Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ardree Site Sold

• 02-04-2017 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Just to knock the misery guts below down a bit. It’s official now the Ardree site is sold and 5 star hotel planned.

https://twitter.com/damienrte/status/848627520832516098

Can’t wait for it to reopen. The view is fantastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,781 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus, things are changing fast for waterford over the last few weeks. this is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

angry-baby.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Good news local investment and local jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Wonder will it be knocked and rebuilt from the ground up, can't imagine it's in great shape at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wonder will it be knocked and rebuilt from the ground up, can't imagine it's in great shape at the moment?

Nope, he said today that it's going to be a refurb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The whole structure looked pretty ropey from the last pictures I saw but presumably they've had the surveyors in and the fallen floors/ceilings count as non structural.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The whole structure looked pretty ropey from the last pictures I saw but presumably they've had the surveyors in and the fallen floors/ceilings count as non structural.

Interesting. Maybe this building comes from those legendary times when structures were built to survive a nuclear blast! It's such a local landmark that it would be nice to have it refurbished and looking modern and nice again.

Apparently he wants a rooftop bar on it. Now that would be a place worth going to of a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

fricatus wrote: »
    Interesting. Maybe this building comes from those legendary times when structures were built to survive a nuclear blast! It's such a local landmark that it would be nice to have it refurbished and looking modern and nice again.

Apparently he wants a rooftop bar on it. Now that would be a place worth going to of a night!

And a dip in the rooftop swimming pool!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »

Hardly,
    It was opened in the 1960's, the same decade thats brought us the Waterford train station.

Personally I think the eye sore should be knocked, if they aren't going to knock it then they need to do a serious visual change to the front of the building.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Hardly,
    It was opened in the 1960's, the same decade thats brought us the Waterford train station.

Personally I think the eye sore should be knocked, if they aren't going to knock it then they need to do a serious visual change to the front of the building.

possibly but you d be surprised what can be done in refurbishments. theres some fantastic ideas and possibilities in that industry, very imaginative people in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Has there been any update on this since the purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Has there been any update on this since the purchase?

Have not seen any planning permission submitted yet. But there has been activity on the site since it was sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

If you google Waterford city council planning, and you get their website you can use the planning map to see what planning permission has been put in anywhere in Waterford as far back as the 60's its very interesting.

But anyway no planning has been put forward for the hotel

If you google Waterford city council planning, and you get their website you can use the planning map to see what planning permission has been put in anywhere in Waterford as far back as the 60's its very interesting.

maybe hes waiting to see what happens with the north quays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Wanderer78 wrote: »

He was on the radio last year and he said it wouldn't be opening for 3 years at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Rob stated above that he is waiting on part of NQ development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

The owners of a certain city hotel aren't exactly helping to speed the process along,if you follow me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

jelutong wrote: »
    The owners of a certain city hotel aren't exactly helping to speed the process along,if you follow me.

Go on....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

iseegirls wrote: »
    Go on....

Exactly, pretty sure,ardree owner said waiting on north quays, I think they may have started stripping place out but no major refurb work by any stretch, there is no gossip, no hotel stopping it, or any other news there.I think whatever OP heard is usual bar stool stuff, inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Max Powers wrote: »
    iseegirls wrote: »
    Go on....

Exactly, pretty sure,ardree owner said waiting on north quays, I think they may have started stripping place out but no major refurb work by any stretch, there is no gossip, no hotel stopping it, or any other news there.I think whatever OP heard is usual bar stool stuff, inaccurate.

Realistically, the only thing they could hold up is planning permission and we are quiet a bit away from that I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Story I was told is that there has been a challenge issued with regards the legitimacy of the sale from NAMA.

I heard this from a very prominent member of the business community who is pretty spot on most of the time with his info tbf to him. Not like he was boasting about being in the know or anything, came up in a general conversation about the North Quays and how much of an asset the hotel could be when refurbished. Said there was this potential issue, his own take on it is the guy who has filed the claim is looking for a payoff.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Story I was told is that there has been a challenge issued with regards the legitimacy of the sale from NAMA.

I heard this from a very prominent member of the business community who is pretty spot on most of the time with his info tbf to him. Not like he was boasting about being in the know or anything, came up in a general conversation about the North Quays and how much of an asset the hotel could be when refurbished. Said there was this potential issue, his own take on it is the guy who has filed the claim is looking for a payoff.

This is true, no bridge over troubled waters here

Advertisement