Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renua Goes Pro Life

• 02-04-2017 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I see that Renua has now declared itself a Pro Life party and will campaign to retain the 8th Amendment. All its candidates will be asked to sign up to this' Core Principle'. Interesting development and have to say I am surprised as I always thought they were pro Life.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

foglight wrote: »
    I see that Renua has now declared itself a Pro Life party and will campaign to retain the 8th Amendment. All its candidates will be asked to sign up to this' Core Principle'. Interesting development and have to say I am surprised as I always thought they were pro Life.

Have you been living under a rock?

Here's what Lucinda had to say in 2013

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/lucinda-creighton-abortion-legislation-973853-Jul2013/%3Famp%3D1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Have you been living under a rock?

Did you read what he wrote, or am I reading it wrong ?

He said, he thought they always were pro life, so he's surprised they are declaring themselves pro life again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Did you read what he wrote, or am I reading it wrong ?

He said, he thought they always were pro life, so he's surprised they are declaring themselves pro life again.

Ah, I thought the last line was a typo and that he meant to say he always thought they were pro-choice :o too early on a Sunday morning for me to be be rattling round the politics forum :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They marketed themselves as being economically right wing but abortion was a free vote of conscience for each of their candidates. That was because a few of their candidates shared her economic views but felt being pro life wasnt politically expedient or they were actually pro choice.

That strategy failed so I suppose openly declaring themselves as the pro life party is a more honest approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

At this stage, I doubt it matters much what they declare or market themselves as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thats interesting. I wrote to all the candidates in my constituency before the last GE in relation to the 8th as I was genuinely unsure who to vote for (well I didnt include PBP or Labour, I'm not stupid). The reply I got from the Renua candidate is certainly at odds with their pro-life stance. I wouldnt say he was alone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

keano_afc wrote: »
    Thats interesting. I wrote to all the candidates in my constituency before the last GE in relation to the 8th as I was genuinely unsure who to vote for (well I didnt include PBP or Labour, I'm not stupid). The reply I got from the Renua candidate is certainly at odds with their pro-life stance. I wouldnt say he was alone either.
    Didn't something similar happen with that guy Chambers from FF at the last election? I'm not in that constituency (AFAIK it's the same one Varadkar is in - Dublin West?), but I vaguely recall that he only came out as staunchly pro-life after the election and apparently he was very non-committal about it during campaigning.

If I was in that constituency I would have been very angry if I gave him a preference!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Good to see at least one party bucking the consensus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Didn't something similar happen with that guy Chambers from FF at the last election? I'm not in that constituency (AFAIK it's the same one Varadkar is in - Dublin West?), but I vaguely recall that he only came out as staunchly pro-life after the election and apparently he was very non-committal about it during campaigning.

If I was in that constituency I would have been very angry if I gave him a preference!

A lot of people were angry about him before the election because he was selected over a longer established and fairly popular candidate because of his family's party connections. And he then managed to alienate a whole new bunch of people with his comments after he was elected because in his view he didn't believe that people should have a vote on repealing the 8th simply "because he was pro-life".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Palmach wrote: »

Bit of a stretch to call them a party - might as well call a bunch of people down at the local pub a party at that rate of going. How many elected representatives at any level have they? They got handed the peoples opinion in the last GE and now they're just too embarrassed to quietly fade away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Renua still exists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Palmach wrote: »

Huh? Have FG came out as pro-choice all of a sudden?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Bit of a stretch to call them a party - might as well call a bunch of people down at the local pub a party at that rate of going. How many elected representatives at any level have they? They got handed the peoples opinion in the last GE and now they're just too embarrassed to quietly fade away....

Didn't they field a ridiculous amount of candidates aswell? At one stage it looked like any old joe could run under their banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Of the candidates that replied to my mail, only one stated their own opinion. The rest gave non-committal scripted answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

I am glad they have embraced this principle.

Does anyone know whether they are advocating the absurd belief that "life begins at conception"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Does anyone know whether they are advocating the absurd belief that "life begins at conception"?

Whether or not personhood begins at conception is of course up for argument but saying life begins at conception is hardly absurd.

Whether or not personhood begins at conception is of course up for argument but saying life begins at conception is hardly absurd.
    So you do or you don't know the answer to the question? I'm not really interested in discussing what I find to be absurd, nonsensical, illogical and ancient beliefs here. If one demands that this opinion of theirs is "up for argument" that's fine, but I also have the equally valid claim to be entitled to my opinion.

Advertisement