2017 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever done this? I have started doing it and it's quite surreal. Normally I take a lot of this kind of stuff with a pinch of salt but something about this intrigued me, especially since he has scientifically proven the benefits.

Basically, I am finding that I am gassing a lot and I want to increase my energy levels. I am getting older (40 in April) and have a high pressure job, 2 young kids (one is 4 and the other is 6 months) so I find that I am shattered before I go training... plus most of the lads I train with are late teens/ early twenties.

I was chatting with one of the lads and he mentioned this and said he has found it excellent so I started trying it over the weekend. I did my second session last night and didn't breath for just under 2 mins. I felt unbelievably energised after it so I am hoping that it may help me training tonight.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done it and how they found it.

Here is a bit about the method: http://highexistence.com/the-wim-hof-method-revealed-how-to-consciously-control-your-immune-system/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

Have done it for a while and hope to get to one of his workshops this year.

Have you ever tried any form of meditation before? To me a lot of what you describe is the benefits of regular meditation sounds like you have a bit of stress in your day to day routine and this will help for sure.

I have done meditation for some time and a lot of breathing work in free diving. It is a simple and great system.

His methods are very interesting and I want to spend more time with the cold exposure stuff to really test that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Have done it for a while and hope to get to one of his workshops this year.

Have you ever tried any form of meditation before? To me a lot of what you describe is the benefits of regular meditation sounds like you have a bit of stress in your day to day routine and this will help for sure.

I have done meditation for some time and a lot of breathing work in free diving. It is a simple and great system.

His methods are very interesting and I want to spend more time with the cold exposure stuff to really test that out.

I have tried meditation before but I tend to just fall asleep! I am a bit stressed but I have learned to control that.... or should I say, I have learned to try not to control my life and accept that I can only do my best.

Went training last night and I definitely trained longer and harder but I also got a good night's sleep and ate some food before training so that might be the reason... I can't see the harm in it anyhow and I definitely feel energised after doing the breathing, still not too hot on trying the cold showers but I may give them a shot too!

Haha I agree I tried a few methods and the same thing used to happen until I found styles that suited me. For sure really working on your breathing has some massive benefits and it amazes me how ignored it tends to be. Once you are aware of your breath and how to breath well it can really change your performance in things. One thing worth trying is a round or two of the breathing before training.

I have done some of the cold exposure but want to go a bit deep on it I started as he suggests with 10s cold showers and added a few seconds each time. He was doing a challenge on his FB page on the showers recently might be worth a try if you want to get started.

Its great to hear more people benefit from this though it is some really amazing stuff he is doing.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Straighenup

Its funny, I just heard about this the other day and I've come across it randomly about 10 times since. Have you seen the Ted talk where he's covered in ice? Would come in handy for keeping the gas bill down in winter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I came across this somewhere else last month! It is fascinating. I tried it once.and just got kind a mad buzz. Kind of a high from essentially asphyxiating myself. I did read about the mad scientific stuff including fighting off e coli in a medical environment. Just fascinating. The guy has a lot or charisma and is a kind of cult like figure.

• Advertisement

Yeah he has a fair following now but unlike many similar people he is actively trying to work with science to see how the things he does works.

Advertisement